Neck Problems

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
HBK42581

Neck Problems

Post by HBK42581 »

Been having a tremendously difficult time getting good results without shredding up my neck lately. The biggest problem here is that my neck hair grows on a super steep angle and is almost parallel to my skin, making it hard for the razor to catch it on it's way by. This results in me adding more pressure which results in the irritation. Any pointers?
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

it maybe just be trail and error till you find what works

two thoughts come to mind

when lathering, work the brush longer in the area,, i have found the more i work in the lather to my face the better. for years i just appied it and shaved. now i know to spend the time to really lather well. the hairs get softer and kinda stand better because your working the lather and really getting it around the whisker

second is to try skin stretching, but stretch the skin the opposite direction of your whiskers growth . again this is to get the hairs away from your skin.

hope this helps

remember that added pressure is not going to help you get a closer shave, only helps you get irration

marc
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

marsos52 wrote:... try skin stretching, but stretch the skin the opposite direction of your whiskers growth . again this is to get the hairs away from your skin.
+1 on skin stretching -- it helps spring the whiskers up off the skin. A light touch on the razor though, because skin stretching and pressure are a match for laceration city on your neck. :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

One observation: based on your SOTD postings, your kit seems to vary pretty radically from day to day...brush, blade, razor, and soap/cream all get rotated. I would suggest sticking with one setup while you work out your neck issues--then you won't be wondering whether some piece of gear is the culprit (plus you'll get really good at using that particular setup).

The neck is tricky. There's really no silver bullet other than subtle technique refinements that over time add up.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

marc is correct, it's counter intuitive but pressure creates the opposite effect of the results we want.
Regards,
Squire
blue_titan

Post by blue_titan »

It's definitely been trial and error for me. My hair also grows very steeply on my neck and WTG passes remove very little hair in some areas. In addition, going directly ATG in those areas with the blade cutting directly perpendicular to the hair growth guarantees irritation. So what I've tried to do is to attack from different XTG angles, utilizing the "Gillette Slide" and "J-Hook" techniques whenever I can.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Sorry to hear about your neck.

I've found a few things to be helpful, including the slide and j-hook. The other is to feel with the non-shaving hand while shaving with the other...sort of charting the course with your free hand.

A combination of all-of-the-above has made an ATG neck pass uneccessary.

Good luck!
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

i have the same problem, because the hair is growing at such a sharp angle when you cut it cuts in a sharp wedge shape and its already growing into the skin so irritation is almost inevitable

i'll be quite interested to know if you find a reliable solution. for now i minimise the problem by increasing the passes and taking the hair down slowly
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i should add this too.......

the shorter the stroke the better.

i gerenally shave with 1 to 1&1/2 inch strokes and for my harder areas
mush shorter. it keeps the blade angle and makes for the flattest area
to shave
95%

Post by 95% »

This works for me beneath the jawline:

Pass 1. North to South.
Pass 2. Same, but on a slight diagonal.
Pass 3. South to North.
Pass 4. Same, but on a slight diagonal.

Lather carefully before all passes.

I can't do any J-hooking or horizontal action (E-W or W-E) on my neck, but I have no problem with the upward S-N passes, which are ATG for me. My razor is a Fusion, and I do no skin stretching. Results are BBS.

Take it easy, though. You'll develop your own technique.
Porter
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I'm going to go back to basics next week and really try to figure this out. Here is the terrain in question. Maybe I just need to put on some neck weight and make the area a little flatter. These were taken moments ago. I shaved yesterday.

paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, Scott, I have a similar beard pattern, but a thicker beard...no gaps in the hair. Thus, I am always blue...

Here's my neck pattern -- first pass, straight down. Second pass, under the jaw and toward the Adam's apple, east-west. I then do a downward Gillette slide, outside to inside, north to south. And finally, for the few further down, seek and destroy.

Today, I needed an against the grain under my chin.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
blue_titan

Post by blue_titan »

It seems your hair is similar to mine, the hair grows down from the chin and up from the beard line, and they meet at the top of the adams apple. Is the irritation around your adams apple due to shaving straight down the whole way from the chin? This is something my neck can't handle.

For this area, I shave upward to the top of adams apple and stop. Then I shave down from the chin to the top of the adams apple. Subsequent passes are a variety of XTG passes.
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

i notice that you let your stubble grow out, have you tried a razor with teeth, they are ideal for people who dont shave every day as they straighten the hairs as they go
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Ambrosia wrote:i notice that you let your stubble grow out, have you tried a razor with teeth, they are ideal for people who dont shave every day as they straighten the hairs as they go
I had been thinking about getting one. Any recommendations?

HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

HBK42581 wrote:
Ambrosia wrote:i notice that you let your stubble grow out, have you tried a razor with teeth, they are ideal for people who dont shave every day as they straighten the hairs as they go
I had been thinking about getting one. Any recommendations?
Nevermind. Just scored a pretty good deal on a Gillette NEW with open comb. Needs to be cleaned up but looked to be in pretty good condition.

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Whoa!....bad berries!....definately using to much pressure there, old boy. This is an excellent thread; lots of informed posts, well written and concise. I especially liked Marc and Ian's input. As you can see, the type of beard you're dealing with on your neck is not that unusual. Here are the main points that they hit, I think:
1) Stretching the skin is de rigueur, but coupled with it, a light smooth touch is necessary.
2) Quite short strokes are to be preferred.
3) Stop dicking around with different stuff and stick to one set-up that you really get familiar with....especially the razor and the blade.
To which I would add, put BBS out of your mind and just aim for a decent irritation free shave. Following sensible suggestions, plus patience and persistance will see you through this.
Regards,
Gordon
diggity

Post by diggity »

I agree with a majority of the above posts. My neck area grows exactly the same way and I had a helluva time figuring it out. As others have mentioned, don't use a lot of pressure...light short strokes. I start off with North to South strokes on my neck--the top half to half way down....then the bottom half of my neck (right at the adams apple), I go from South to North...this seems to be the natural with the grain pattern your neck grows. Then when I shave against the grain, I shave the top half of my neck South to North, and the bottom half North to South, once again with gentle strokes. Skin stretching is a must. Let us know how it goes.
Nathan
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

marsos52 wrote:when lathering, work the brush longer in the area,, i have found the more i work in the lather to my face the better. for years i just appied it and shaved. now i know to spend the time to really lather well. the hairs get softer and kinda stand better because your working the lather and really getting it around the whisker
One tip from me - and I'm surprised no one else has suggested this (perhaps it's too obvious?) - is leave your most troublesome area till last. Lather up, and let the stubble on you neck soak the longest. I found doing that makes a big difference.
Magnus6208

Post by Magnus6208 »

Have you ever tried an adjustable razor? My best shaves are consistantly with either a toggle or a fatboy set to a 4 (3 pass shaves). I am able to get a DFS with just about any other razor but my best ones are with the adjustables.