str8 questions: new question 7/8

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
gil3591

str8 questions: new question 7/8

Post by gil3591 »

i only use a de but have been kinda looking at str8s. so,,,,the feather str8 that has replaceable blades,,,how does the shaving experience compare between those and a regular str8 razor? i have an old str8 my mother used in her beauty shop. it's the kind that has replaceable blades. can it be used satisfactorily to shave with?
also, how in the heck can you guys do anything but a north-south pass? :lol: i would be shaking in my boots doing a south-north pass :lol:

7/8: ok so if i decide to give a str8 a try would an inexpensive dovo be a good starter? 5/8 or 6/8? stainless or carbon steel? i'm thinking i would like to get into this as cheap as possible so if i order a razor, say from vintage blades shave ready can i get away with just ordering a strop and the razor?

also, what's the bottum line here? in other words what pros and cons will i experience vs, a DE? thanks
Last edited by gil3591 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
xChris

Post by xChris »

I had a Feather ACD-N that I eventually sold. I didn't like how it shaved -- I either got a clean shave that didn't last, or I got bloodied up. I've never used he shavette styles, but I suspect that they would be the same. For me the DE techniques were even more necessart wih these disposable-blade straights; light/no pressure and adherence to angle were a must.

For me, using a straight is another set for skills and a different sensation from DE razors. I prefer using straights. It's not hard to use different angles once you get used to the stretching, and contortions to maximize the performance.
Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, My experiance has been like Chris' in that I think the Feather AC and traditional straights are a bit different in feel, but different in that ( as a long time DE shaver ) I found the AC easier and more effective to use. This was so primarily because it did not 'pull and tug' as much, and hence, was closer to what I'm used to. The mechanics of doing the strokes, skin stretching etc. was the same of course, other than, as Chris mentioned, one better be more mindful of the blade angle with the Feather. The Shavette and other, cheaper, disposible blade straights are not in the same league with the AC. I've been shaved many times with them and find them harsh and very prone to creating razor burn. I can't imagine why anyone would use them on oneself in lieu of a DE.
Regards,
Gordon
RetroGrouch

Post by RetroGrouch »

My experience is a bit different from Chris's. I really like the shave I get off my Feather. The blades are so beautifully sharp, which I happen to like. (Some people find the blades are TOO sharp.)

However, I find shaving with traditional straights more enjoyable and satisfying. With all the honing and stropping, it's harder to get it all right. But once you do, it's worth it. What was formerly a daily chore becomes an enjoyable ritual.

Lots of people buy Feathers, then end up moving to traditional straights.

Mike

Edit: Gordon posted while I was writing. Damn he's fast! We essentially agree, though Gordon clearly prefers DE and I like my straights.

I've never tried a Shavette, so I can't comment. But like Gordon, I just don't understand the point of a Shavette. When it comes to straights with disposable blades, the Feather AC is definitely king.
timc

Re: str8 questions

Post by timc »

gil3591 wrote:i only use a de but have been kinda looking at str8s. so,,,,the feather str8 that has replaceable blades,,,how does the shaving experience compare between those and a regular str8 razor? i have an old str8 my mother used in her beauty shop. it's the kind that has replaceable blades. can it be used satisfactorily to shave with?
also, how in the heck can you guys do anything but a north-south pass? :lol: i would be shaking in my boots doing a south-north pass :lol:
If you want to shave with a straight, I would just move right to the straight and skip the Feather. Don't even bother with the shavette; it's not made for shaving your face.

The south-north pass is a bit nerve-wracking at first. Heck, the north-south path was shaky the first couple of times. You get used to it. I find my straight shaves close enough that an against the grain pass is not necessary. I just go once down and once each direction across most of the time.*

[*] Disclosure: I have only been shaving with a straight for two months, so I'm not exactly a veteran.
- Tim -
"You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
RetroGrouch

Post by RetroGrouch »

I only find the south-north pass uncomfortable if my razor isn't quite sharp enough. Sometimes I'll strop again before that third pass.

Anyway, it's a good test: if a south-north pass is smooth and comfortable, you have a good sharp razor!
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can get very satisfactory shaves going downwards for the first pass, and then sideways from ear to chin and across the chin. The rest of the face is fine with just the downward pass.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace