Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I get real close shaves with my Futur and I don't have to go past 2.5 on the setting. Amazing razor that shaves whiskers with no sweat.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

jpkunst wrote:Some time ago, when I was looking for my first adjustable razor, I bought a Futur. I returned it to the shop after shaving with it twice. It was way too aggressive for me, even at 1.
I agree that the Futur is probably the most aggressive quality razor, but certainly not at 1 setting.

I believe there must have been something wrong with the razor or the blade you were using.
Joe
King-D

Post by King-D »

Now I'm thinking about coughing up the money and buying a Futur. I really like the gold plating look, but the handle is polished. Do any of you have problems with the polished handle slipping in your hands?
David

Shave in the shower!
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my particular case, at one point I considered getting a Progress and an HD, and possibly even a Futur. Then I got sidetracked onto the EJ/Muhle head, and I did pick up a Merkur head to interchange with my variety of handles, plus I rediscovered the NEW after enjoying the Slim/Fatboy and the Sheraton and Aristocrat. So ultimately, I abandoned any plans to branch out further into the DE world of currently manufactured and marketed new DE razors. I must say that I've plowed far more money and work into finding, preparing, and using vintage straight razors than I ever would have with Merkur products.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

Kyle76 wrote:
jpkunst wrote:Some time ago, when I was looking for my first adjustable razor, I bought a Futur. I returned it to the shop after shaving with it twice. It was way too aggressive for me, even at 1.
Jan, I would have to think that, quite possibly, you did not have the blade seated properly in the razor.
It's of course possible, but I doubt it. Anyway, now it's too late to check, and the point is moot: I am happily shaving away with a Gillette Slim Adjustable now.
Jan Pieter
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

King-D wrote:Now I'm thinking about coughing up the money and buying a Futur. I really like the gold plating look, but the handle is polished. Do any of you have problems with the polished handle slipping in your hands?
I have had no problem whatsoever. I can imagine if your hand is soapy the razor could be slippery but then again even the knurled handles are slippery if soapy enough.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey David, no problem at all so long as you keep your shaving hand and the razor handle dry.
Regards,
Squire
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

King-D wrote:Now I'm thinking about coughing up the money and buying a Futur. I really like the gold plating look, but the handle is polished. Do any of you have problems with the polished handle slipping in your hands?
The satin finish is presumably better in this regard (I don't have a polished Futur to compare it against, however).
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes it is very easy to not have the head seated 100%

also, if its shaving harsh at setting number 1. the handle may not be fully screwed to the bottom of the razor head.

to check it ....heres what you do.........

remove the top of the head. remove the blade haha,,

turn the handle to the highest setting (6)

now firmly press down the center piece in the razor head. until it goes all
the down

keep it pressed down and tighten the handle to the head

i have had a futur new in the box come with the handle not total tightened
even when looking at the razor it appeared fine

until i did all of the above. mine needed a whole turn on the handle to get it fully tighened in

then all was fine

with the handle not tightened down complete it makes the razor shave as if it was set at setting 5 or 6

marc
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

With dry hands the finish doesn't matter and that's a good rule for any razor.
Regards,
Squire
King-D

Post by King-D »

Squire wrote:Hey David, no problem at all so long as you keep your shaving hand and the razor handle dry.
I may be able to keep the soap off the handle, but not the water. I suppose I'll somehow manage.
David

Shave in the shower!
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

King-D wrote:
Squire wrote:Hey David, no problem at all so long as you keep your shaving hand and the razor handle dry.
I may be able to keep the soap off the handle, but not the water. I suppose I'll somehow manage.
In my experience with the chrome model, even if your hand is wet the razor doesn't slip. Must be because the quality of the finish is so well engineered that your fingers will still grip the handle. If your hand is soapy, then yes it will slip, but that's true for any razor that doesn't have a knurled handle.
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I happen to get water or soap on my hand with the razor, I can't stand it, and have to stop and dry my hand. It just feels like I don't have the degree of control over the razor that I should.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i owned a chrome finish and mow have a gold. had no problems with slippng. for some reason the gold finish seems even less slippery than the chrome
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
OmegaEdge

Post by OmegaEdge »

I have been using a Gillette Aristocrat for 6 months+ before getting a Futur, and I must say its a fine razor but was a bit aggressive set at 3 with a Gillette Yellow. The next shave I am going to dial it down to 2 and see where it gets me. I like its heft and how it feels in my hand, I just need to get used to shaving with it.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

omegaedge

as you have found out already the futur set at 3 is the point where the razor becomes aggressive

even heavy bearded experienced shavers generally keep there setting below 3

i have been using the futur for ten yrs and my beard is on the heavy side
and i keep mine at the 2 1/2 area except when using feathers (which isnt often) then i use 3

i believe squire keeps his at setting 2

marc
desertbadger

Re: Hi82

Post by desertbadger »

Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

That probably should be blocked/deleted.
Gary

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

sounded like part of a burma shave ad :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Gene

Post by Gene »

brothers wrote:That probably should be blocked/deleted.
As I scan the boards this morning I see a few from this...person.

Looks like a hacker?

I did PM Dr. Moss about 30 minutes ago, or perhaps a moderator will see it and act?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore