Gillette Super Adjustable v. Gillette Super Slimtwist

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brotherderekb

Gillette Super Adjustable v. Gillette Super Slimtwist

Post by brotherderekb »

Any feeback on these two?

Currently, I use a 1965 Slim and I am very happy, but wanted to branch out and try one, or both, of these. I may be a bit confused about the difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Derek
brz90

Post by brz90 »

Hi - I've got both of these. They're quite different - maybe the only thing they have in common - apart from being twist to open - is that they're both late sixties/seventies razors though they were still being made on through the 80s.
The super adjustable is a development of the slim adjustable; black handle instead of shiny nickel; larger blockier numbers on the adjustment ring. There are a few variations: long handle and short handle and on the latest ones plastic under the head. It's a good looking razor I think - very early seventies in its design.
They've got a high reputation for being great shavers. I agree, but I actually marginally prefer my slim adjustable. I've come to appreciate its modest ability to give me a great shave with more blades than any other razor I own.
The super slim twist is the seventies British version of the Knack. It's not adjustable. The twist mechanism is just under the head. It has a plastic handle. It replaced the slim twist which was late sixties and which looks a bit more super than the super in terms of build quality. It's probably the cheapest looking tto Gillette made but I find it actually shaves very well. The low profile head gives an excellent shaving angle. Unlike the super adjustable you should be able to get one cheap. Hope this is helpful. :)

From Mr Razors site: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjust ... e%20W1.jpg
AND
http://www.j-duwe.de/Rasierer/One-Piece ... 20Logo.jpg
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I own a Super Adjustable -- and have been erroneously calling it my Black-Handled Adjustable for years :oops:

It's a great daily shaver -- really versatile, and has a lower-profile head which makes it very easy to maneuver around the jaw line, chin, and upper lip. I like the long handle as it allows me a better view when shaving on the opposite side of the face (I am left-handed, so this would be the right-hand side of the face for me). The one drawback may be is that it is a tad on the lighter side of things. At least, it's much lighter than my '59 Fatboy or EJ Chatsworth.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brotherderekb

Post by brotherderekb »

Thank you both.....That is really, very helpful!

Derek
e d o

Post by e d o »

The U.S. Slim Twist is 3-4 grams heavier than the similar looking English Knack. Kind of a reversal to the earlier razors.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I thought the Knack was the American version, and the Slim Twist the English version.

The last Gillette TTO in the USA was called "Double Edge" and was made in England. Its twist knob was very small, and located just under the head.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hi Derek, I have and use both. The balance is different and one is, of course, adjustable. I can shave well with either but prefer the Super for it's weight distribution and adaptability to a wider variety of blades.
Regards,
Squire
e d o

Post by e d o »

Paul's right, looks like I had a little "slim twist" of the ole memory. The US version is heavier though.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

Actually having the TTO mechanism located right under the head make for a rather elegant design solution.
This design lends it self very well to removing the cheap plastic handle and mounting the head assembly on a custom handle.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

The finished product to me looks very busy, with too much going on, to many lines that dont match.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

Whistler wrote:The finished product to me looks very busy, with too much going on, to many lines that dont match.
I tried to make a matching replacement TTO collar but the internal threads are oversize and the collar I made with a standard thread wouldn't fit.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The head on the second one from the right looks like the last of Gillette's TTO's, with the much smaller twist knob.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

Pauldog wrote:The head on the second one from the right looks like the last of Gillette's TTO's, with the much smaller twist knob.
Yes that's a skinny English "Slim Twist"
I use 7/16th bar stock for that handle compared with 1/2 for the others.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

A few years ago, I found the last of those in some American drugstores. They were labeled only "Double Edge" on the packaging, and marked "Made in England."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think you're onto something there Bob. If you could replicate the original handle in some attractive material, say ivory with the same stuff EJ uses, then gold plate the hardware that would be a stunning razor.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, Yeah, I had one of those as well...in fact, I think it's still around someplace. Personally, I remember that I didn't much care for how it shaved, having been spoiled for decades by earlier Gillette models.
Regards,
Gordon
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

bernards66 wrote:Paul, Yeah, I had one of those as well...in fact, I think it's still around someplace. Personally, I remember that I didn't much care for how it shaved, having been spoiled for decades by earlier Gillette models.
Regards,
Gordon
Actually the Knack head mounted on a heavier handle shaves very much like my earl 50s Aristocrat.
I originally thought these razors were cheap junk but after taking them apart I've come to appreciate the simple fool proof design.
e d o

Post by e d o »

Interesting! Bob have you made any of these without the knobby end? I think that would improve the looks.
e d o

Post by e d o »

Duplicate post/deleted.
Last edited by e d o on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

e d o wrote:Interesting! Bob have you made any of these without the knobby end? I think that would improve the looks.
Not yet, all of these except the razor on the right end were commissioned and provided by the clients.
Actually many like the knob, they feel it give the razor a neo industrial look.
I add a short length of 1/4-20 threaded rod to the shank so I can mount these heads on any type of handle that the client would desire.
I have some faux ivory and the fellow I procure it from is working on making me something that duplicates the butterscotch bakelite Schick used on their vintage razors.