Frustrated with a rockett

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Books

Frustrated with a rockett

Post by Books »

I have to vent a bit...

I don't like my HD Rocket. I have or had most variations of Super speeds, everything from a ranger tech to an black tip aluminum. I get good shaves with them all except my HD rocket.

I love the way it looks, but noticed this morning when using the rocket, the balance seems off to me. I've had no problems with my parat and enjoy it. I don't know if the extra thickness of the handle of the HD is the issue or what.

I'm just frustrated, I want to like this razor more...
Bob
MTgrayling

Post by MTgrayling »

What about it didn't you like? You say balance. Is it head heavy or handle? It seems as if these could be had with many different weights, with some having aluminum parts and others being solid brass/copper, from a featherweight 29 grams to a beastly 71 grams.

The gold anodized "LD" weighs a mere 29 grams, a mostly aluminum "LD" with brass silo doors measures in at 34 grams. There was a hybrid "MD" that had a brass TTO knob and aluminum handle that tipped the scales at 57 grams and then you had the common heavyweight "HD" at 71 grams.

I'm sure you'd have no problem getting rid of it as they are sought after popular shavers.
Chris

"Smell the Bakelite, smell it!"
Books

Post by Books »

It seems Head heavy to me. I find myself gripping closer to the head with it. I think I have the regular HD Rocket as it does seem heavy. I'll post a pic later..

Also it doesn't seem to give a very close shave.

But maybe I just haven't found the right blade for it yet. So far I've tried Derby & Perma Sharp. Both of these blades work well for me in a regular notched SS and a parat. I figured they would do the same in a rocket.

I'll stick with it for a bit, I guess the worst thing I would have to do is shave twice a day...
Bob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Odd....I dunno. I got into using the HD Rocket ( and later the Model #58 ) because I was looking for the classic SS shave but from a heavier, 'fancier' looking model. And the first HD Rocket I had ( a loaner from Richard ) delivered exactly that. Up until that point I hadn't had much luck with other heavier, fancier, Gillette models from that era; various Aristocrats, Diplomats, etc. as most of them seemed more aggressive to me. But the HD Rocket hit that sweet spot and was very like my original model SS. Now, the second one I had was a bit more aggressive, but not as much so as, say, the US Aristocrats I had. So, I'm not sure what the issue is. The balance of these heavier models is a little bit different, and as my experiance shows, individual specimens can vary somewhat, but I'm still at a loss to really understand what's happening with yours, unless there's something subtly mechanically wrong with it. Have you used any of the other heavier Gillette TTO models?
Regards,
Gordon
Books

Post by Books »

Yes, I have 2 Aristocrats, 1 with a notch 1 without. I found them to be very aggressive, but I like that. There wasn't an issue with the balance as I recall. I'll take a look at them tonight when I get home.
Bob
Books

Post by Books »

Here she is, don't know if this helps at all...

This thing is to me beautiful, I just wish I can make act that way...
Bob
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Books wrote:Here she is, don't know if this helps at all...

This thing is to me beautiful, I just wish I can make act that way...
I would ask you to send it to me and let me give it whirl, but my Merkurs would never forgive me and besides, I have more than enough razors to last several lifetimes. Try different blade, shaving cream/creme, soap combinations. Maybe you will hit on something...

It is what it is... :wink:

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, that's it alright. I don't know. Part of me thinks that maybe it just isn't aggressive enough for your taste since you like those notched and un-notched Aristocrats ( both of which were too much for me, especially the un-notched one ). And yet, you say you have no issues with the Superspeeds. Have you ever used one of the original '48-'51 models?
Regards,
Gordon
Books

Post by Books »

Yes, and that's what's strange. No problems with a ranger tech, or a 48-50 super speed. They work best for me with a feather or other very sharp blade, but the HD seems almost more mild.

The only thing I can really think to do is try some different blades and see if I get any better results.
Bob
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Yeah, I guess. Maybe try a Feather since you say that that works well for you in the classic Superspeed and see what happens. Of the HD Rockets I've had, one was almost a dead ringer for the SS shave, whilst the other was slightly more aggressive...sort of half way between my classic SS and the Aristocrat.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

I've been alternating with a 50s SS and an HD Rocket for a while, and it would be very difficult to distinguish between them as to shave feel, as in the case of Gordon's earlier HD. I suspect that there are just individual variations that are responsible for the differences, both in Bob's razor and Gordon's two Rockets. Whether this is due to manufacturing differences or to the razors' histories is of course another matter.

Ken
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Here's my two cents - or threepennies - worth:
1. If you're mostly using superspeeds and just occasionally using the HD then there's possibly a muscle memory effect which works against you getting the best out of the HD and which is why it doesn't feel right. If you used it exclusively for a while maybe the superspeeds would feel 'wrong' when you went back to them.
2. The blade angle is going to be slightly different from the superspeeds and that also is going to mess up your shaves a bit.
3. I've got four HDs and they all shave a little differently and the blade gap is measurably different so I think it is possible that your HD is just at the low end of HD performance.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Bob

For what it's worth I have 2 HD Rockets a 54 & 55 together with a 52 Superspeed. I find the balance and the shave quality of the Rocket to be superb. Slightly shorter handle than the SS, but much more weighty. I am well pleased with all 3 razors as they all give excellent results.

If I am honest, I do change the angle slightly when I use the SS, so I don't know whether this may be part of your problem when shifting from one razor to another.

All the best
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

brz90, Four HD Rockets and they're all a bit different? Well, there's a slightly larger sampling which seems to validate my experiance with the two of them. Thanks for adding your experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
Books

Post by Books »

After much thought on this, I'm going to put her up for sale later today.

I have several razors that work great for me and I'm going to stick with what works best.
Bob