Styptic Pencil Care

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Chris, starting out a stypic pencil should be a part of your shaving battery. I was introduced to one in the Army 40+ years ago where we were required to shave in less than minute. They are surprisingly durable, just dampen the tip and dry it in tissue after use. Unless you pick up a stray bullet wound the thing should last decades.
Regards,
Squire
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I got a clubman pencil from the grocery store, the clerk, a young gal, looked at it for a minute as if she had never seen it before.

I would always make the mistake of rinsing off the whole thing, standing it up to let dry then I have a nice white stain on the counter when I get back home from work. When I decided to try a straight razor, I bought my stuff from SRD and Lynn was nice enough to have me over to give me a quick lesson. On the counter he had (if I remember correctly) an ashtray to hold styptic pencils. I never asked him outright about it, but I remember a plate that looked like an ashtray that had styptics on it.
chrisisconnorsdad

Post by chrisisconnorsdad »

This will help. I guess I just questioned the durability of the pencil.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Squire wrote:Chris, starting out a stypic pencil should be a part of your shaving battery. I was introduced to one in the Army 40+ years ago where we were required to shave in less than minute. They are surprisingly durable, just dampen the tip and dry it in tissue after use. Unless you pick up a stray bullet wound the thing should last decades.

Come to think of it I have had mine for 20+years!

Alan
[Currently]
Futur Razor setting 1
Panasonic Blade
Boar Brush
VDH shave soap
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I still have mine in the Army chest of stuff.
Regards,
Squire
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

I got a Col Conk styptic pencil when I got my first DE shaving kit a few months ago.

It looks like a chapstick case but the cap is the long part and the stick holder is the short part. I think I messed up by not drying it properly. I'd use it and rinse it off and then just stick the plastic cap back on it.

I used it one day and it broke off down at the base next to the holder. Apparently the water left on it pooled down dear the holder eroding the pencil there. It had a ring like it was turned on a lathe and touched with a parting tool.

I'll chalk it up to operator error.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

guys guys,,,, i have used a styptic pencil in the past. after awhile they
do break... but still works

never last till they are used up for sure... but the good new is,,,
these days you can get stypic in a thick liquid form, it comes in a small tube. total bang for the buck

eventually you will get so good at shaving there will be no need for it anyway

also vaseline petroleum jelly works just as well too

marc
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Petroleum jelly marc? Haven't heard that before.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yep a little dab will do ya

seals the area, fortunately i havent needed to use that in so long

happy holidays
marc
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I have had what was originally a 1/2" wide styptic pencil for probably 40 years, and it looks like a stalactite or stalagmite, depending on how I hold it. Be that as it may, I use it when there is a bad nick and the blood won't stop. I rinse it enough to clean off the blood, shake off the water, let it air dry and then put it back in its deteriorating plastic tube.

Warning: Have your styptic pencil ready in case you're shaving and your wife comes into the bathroom in a new teddy! :shock:

Roger