Good unscented tallow based soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
lightupmyroom

Good unscented tallow based soaps

Post by lightupmyroom »

I would like to gather a list of good unscented tallow based shaving soaps. I'm open to just about any suggestions, from the big names down to smaller artisan bands.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

they all smell of something, and in fact no scent can mean it smells like wet cardboard, but to answer your question:

Art of Shaving Unscented Shave Soap.

There ya go. Your journey is ended.
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

the artisans don't do tallow.

Valobra stick is relatively unscented, but it's basically AOS unscented in stick form with a mild detergent scent added.

cella sapone di barba is an interesting tallow based soft soap, which is mildly scented in a kind of bitter almondish scent.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

You're far to optimistic. There are none.
Regards,
Jani
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Aztecface wrote:You're far to optimistic. There are none.
I agree.
Even the unscented ones will have that tallow scent to them; which I find pleasing, by the way.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
drumana

Post by drumana »

The Art of Shaving Unscented is as unscented as they get
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

You made the eye of the needle exceedingly small ( chuckle ). Yep, the AOS Unscented is about it, as far as I know. At least you don't have to go nuts trying to decide.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Basis Sensitive Skin Bar

Ingredients are listed on www.drugstore.com. Tallow is the primary ingredient - no detergents, no dyes, and no fragrance. If you are into aromatherapy with bath/shower soaps this is not the product to use as it has very little scent. I find the Basis scent to be a large improvement over the Dove Sensitive Skin Bar which is detergent based.

If you have dry skin problems, especially in winter, this soap may really help. It did for me. No more moisturizers needed. I first read about this soap on the Mayo Clinic web site for dry skin disorders.

This is a great bath/shower bar soap and it shaves well too if you have an established double edge razor technique. The tallow provides a much more substantial lather than most vegetable based soaps. Tabac shave soap is still my standard of comparison for a shave and Tabac Shave Soap is easily the best shave product I have used but the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar provides a nice shave for a much lower cost per ounce and it is much more moisturizing than Williams Mug Shaving Soap. Tabac Shave Soap is not as moisturizing as the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar which I think improves a shave. I usually face lather the Basis Sensitive Skin bar with a boar hair shaving brush when shaving unless I am using the thin little ends from the end of a bath bar with which I need a shave bowl. Be sure to rinse the soap off well when you are done shaving.

I just finished shaving with it using a three pass shave with, across, and against the grain and got a close comfortable shave - not quite BBS but very close. No after shave needed - no irritation.

This soap is available in the skin care section of Wal-Mart on the bottom shelf for $1.96 for a 4 ounce bar. You will not find it in the soap section.

I really didn't care for the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar when I first tried it but this soap is a real sleeper as it has withstood the test of time with me and outlasted many competitor soaps.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
lightupmyroom

Post by lightupmyroom »

JimT-

I've actually used a bar of Basis a few months ago after reading such positive reviews of it on the board. It is indeed a top-notch facial soap, and it is an amazing sized bar of soap for the price. I tried lathering it up for a shave, but this was back before my lathering skills really developed (I'm still working on that). I'm going to pick up a bar at Walmart this weekend and give it another try as a shaving soap.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

It's up to you, but personally I don't believe that ANY bath soap is really up to snuff as a shave soap. I've tried some of the best; Floris, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Trumpers, and still no-go. Also, the Basis bath soap is scented, FWIW. No, it you want unscented, and you want really proper shave lather, it's the AOS stuff, or nothing, I'm afraid.
Regards,
Gordon
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, back to the Basis...

I used it to shave this morning, in the shower, with a four-shave-old Bic and a stubby old Ever Ready boar brush.

It wasn't a terrible shave -- especially after I gave up on the brush and just rubbed the soap directly on my face -- but not the best one either. I can still feel a little glow on my neck, roughly three hours later...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
lightupmyroom

Post by lightupmyroom »

Does anyone know who sells AOS samples? I'd like to give the unscented a try, but their prices are a bit high for a line that I haven't tried before.
drumana

Post by drumana »

If you can find your way to an AoS store they will give you samples of the unscented cream. You'll have to buy the soap to give it a try though...
-Andrew-
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

AoS used to (and may still, it's just been a while since I asked them) send samples of some of their products - including their unscented shave cream - on request, but not the shave soap. As Andrew noted, you may have to purchase that.

PM sent
Last edited by smoothshaver on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Ed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Light...., There is no such thing as samples of hard shave soap, from the AOS, or anyone else, unless someone here would be willing to cut off a chunk of it from their cake for you.
Regards,
Gordon
JimT

Post by JimT »

Jack,

Thanks for giving it a try. I also lather Basis with a boar hair shaving brush (over the sink though) and I use enough soap (a fair amount actually) to completely cover my face with lather - no skin showing. Try using a bit more soap. My lather is typically not bubbly at all. I have been able to tailor my technique slightly to get a very respectable shave with the Basis Sensitive Skin Bar. The Basis experience is not luxurious by any means and my best shaves typically come from Tabac shave soap but the Basis shaves are good enough so that I have repeated the experience many more times than I can remember. Good luck.

JimT
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Thanks for the tips, Jim...

And I think you nailed the soap mixture -- lots and lots o' soap! Once I rubbed it into my beard then hit it with the brush, it wasn't bad...perhaps even as good as Williams. I might try rubbing a little glycerin into the mix...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
JimT

Post by JimT »

Jack,

Your comment comparing the Basis Sensitive Skin bar shave to Williams Mug Shaving Soap reflects my sentiments almost exactly. My experience is that the Basis shaves as good or better than the Williams for a lower cost per ounce with a little practice and it is more moisturizing than Williams. I get a consistent close and comfortable shave using Williams which I consider to be an effective but not luxurious shave soap which I would purchase again. The Basis gets high marks for skin compatibility without dyes or "fragrance" as an ingredient. Gordon is right in that Basis is scented using cyclopentadecanolide but the overall scent is very mild. My Basis shaves are usually mid week shaves getting ready for work. I save my shaves using dedicated shave products for when I want to savor the experience. I am currently using only Tabac shave soap and Tom's of Maine Mint shaving cream as dedicated shave products - both of which are real favorites. Thanks for the reply.

JimT
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

To each his own but for me scent adds to the experience.
Regards,
Squire
john

Post by john »

I wish I could use scented products, but everything scented I've tried eventually causes irritation. Art of Shave Unscented soap is the best quality product that I have found that never, ever irritates my face. If you want unscented, it's good stuff.

Whoever thinks Valobra shave stick is mildly scented (and maybe it is compared to most scented products) is crazy or can't smell. I recently got a stick, opened it, and now my whole bathroom smells like Valobra! I used it a couple of times without irritation, but expect to eventually bother me based on how much it smells.
John