Vulfix Sicilian Lime

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Sodapopjones

Vulfix Sicilian Lime

Post by Sodapopjones »

What are your thoughts on this cream, the only Vulfix cream I have tested was the Rose, which smelled wonderful and seemed slick in my fingers.

I'm just asking because I'm dying to try a lime cream, and I could buy this one locally.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I personally don't care for Vulfix and the lime scent in the sample I had was terrible. It has a very acidic scent, more like just citric acid than lime. It was slick enough and cushion was acceptable, but it dried even my oily skin.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

ChemErik wrote:I personally don't care for Vulfix and the lime scent in the sample I had was terrible. It has a very acidic scent, more like just citric acid than lime. It was slick enough and cushion was acceptable, but it dried even my oily skin.
Damn thats not good, maybe I should just stick with the Rose :lol:
Araner

Post by Araner »

What Vulfix Rose cream? Is this something new?

http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/produc ... p?CatID=15

I used to use the Vulfix Sandalwood and Lavender and enjoyed them. I tried the Musk and Lime and didn't care much for them.
Araner

Post by Araner »

I guess it is new! Just found it at Lee's. How did I miss this?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suspect when a major manufacturer like Vulfix comes out with a traditionally scented cream it would have to be slightly different from the rest in order to carve out a market share.
Regards,
Squire
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I found this to be a very synthetic lime scent. Honestly it smelled terrible IMO. It worked just fine and the price is right but i couldnt stand smelling it every day.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Never tried their Lime, and I don't know if the cream is the same as the first batch that they sold, but that stuff I found odd. It seemed to lather and shave fairly well but the texture was just too weird for me; kind of a junket custard sort of affair. This was when they only had Lavender and Sandalwood and the scents didn't much appeal to me either although they were tolerable. And the pot was seriously...well....just cheap. I never tried any of their other creams after that intial experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

bernards66 wrote:Never tried their Lime, and I don't know if the cream is the same as the first batch that they sold, but that stuff I found odd. It seemed to lather and shave fairly well but the texture was just too weird for me; kind of a junket custard sort of affair. This was when they only had Lavender and Sandalwood and the scents didn't much appeal to me either although they were tolerable. And the pot was seriously...well....just cheap. I never tried any of their other creams after that intial experiance.
Regards,
Gordon
The Rose has a similar custard like consistency, it however felt slick in my fingers after being lathered in a bowl. *I didn't shave with it, it wasn't my brush or cream but the vendors*

The tub didn't feel cheapie to me, it felt just fine in my hand perhaps they improved upon it and the formula of the Rose, like I said smelt wonderful.

Maybe when I go down, Tony will crack open one pot of the limes for me to smell and try it, but with what has been posted my hopes aren't high :(
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Aaron, Well, I hope so. The original pots were of plastic so thin that you could squeeze and bend them in your hand even when they were full of cream. Just tacky. As I mentioned, I thought the creams shaved pretty well, but between that cheap packaging, the weird texture, and the so-so scents, I just couldn't go there. I know a couple of experianced shavers who use the stuff regularly though.
Regards,
Gordon
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Sodapopjones wrote:...Maybe when I go down, Tony will crack open one pot of the limes for me to smell...
Tony of The Golden Nib? The knots in my 2 favorite brushes came from there, and I have 2 more on the way this week. It would be interesting to get your impressions of the man and the business (assuming I'm not totally off base here).

--Glenn
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

2clfrwrds wrote:
Sodapopjones wrote:...Maybe when I go down, Tony will crack open one pot of the limes for me to smell...
Tony of The Golden Nib? The knots in my 2 favorite brushes came from there, and I have 2 more on the way this week. It would be interesting to get your impressions of the man and the business (assuming I'm not totally off base here).

--Glenn
Yes, same guy he also runs PenWorks I was invited down to test some brushes and show him some lathering tricks.

Pretty cool guy, after all I got to mess around in his work shop and he was even gracious enough to have his daughter make me an espresso.

Good peoples in my book :wink:
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

If you're dying to try a lime cream, Taylor's Lemon & Lime is tops in my book.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

iancevans wrote:If you're dying to try a lime cream, Taylor's Lemon & Lime is tops in my book.
Agreed. One of my very favorites.

Dave
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

DavidB wrote:
iancevans wrote:If you're dying to try a lime cream, Taylor's Lemon & Lime is tops in my book.
Agreed. One of my very favorites.

Dave
I was looking at this on WCS actually...
AFG

Post by AFG »

I'm another fan of Taylor Lemon Lime. I'm finally finishing up a tub and have another ready to take its place. The only time I tried Vulfix was some time ago and that was the Lavender scent. Gordon was right about the container but it did seem to work okay. The scent though smelled more like laundry detergent than lavender. I don't think of myself as a fan of citrus scents but I also have the Castle Forbes Lime which has a great lime scent and I recently bought Cyril Salter's sublime citrus which is a grape fruit scent and is one of the best scented creams I have ever had. Works great too.
Al
CJS

Post by CJS »

AFG wrote:I'm another fan of Taylor Lemon Lime. I'm finally finishing up a tub and have another ready to take its place. The only time I tried Vulfix was some time ago and that was the Lavender scent. Gordon was right about the container but it did seem to work okay. The scent though smelled more like laundry detergent than lavender. I don't think of myself as a fan of citrus scents but I also have the Castle Forbes Lime which has a great lime scent and I recently bought Cyril Salter's sublime citrus which is a grape fruit scent and is one of the best scented creams I have ever had. Works great too.
+1 on Castle Forbes lime. As true to lime as you can get, and a great performer. It's a bit expensive, but you're worth it :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Castle Forbes has a great scent. Taylors cream is tops but the lemon-lime scent is more lemon to me.
Regards,
Squire
Araner

Post by Araner »

If we’re nominating lime shaving creams, I’ll recommend Godrej Fresh Lime. Available through Amazon, dirt cheap, smells pretty good to me and lastly, I get a pretty darn good shave when I use it.
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Squire wrote:Castle Forbes has a great scent. Taylors cream is tops but the lemon-lime scent is more lemon to me.
Hows the shave though?

It would save me a ton just to order it through WCS with my razor I wanted.