Running water or fill up sink?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
lightupmyroom

Running water or fill up sink?

Post by lightupmyroom »

Hi guys,

Right now I use running water to shave, and am wondering if filling up the sink works as well. I recently got a new vanity and sink, and am now considering giving the new sink a try at this. Does filling up the sink and dipping the razor clean the cream and stubble off the razor as well as running water? I know there are also cost/environmental benefits to filling the sink vs. using running water. So what are your thoughts? Who does this regularly?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sink works well for me.
Regards,
Squire
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

Personally, I run the water until it's at hot as it gets, then fill the sink and shave.

I like it this way for a couple reasons -- it doesn't waste hot water, plus I can add a little something to the sink full of water. A splash of rose water or orange blossom water makes the shave more enjoyable to me.
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Sink. It saves water and works well too!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
IanM

Post by IanM »

Sink and scuttle.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Sink. I even forked out the cash to buy a rubber stopper for that hole in the bottom. Is there no end to the money I spend on this hobby?

Added sink benefit: it's quieter.
Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I've always used running water to shave ( even in Mexico, where it took some ingenuity and briskness ). I've tried the full sink approach and didn't like it. I feel I have more control over the lathering process using running water, and it seems more tidy, but whatever works for you.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

IanM wrote:Sink and scuttle.

Ian
+1 to that.
Regards,
David
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

mattbramanti wrote:I can add a little something to the sink full of water. A splash of rose water or orange blossom water makes the shave more enjoyable to me.
Interesting idea.....I always figured the cream/soap I use scents the water....I will have to try this one one day.

I am a sink man. Saves water, quieter, works just aswell, and since I have 70+ year old plumming, allow me to wipe most of the hair out of the sink (after draining water) ratehr than it going down the drain and possibly causing a clog.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
teabag

Post by teabag »

Sink, I like to see how much stubble that I have removed remains in the bowl after the water has drained out :lol:
Regards,

Phil.

Carpe Diem - Sieze the Day
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat - Fortune favours the brave
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Running water. At home or at my girlfriends I always do my lather in a bowl but while traveling I lather directly on my face.
Regards,
Jani
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sink, also. But I refill between passes.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Older guys back in the day would swear by the benefits of filling the sink. I guess the lather, oils, etc mixing back in the water was beneficial to the face. Thats what I do, with an occaisional running water rinse to clear it out more completely.

Tom
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I use running water, turning it on briefly to rinse the razor. It rinses the razor much more effectively than a sink full of soapy water and I don't have to clean out the sink afterwards.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Surprisingly large number of responses here.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

scuttle sure does save a lot of hot water

i rinse my razor under the tap turning the water on for the moment and then off
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

marsos52 wrote: i rinse my razor under the tap turning the water on for the moment and then off
+1
Jim
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Sink all the way.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
jb911

Post by jb911 »

mattbramanti wrote:Personally, I run the water until it's at hot as it gets, then fill the sink and shave.

I like it this way for a couple reasons -- it doesn't waste hot water, plus I can add a little something to the sink full of water. A splash of rose water or orange blossom water makes the shave more enjoyable to me.

+ 1
Regards

John
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

Looks like I'm in the minority but I like running water to rinse my razor off.
-Stephen