Gillette 7 O'clock Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Squire wrote:Think I will try these both again.
Please do. I'm very interested in seeing your comparison between then two.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I used and reviewed both in my reviews in the sticky at the top of this forum. What remains to be seen is whether these new blades cropping up are the same as those I reviewed.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, might be interesting. As we know, there was a a small gap in time when the Super Iridiums were unavailable, and then they surfaced again. There was some talk that this was the period that they moved production from one plant to another. I never used the SIs before, only the recent batch. The 7 O'clocks, on the other hand, were a while ago now.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I tried rubbing the glue spots off a 7o'clock this week before using with a Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover, which is mostly acetone, a very powerful solvent. The glue spots were reduced a little, but not that much. The solvent did, however, remove the striations on the blade table, and smeared just a bit the black ink graphic stamp. What showed was that this blade is PTFE coated, but still not as smooth as a Polsilver or a Super Iridium.

Even with improved technique there was more irritation, but tolerable, and a good shave overall.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Way back when I first tried these I got such great shaves that I mourned the fact that I couldn't get more (at the time) Then they turned up in
Great Britain and I got a hundred. Lately I'm still using the last of the original batch but can't seem to get a decent shave from them. I lost whatever technique allowed it in the first place. I got better shaves from a Supermax w/ platinum. Go figure.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I got to try a 7 o'clock today for the 1st time. I was impressed. I used Merkur for the longest and then got some Israeli Personnas, Wilkinsons and then Feather and Derby. I had Feather 1st, Derby second, a distant third was IP. Well, then I tried Swedes and they tied the Feather. Now that the Swedes are history, the Seven will take the spot just right behind Feather. For me, Feathers work a whole week and then I can use the old blade in a Slant bar for bladebuffing. The 7 was very, very smooth, and I do not know what the price on them is, but if it continues for a week and the 7 is cheaper, new blade. I still have a Treet, a Kai, and a few other brands to try and am curious if the Super Iridium is as good.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree Sam, these are excellent blades. The last time I checked they cost about half as much as Feathers.
Regards,
Squire
hookem11

Post by hookem11 »

Sam,
7 O'Clock Yellow are 5 for $2.25 and 100 for $34.00 at West Coast Shaving
Regards,
Al
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hmm, I was buying these from Gio for about $20 per hundred and it looks like they are higher now. Funny how that happens once favorable comments start cropping up on the shaving boards.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Squire, that is about what I paid for my Feathers 2 years ago.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam I just did some checking and there seems to have been substantial increases in blade prices from all sources.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Paul at connaught seems to have a good deal on the 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Connaught is where I got my hundred. Don't recall the price. Hope I can figure out what works in my Futur. Maybe I need a less aggressive setting. Was using 3, but now I find the Supermax works very well at about 1.8.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One advantage to the Futur is that it can be set anywhere.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Hmm, I was buying these from Gio for about $20 per hundred and it looks like they are higher now. Funny how that happens once favorable comments start cropping up on the shaving boards.
Another factor is the decline of the dollar in international markets in recent months.

It now takes about 20 cents more to make a GBP than it did when I last ordered from Connaught.
lotuselanman

Post by lotuselanman »

I am begining to think I am the only one! I hate these blades they are so rough I cant shave with them. I started off on Feathers and realised they caused too many weepers, moved on to Sweedes which were great and since their demise I tried a few different ones, finally sticking with the Tesco blades which are almost as good.

My hair on my face lies very flat, ie the whiskers do not poke up which often causes ingrowns but I just cant use these yellow packet 7 oclocks especially against the grain which is what I need because of my hair growth direction. The scraping they cause makes we wince. To me they are really blunt.

I have tried several in two packets I got from Connaught, so it doesnt seem a bad batch.

Strange case of YMMV!!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I don't hate them, but I wasn't that enthusiastic either. To me, the yellow 7s seemed sharp, but not very smooth, kind of 'unfinished', like a coating or two was missing. The Iridiums seemed a bit better in this regard.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Doesn't sound like they work for you lotus, other than Tesco have you found a brand that does?
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

After the rumor of the demise of the Super Iridiums, I purchased 120 of the SharpEdge blades in hopes that they would be similar. I was not disappointed. In fact, I can't tell the difference. All is well.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have used the Yellows and found the Iridiums Supers to be superior; however, Iridiums are out of production now so Yellows are an acceptable SUBSTITUTE...
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)