Hot Water & Badger Brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
RazorPacifist

Hot Water & Badger Brushes

Post by RazorPacifist »

Will very hot water (too painful to touch but not boiling) damage badger brush bristles?
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out--it's the grain of sand in your shoe."
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

it is not likely to damage the hair shafts themselves.....but it could damage the glue holding the hairs depending on what was used.

Why? What is your need for super hot water?
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
xChris

Post by xChris »

I've read some posts from others stating that excessively hot water damaged their brushes -- made the hair curl up at the tips.

However, there's also been discussion of a type of super badger hair that would appear to curl, or bend, at the tip as well -- aka "barbed" super. This hair will usually feel scritchy compared to non-barbed super brushes.
Chris
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

When I first started wet shaving with a proper badger (Vulfix) brush - there was a movement here which advocated the use of an electric kettle to heat water - use that water to soak one's brush - and then float your shaving bowl in the hot water to keep your lather warm.

This resulted in curled tips of my brush b/c the water was simply too hot ( the lather didn't fare any better as it had a tendency to breakdown and dry up).

So it's just hot water from the tap and my Moss Scuttle et voila... no issues and wonderful shave.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

Hot tap water works for me.

The general consensus is that excessively hot water ie: too hot to touch, is neither advantageous or recommended for a good shave. In addition to possible damage to the brush, there isnt much to be gained by it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

RP I used boiling point or near temp water soaking the brush while I showered and it didn't seem to hurt any of them.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Should add a couple of these brushes are more than 30 years old and I haven't noticed any curling of tips.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I think that Dave put it succinctly; there is nothing to be gained, a quite possibly, something to lose. Why mess with it?
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I think hot water that is too hot is b-a-d bad bad bad because I believe that the hot water has an effect on the knot which in turn leads to shedding problems.

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
RazorPacifist

Post by RazorPacifist »

It's an idiosyncratic reason. I have practically no sink for shaving. I shave in the shower and place the shaving mug on the window sill. But I do a 3-pass system, so the lather becomes chilly near the end, which is really uncomfortable on my face. So I've started heating the mug with water in it. Keeps the lather and brush really warm, but I'm worried about damaging my brush.

Thanks for all the responses.
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out--it's the grain of sand in your shoe."
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

dude, you need a the famous moss scuttle

http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
RazorPacifist

Post by RazorPacifist »

Thank you for the recommendation, Clive. I have something to save up for now. ;p
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

I wouldn't have the water boiling hot. It may affect the glue that the badger hair sticks to.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

I make a habit of rinsing the brushes in cold water after the hot water rinse. May slow the glue destruction but who knows.

Max