Aftershave with Alchohol

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Magnus6208

Aftershave with Alchohol

Post by Magnus6208 »

Greetings everyone,

I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on aftershave splashes (old spice, aqua velva, brut, etc.) that contains alchohol. While I do enjoy the scents that they produce, I have read that those that contain alchohol will dry your face out. Is there any truth to this?

I am currently using Pre de Provence After Shave Balm (which I thoroughly enjoy) which I obtained last week from WCS (along with a Merkur 33C, Proraso Shave Cream, and Crystal Double edge Razor blades). I already owned a badger hair shaving brush from Crabtree & Evelyn that I have been using for about 6 years with Col. Conks.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Thanks for the advice.

best,

Gary
IanM

Post by IanM »

Hi Gary,

Here's some more rambling :wink:

I suspect that the effect of splashes depends upon the ingredients of the splash and your skin type.

Some splashes are very basic, others contain nice things like Witch Hazel or Glycerin, which help the skin.

Personally, I find that an hour or two after using an alcohol based a/s, that my skin can become dry in some areas, but as the day progresses this changes, and my skin feel very moisturised. It's a strange thing, and seems humidity/weather influenced. If it's a very dry day, my skin can feel tight to a point where it feels uncomfortable, and it's at this stage when I know that I should have used a balm. Some people use an a/s and then a balm.

It goes without saying, ymmv.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I took the liberty of moving your thread to the Aftershaves & Colognes section.

Well, this question/issue is as old as the shave forums. In the early years most members bought the story that high alcohol content A/Ss were 'bad'....would dry out the skin and so forth. A very few, like Squire especially, challenged the then prevailing common wisdom, because, truth to tell, many of those members had gotten their opinion from the cosmetics industry, and had not actually ever tried traditional A/Ss. Well, over time, more gents here did try them, and for some they turned out to be just the ticket. But certainly not for all. One's choice of aftershave product is really very individual, and it takes some shavers quite a bit of experimentation to find which are ideal for them. Personally, my skin isn't happy with high alcohol content A/S but doesn't like balms either. So, I had to find products that were sort of inbetween; light weight, but not a lot of alcohol.
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

I would agree that it is very individual; and, my skin can change from day to day.

I use it all. Balms (PreDProvence, Nivea, and Skin Food), Alcohol Aftershaves, and even Witch Hazel, depending on my mood or skin condition. After you have tried stuff out you can figure out what you need.

Currently my favorite after shave treatment is Proraso Dopobarba, which will burn like Hell if you have had a rough shave. My least favorite after shave treatment is Witch Hazel, which tends to make my skin feel rubbery? If my skin feels dry or sore, I'll use a Balm or Skin Food.
Regards,
Andy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

No rules here Gary, just preferences. The ones you mentioned are inexpensive so try them and if you like them, use them. The only alcohol that dries me out is the type taken internally.
Regards,
Squire
javyn

Post by javyn »

Well, I think that would depend on a lot of things. Here in humid Houston, TX, I can use whatever A/S I want. I normally use Aqua Velva, and I have no problem at all with my face drying out.

This "alochol = bad" thing seems to have been around since American Psycho came out in theatres.
John
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I won't even consider an aftershave without alcohol, and the higher the alcohol content the better. I'm one of those masochists who enjoys the "sting", or rather its instant numbing/antiseptic properties.

Proraso's after shave is my favourite, as it also has the cooling effect of menthol and the toning effect of Witch Hazel.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I will use both splashes and balms alone or in combination all depending on how my face is feeling after my shave and rinse. My preference is to splashes especially Thayers After Shave which contains alcohol and witch hazel, with a light coating of balm if needed.
Good shaving,

Gary
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Squire wrote:No rules here Gary, just preferences. The ones you mentioned are inexpensive so try them and if you like them, use them. The only alcohol that dries me out is the type taken internally.
LOL Squire - I think that effect is pretty universal, depending on the quantities.

For me, AS products with alcohol are OK, and I use them some of the time. However, I find that even with a slightly rough shave, alcohol will ADD to the irritation, where a balm or witch hazel will HELP.

Best ... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Squire wrote:No rules here Gary, just preferences. The ones you mentioned are inexpensive so try them and if you like them, use them. The only alcohol that dries me out is the type taken internally.
+1 to that!

Gary, if you try Clubman Bay Rum you will learn what alcohol on your face after a shave is all about.....Ya' Howdy!!!
Regards,
David
Tommy C

Post by Tommy C »

The best way is to try them out. They are not expensive to why not.
If you have sensitive skin it may get irritated but you just have to give it a shot.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Put me down as an alcohol splasher. I nick myself so often these days that I need disinfectant in my aftershave. Also I find most balms are greasy and unpleasant to me. The only major exception was a sample of Anherb shaving gel I got from Shaving Essentials.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Another here who uses both. I rub on some Clinique Aftershave Soother, then splash on the Brut. No greasiness with the Clinique, and the Brut doesn't dry my face out.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

Strictly alcohol for me. The balms make my skin fell slimy.
~Greg
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Definitely depends on your skin. I have oily skin which gets shiny and greasy feeling from balms, and even milks on all but the driest days. I do like the alcohol splashes with a little moisturizing so my skin doesn't over-produce oil in reaction. My current favorite is the splash from The Shave Den, though I have several I'll be trying out over time.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
vwxy474

Cooking

Post by vwxy474 »

So long to Spam
Oldsmoothie

Post by Oldsmoothie »

I'm an alcohol man. Both externally and internally. :D
David

The Earth is a school and the Human Race is still in Kindergarten.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Personally, I like to "feel the burn." I find that Trumper's Skin Food after an alcohol-based splash leaves my skin soft without greasiness, and the lime scent fades so quickly it won't interfere with another fragrance.
Jim
Magnus6208

Post by Magnus6208 »

My favorite so far (considering both the smell that I find appealing as well as the way it makes my face feel) has to be Pinaud Clubman After Shave. It kind of reminds me of my Grandpa but that is probably why I live it so much. The scent lingers all day long. I love this stuff!!