Shave stick

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

How do you use a shave stick?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Never used one
22%
Enjoy using it as a shave stick
54%
Use as a shave stick but don't like it
13%
Try to use it like a soap puck: mash it into tub, cut pieces off, etc.
10%
Other (just in case)
1%

Total votes: 91

Leisureguy

Shave stick

Post by Leisureguy »

Clearly there's quite a bit of variance in how we approach shave sticks. Thus: a poll.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The only time I had one was Irisch Moos, didn't have any previous experience with a stick, so I milled it into a bowl, where it works great. However, on one occasion I was able to use a Tabac stick for a week or so, and that worked out quite nicely. My go to Tabac is the puck, as well as the other soaps, MWF, P160. Bottom line in my case, I'm indifferent to stick v. puck or bowl. If it's good soap, then I'm in favor of whatever form it takes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Only stick I have is an Arko stick. The paper became goo after a couple shaves, so I mashed it into a tin and like the result. Not that I'm totally opposed to using one as a stick, but only if packaged better.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

It always struck me as odd that shave stick packaging in general is so lame---I'm talking about the commercial brands now, not the artisans (who usually use quite good packaging). There are exceptions---D.R. Harris, TOBS (though my TOBS shave stick seemed to have stripped its gears long before the stick was used up)---most commercial shave sticks are wrapped in just a little foil.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't use them as a stick, rather I always mash them into a cup.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I voted the third option. I can use them, but I've never been keen on them.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I use it as a stick if I have to and it does perform well. Most of the time I do the Squire rountine and mash mold it into a mug so that's how I voted.
Regards,
David
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I've mashed every stick I've tried into a plastic or metal bowl. Erasmic, Arko, Palmolive, Valobra...........
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Valobra Shave Stick is one of my favorite soaps, but I grate it up and compress it into an Anchor Hocking one-cup sealed glass bowl.

I would probably use it as a stick if I face-lathered. This method doesn't work for me, however, so I lather in a bowl.

- Murray
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Soap meets the stubble. Stubble helps the brush create lather...

Stubble so soft that the blade glides over the skin as if there were no stubble...

What's not to like?
Here are my shaving soap & stick reviews: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30080
IanM

Post by IanM »

I bought my first shave sticks just recently to take away on holiday, and I really like using them, especially the Erasmic and Palmolive sticks, as they're only around 50-70 pence to buy!

I just use them as a stick.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I really enjoy using shave sticks as well -- and I don't restrict my use to holidays -- although I must admit that there is nothing as portable, nor as easy to use as a stick. I currently only have a stub of Valbora and a couple of Palmolive sticks. I'll add to my stash as I use up some of my current GFT tubes.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drumana

Post by drumana »

My only experience with a shave stick is Valobra. I enjoyed using it as a shave stick but wound up milling it into a wooden bowl anyways. Tis a good soap that Valobra, wether you use it as a stick or not...
-Andrew-
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Here's why I like using a shave stick: It's like "instant lather": you just rub it against the grain over your beard, and in the mirror you see your beard with a few score of tiny flecks of soap. But then when you take up your wet brush and brush your beard vigorously, a thick lather appears as if by magic. I really enjoy that little trick in the morning, and particularly when I have a two-day stubble, the shave stick really seems to soften the beard. Of course, the places where my beard is toughest and thickest scrapes off the most soap, which probably helps. But seeing the lather almost instantly emerge as I begin brushing is a treat.

And, of course, newbies will (I believe) find it easier to build a soap lather from a shaving stick than from a puck.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Leisureguy wrote:And, of course, newbies will (I believe) find it easier to build a soap lather from a shaving stick than from a puck.
I think that highly depends on the soap. If we're talking about somthing tripple milled, I agree 100%. If we're talking a glycerin soap, I don't thing it is at all difficult even for a newb. Even on tripple milled soaps, it's only the amount of water, and properly loading the brush that need to be learned.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Some of my favorite soaps come in stick format. But I hate the stick. Putting the soap directly on my face irritates my skin and, besides, the soap never seems to rub off the stick and onto my face well.

So I grate them into a bowl and it's heaven.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

drumana wrote:My only experience with a shave stick is Valobra. I enjoyed using it as a shave stick but wound up milling it into a wooden bowl anyways. Tis a good soap that Valobra, wether you use it as a stick or not...
If you like Valobra, but not necessarily enjoy the stick form, you may give AOS Lavender a try. They are very similar, and you might enjoy the scent more.
Here are my shaving soap & stick reviews: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30080
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

I have Tabac and Irisch Moos shave sticks (two of each). I keep one in my shaving kit for when I am traveling. I find that it is much more convenient to use those when I am away than anything else.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I face lather regardless of whether I am using a shave stick, a puck, shaving cream, etc.
Last edited by Cigar Dan on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny
goose

Post by goose »

I don't care for shave sticks. Working the lather on my face tends to cause irritation no matter how soft the brush. I once grated a stick into a bowl to use up the rest of it, but I won't buy another one.

Clint
Empty Words

Post by Empty Words »

If it comes in a nice container (Mama Bear or Irisch Moos) then I use it like a shave stick. If it only has a plastic ring (Speick, Valobra and Palmolive) then I mill it into an Anchor glass bowl.