Shave stick

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

How do you use a shave stick?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm

Never used one
22%
Enjoy using it as a shave stick
54%
Use as a shave stick but don't like it
13%
Try to use it like a soap puck: mash it into tub, cut pieces off, etc.
10%
Other (just in case)
1%

Total votes: 91

Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Leisureguy wrote:I have a couple of D.R. Harris shave sticks. No problem with either one. It's true that they are of smaller diameter than QED's, but OTOH they are triple-milled soap and not glycerin, so I suspect the lifetime of each is about the same.
Do you find any differences in the scent between the stick and the bowl versions of D.R. Harris soaps?

The reason I ask is that I just got the Almond and Lavender soap sticks, and to my nose, the scents are not the same as those same soaps in the wooden bowls.
Danny
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

Cigar Dan wrote:
Leisureguy wrote:I have a couple of D.R. Harris shave sticks. No problem with either one. It's true that they are of smaller diameter than QED's, but OTOH they are triple-milled soap and not glycerin, so I suspect the lifetime of each is about the same.
Do you find any differences in the scent between the stick and the bowl versions of D.R. Harris soaps?

The reason I ask is that I just got the Almond and Lavender soap sticks, and to my nose, the scents are not the same as those same soaps in the wooden bowls.
that's funny. I got my dad a DRHarris Arlingoton stick and myself an arlington puck, and I thought there was a subtle difference, but concluded it was in my head.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Unfortunately, I don't have any overlap in D.R. Harris soaps: the soaps I have as shaving sticks I don't have in a bowl.
JimT

Post by JimT »

Danny,

Where did you purchase your Tabac shave sticks? Mine was given to me by a German friend whose relatives brought it over from Germany.

JimT
The Riehle Axiom - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"
LeGaulois

Post by LeGaulois »

Never used.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

JimT wrote:Where did you purchase your Tabac shave sticks? Mine was given to me by a German friend whose relatives brought it over from Germany.
I got them on ebay. There is a guy there that regularly sells them in a "buy it now" listing. As I recall, you can get one for about $18 delivered.

Send me a PM if you need a link to the listing, but if you do a search for "tabac shaving stick", you will find it.
Danny
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

LeGaulois wrote:Never used.
well its time to.You can get good ones from UK,Spain,Italy and Germany...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, they're not hard to get, I would check with our UK suppliers.
Regards,
Squire
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Leisureguy wrote:Here's why I like using a shave stick: It's like "instant lather": you just rub it against the grain over your beard, and in the mirror you see your beard with a few score of tiny flecks of soap. But then when you take up your wet brush and brush your beard vigorously, a thick lather appears as if by magic. I really enjoy that little trick in the morning, and particularly when I have a two-day stubble, the shave stick really seems to soften the beard. Of course, the places where my beard is toughest and thickest scrapes off the most soap, which probably helps. But seeing the lather almost instantly emerge as I begin brushing is a treat.

And, of course, newbies will (I believe) find it easier to build a soap lather from a shaving stick than from a puck.
When I started exploring soaps a year ago I picked up on your tip, Leisureguy, and started with a couple of Harris´sticks, Arlington and Marlborough. And then I was hooked ;)
Eric
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Cool. Glad that it worked.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Yesterday I used Boots new formulation shavestick and got a great shave.The scent is not my fav but performs good.Actually I only have tried one shavestick that have been rubbish,the Gal For Men one...tallow based soap with no skin care properties at all.I did milled it with a puck of Williams and created a new shavestick(combination of the two)Ill see how it works.
infotech

Post by infotech »

I like shave sticks and use them the way they are intended to be used. So far I've only used Taylor of Old Bond Street and Irish Moos. I prefer the Irish Moos. It's one of the easiest soaps to generate a lather from that I've ever used. I also have a QED stick that was given to me, but I haven't used it yet.
James
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The D.R. Harris shave sticks are also exceptional.