How long to let the lather sit on your face......

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
HBK42581

How long to let the lather sit on your face......

Post by HBK42581 »

before you take the razor to it? I don't let mine sit very long and I'm thinking that this may be an important step in my prep that I am missing currently.
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Hi Scott

I don't think this is too important to woryy about, for me by the time I have dried my hands from lathering and dipped my razor in the water, I'm about ready to go. Some will say that certain creams need to stand a while on your face prior to shaving e.g. Proraso, but I have been using this for a long time now and cannot see any difference IMO.

As long as you have built a good lather which has adequate cushion I shouldn't worry.

All the best
John
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

same as what john says for me too

lather and go for it

marc
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

As long as it takes me to put down the brush, grab the razor and swish the razor in the sink.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I don't let it sit on my face at all. However, I spend a couple of minutes applying it for the first pass.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

GA Russell wrote:I don't let it sit on my face at all. However, I spend a couple of minutes applying it for the first pass.
I'm in the same boat. I actually take more time lathering than I do shaving. Once I get the lather to my liking I start to shave.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Straight shavers typically let the lather sit on their face while they strop. Not me. I strop then lather. I don't think you're missing out on anything.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nor do I. Like those who have already responded, I spend a little time working the lather on my face, but then just wet the razor and go.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Scott

go backwards. After your last pass lather your face and let it sit for a few minutes while you rinse your brush. razor, sink and whatever else you do to clean up. When done, wipe the lather off your face. You will feel like a 'new' man :lol:

Clive
jumping on the lather and shave bandwagon
de gustibus non est disputandum
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

marsos52 wrote:same as what john says for me too

lather and go for it

marc
same here
Take care and God bless,
Steve
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Trumperman wrote:
GA Russell wrote:I don't let it sit on my face at all. However, I spend a couple of minutes applying it for the first pass.
I'm in the same boat. I actually take more time lathering than I do shaving. Once I get the lather to my liking I start to shave.

Regards,

Bill
Works for me.
Regards,
David
drumana

Post by drumana »

Sometimes I let the lather sit on my face for a while. Can't hurt none, and it feels and smells good. It may or may not soften up the beard and moisturize the skin a bit. I'm not sure... Most of the time I take a good couple of minutes lathering up and then just get to shaving.

Try it for a week or so and let us know if there is any difference in your shaves.
-Andrew-
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

When I use a straight, I "face lather" (another cause for debate) and strop the razor with the lather on my face. With a DE, I face lather then start shaving.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

I second what Clive said above. After all the passes are done, I lather up one last time as I clean up, then rinse off that lather after the clean up. It does seem to go that extra step and condition the skin before applying any aftershave 8)
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by King-D »

It's a good question, and one I've thought about. As it is, my beard is well prepped with hot water during my shower, so I simply lather and go. But if I didn't have any prep, which would be better: One minute of splashing hot water on my face, or one minute of lather on my face? My guess would be that the lather would soften the whiskers faster.
David

Shave in the shower!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, I normally shave after I shower, but this is really more a matter of convenience and habit. On those rare days when I just shave without the shower, the shave is generally just as good. A liberal splashing with hot water and a well made lather seems sufficent.
Regards,
Gordon
rasel

Post by rasel »

I put some lather on and let it sit for a while (2mins or so). I find I get a better shave this way.
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Hot water followed by working the lather up on my face. I guess I do both since I take about two minutes to lather up. The hot water helps a lot because I notice the lack of softening more if skip the hot water than if I rush the lathering following a good hot water series of splashes.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Magnus6208

Post by Magnus6208 »

I lather up my face and then brush my teeth. By the time that I am done brushing me teeth (2-3 minutes), my beard is nice and soft.