Traveling to Italy - What shaving items to procure?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Satch

Traveling to Italy - What shaving items to procure?

Post by Satch »

I am traveling to Rome and Florence Italy on vacation this Fall.

The question I have is what would be unique Itailian shaving items to secure while in Italia?

As an aside I also partake of smoking a pipe on occasion and will be looking to add to my collection.

Any suggestions or experiences are welcomed.

Satch
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Floid after shaves, much less expensive in Italy than here in the US.

Bring back a case and sell it here at SMF.

Have a good trip!
Good shaving,

Gary
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Bolzano blades and Proraso products up the yin-yang.

Buon viaggio!
cymric

Post by cymric »

Cella, P.160, Valobra.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

While in Roma visit http://anticabarbieria.com/home.htm. Get a shave and pick up some of their house brand shave products if they are available.

Chris
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Definitely the Valobra shave stick. It has become one of my favourite soaps. I would imagine that the bath soaps are equally good.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

My daughter is in Rome until July 2nd. I told her to go into a pharmacy and ask what the best shave stuff is and get it, and bath soaps. She is going to Barcelona this weekend but I doubt she will want to 'shop' for Dad.
colinmono

Post by colinmono »

I can also heartily recommend the Valobra shave stick and Cella, my two current favourite soaps. Omega brushes are good too.
Colin.
giammi

Post by giammi »

Floid aftershaves
Proraso soaps, aftershave, syptic gel
Omega brushes
Santa Maria Novella
Bolzano blades
Prep shaving soap if you like the smell
Acca Kappa brushes
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

First of all, welcome to SMF, Satch!
Second thing, when you go to Italy make sure you bring along a BIG empty suitcase. It won't be empty on the return trip!
Regards,
David
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome Satch!

I don't know how familiar you are with Italian products. Assuming not so much, you might want to look at the list and descriptions of the many Italian products formerly carried by Tryphon's Barbieria Italiana, which is now out of business (although many of their products are now carried by Shoebox Shaveshop).

http://www.razorandbrush.com/indexbarbieria.html

I am very pleased with two Italian products, my Koh-I-Noor brush and Cella soft soap.

I second David's suggestion of bringing along an empty suitcase. Might as well go on a big shopping spree when visiting Italia.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GadgetFreak

Post by GadgetFreak »

Hi Satch:
When in Florence go to the Santa Maria Novella "Farmaceutica" which is in an ancient building off the plaza behind the Santa Maria Novella church, near the train station. The "pharmacy" itself is beautiful (as is the nearby church) and the array of soaps, aftershaves, perfumes, herbs, dried flowers, etc., many allegedly concocted by medieval monks, is impressive. I particularly like the "melagrano" (pomegranate) soap and aftershave. I don't think the shaving foam is worth the money. But you might find a lot of other things that catch your fancy. I should mention: when I was there several years ago the sales staff was molto snooty. They act as if they're doing you a favor by waiting on you. Maybe I didn't spend enough money. I had bought a ton of stuff from the smaller SMN store in Lucca (where I was able to procure a 10% bulk discount) and wanted only a few more things. At the flagship store, they laughted at me while looking down their noses (a feat they had apparently mastered from long experience) when I asked If I could get a discount. Of course, there's a recession on now so I'm sure you'll have a more pleasant experience. Enjoy your trip!
David
Percypurps

Post by Percypurps »

You might try looking for L'amande Homme Zafferano, an excellent hard shaving soap that isn't widely available outside of Italy.

You might also try looking for the Herr & Mann line of products, they do both a soap and a cream along with various A/S products, but the line seems to have been discontinued.

Kindest regards,
Alex
"Just because a chap becomes a ghost, surely it doesn't mean that he ceases to be a gentleman."
greychamp

Post by greychamp »

I recommend I Coloniali shaving soap. It's the best I've ever used in terms of great lather, slip and moisturizing. I also really like the scent.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Check out the wide range of Santa Maria Novella colognes as well as a few others, like Biella. Other than that, I can't think of anything unless you can scare up the products that Alex mentioned.
Regards,
Gordon
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Im going to Rome this sept. and Im gonna get everything but SMN.Im exited to get some Cella,Valobra,Omega,P160,Floid and another local products.