New Method Shaving Video

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
evahs

New Method Shaving Video

Post by evahs »

A new video of CAR demonstating his method shave system. . . .

http://shaving101.com/index.php/educati ... inish.html
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

As always with Charles, I am rather speachless.
Regards,
Jani
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Whenever two or more shavers get together the name of Charles Roberts will eventually come up, the guy is one of a kind and does know the subject. The first time I met Charles we compared shaves. He had used his method and I shaved that morning at the hotel using a Bic and bar of bath soap. He said, "Man, that's brutal", results were satisfactory though. Technique is what counts and like a golf swing we all have to find our own method.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Well, for sure. Technique, and matching it to the individual's needs, and sometimes his limitations. Both Joe Lerch, and I have sensitive skin issues, and evolved shaving routines and product choices that took that into account. They turned out to be very different, yet we both get excellent shaves. Regarding Charles, well, truth be told, he really knew almost nothing about shaving when he inherited that shop. But, luckily for him ( and his potential customers....chuckle ) the initial instruction he received was from David Carter and from Trumpers and so, that's what he passed on, and what was in his earliest website rambles. Just for an example, the first few times I spoke with him, he had no idea that Plisson or Rooney even existed. Eventually, of course, he decided that proprietary branded products were the way to go, and well.....no need to get into all that ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The guy is a class act though, his shop is the closest thing we have to Trumpers in this Country.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Well, I've never had the opprotunity to visit, although I've wanted too, especially several years back. But, stop by Cambridge Chemists in NY some time. That, to me, is as close as we get to St. James's on this side of the pond.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm sure it is a place I would like to visit Gordon but doubt I could get a shave there.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, No, but you can't at D R Harris's or Floris's either. And unless something's changed of late, not at Enchante. I've pretty well given up on barbershop shaves in the US. Boris at the original AOS shop on Madison Ave. was consistantly quite good, and there is one barber near there I know of who is REALLY good. But I've probably had more poor ones than good. Anyway, it's always LatherKing machines and disposible blade straights these days, and that just is not quite the same.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One can shave at Enchante by appointment with personal instruction from Charles. Great shaving room.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Yes, one 'can'.....if one wanted to.....if there was any reason to....if I'm going to shave myself, I'd prefer to do it at my hotel ( chuckle ). I do hope you get the chance to visit Cambridges sometime; hundred year old oak glass fronted cabinets almost floor to ceiling, all kinds of goodies stuffed in there, hidden treasures on the back of the shelf behind other stuff, a knowledgeable and talkative owner.....hell, Scott at Cambridges was one of the main supports who helped Charles get his shop up and going when he started. Don't miss it if you're ever in NYC.
Regards,
Gordon
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Charles definitely seems passionate about his trade. Personally, I don't like his products or the way he conducted the one (and only) business transaction we had, but that's merely my experience.

No arguing that he has achieved a cult-like following from a handful of gents.
Jason

Post by gil3591 »

bet he could sell quite a few sham-wows!
Last edited by gil3591 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I watched about 10 minutes of the video. No thank you; but to each his own.
Regards,
David
95%

Post by 95% »

Has anybody here actually tried Charles' method? I've just watched the whole video. I can't imagine doing to my skin what he does to his. He goes over the same areas literally dozens of times, in all possible directions, without a protective layer of shaving cream or even water, which he applies only at the beginning. He never rehydrates or relathers his face in the last ten minutes of rapid, vigorous blading. Yet he claims to have obtained a nearly perfect shave. He doesn't mention razor burn, but no nicks are apparent, and he'd probably say that his skin didn't suffer at all.

In the last portion of the video, he explains why he is able to shave without relathering and re-wetting. It's all in the special primer, which saturates the skin with water during the initial lathering. He even goes so far as to say that relathering would detract from the shave. Is this guy for real? Does he really have a blade in that razor? What do you gents think?
Porter
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I've tried Method shaving. It's aaaaahhhhh.... different.
Regards,
Jani
95%

Post by 95% »

Jani, that's hardly a ringing endorsement. Charles makes the claim that only his special primer or cutter, or whatever he calls it, has the magical hydrating properties necessary for shaving on bare, almost dry skin. This is what baffles me, yet seems to work for him.

I'm not a DE shaver, but won't several dozen strokes across the same area of beard irritate the skin? With Charles, apparently not.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Yes, there are a number of members who have done the method shaving thing....of course, it's always changing, so..... . CR has made lots of claims, some of them contradictory but it's really too long and involved to get into. There are numerous threads in our archives if you want to dig them out.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

Well Gordon, shaving really isn't as complicated as Charles makes it out to be. One thing struck me in that video. Even after a hundred lightning-fast strokes across an area of beard, he still finds stubble. I could get rid of that, and so could you, with a simple fourth pass using our traditional lather.
Porter
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Porter, Well, making it more complicated and esoteric than it is has been the name of his game for some time now. Yes, I think that quite a few of us could get rid of that stubble ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

95% wrote:Has anybody here actually tried Charles' method? I've just watched the whole video. I can't imagine doing to my skin what he does to his. He goes over the same areas literally dozens of times, in all possible directions, without a protective layer of shaving cream or even water, which he applies only at the beginning. He never rehydrates or relathers his face in the last ten minutes of rapid, vigorous blading. Yet he claims to have obtained a nearly perfect shave. He doesn't mention razor burn, but no nicks are apparent, and he'd probably say that his skin didn't suffer at all.

In the last portion of the video, he explains why he is able to shave without relathering and re-wetting. It's all in the special primer, which saturates the skin with water during the initial lathering. He even goes so far as to say that relathering would detract from the shave. Is this guy for real? Does he really have a blade in that razor? What do you gents think?
GUYS, IT'S OBVIOUS HE HAS NO BLADE IN HIS RAZOR! :wink:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer