Guilty of shaving purchases while Christmas shopping!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Short Round

Guilty of shaving purchases while Christmas shopping!

Post by Short Round »

Well I couldn't help it as I hit the stores. I bought some "me" stuff while Christmas shopping.

Granted I didn't get any high end stuff, you simply don't see it in my locale. I'm a relative newb as you probably can deduce from my post count.

Some simple purchases

-clubman Island Bay Rum after shave
-Burt's Bees shaving cream [didn't notice it's not a lathering cream until I got home, it's basically a quick face cream :-( dang it]
-a couple VDH delux pucks that were on close out in the drug store
-a mini puck of Williams shave soap because I've never tried it
-a new styptic pencil because I broke mine
-a bottle of citris Humphrey's witch hazel

After the holidays I plan to buy some more stuff, a bulk order of yellow Gillettes as they're the most consistent on my face. I like feathers too but not on the first shave and by shave 4 they're toast. Super Iridiums are a little better for my face but so far I am most pleased with the Gillettes. Less weepers.

I got a laugh seeing a 10 pack of Hannaford Supermarket store brand DE blades for $11.84. They look like the the same Dorco's storebranded everywhere else for less than three bucks. Those are the only DE blades I saw while looking in the supermarkets, drug stores, and walmarts.

Well last night I shaved with the Burt's bees shaving cream (meh), and used the Humphrey's post shave. I liked the Humphreys, a light pleasing smell and no irritation. About 20 minutes later I used the Clubman Island Bay Rum AS. Very nice albeit slightly clovey.

Overall I really enjoyed the new stuff.

Still looking forward to treating myself to some Trumpers and trying Prorasso. I might have to invest in a Futur too when I mail order.

Thanks for the great site, I'm still reading and learning.

Merry Christmas and good shaves unto you!

Tom
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Tom!
Regards,
Andy
crunchy

Post by crunchy »

Hi, Tom!

Don't get too bummed about the Burt's Bees cream just yet. I bought some a little over a year ago and used it sporadically. Then I just happened to try it as a superlather (a cream + a soap) with Col Conk Lime. Oh my goodness! A WONDERFUL SHAVE!!

I am loving that combination. I would suggest you try the Burts Bees cream with some of the VDH or Williams soap.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!!
Southern Gentleman with 6 kids, and loving every minute of it!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yeah, Crunchy is right. You can try something early on, then think there is better and then at some point, want to come back to it. I thought Musgo was the bee's knees (lol) and then got to British Creams, and if it were not for what is said to be a reformulation of the product (they replaced one ingredient I think) I would love to try it again. I always liked the smell.

Oh, and stumbling upon new combinations is always fun.
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Welcome Tom!

I think you will find that shopping on the internet can be as much fun (though different) as shopping in a brick-n-mortar. Everyone has his favorite online merchant. I like ShoeBox ShaveShop.

I mention this because when you shop online you can get far better products for not much more than what you can find at a local shop.

I recommend that you continue to try different blades before you place your first bulk order. It's very possible that you will find something you like even more than the 7 O'Clock yellows.

One more thing - It's Christmas, so treat yourself to some top shelf shaving soap. A puck of the good stuff lasts five months, so even the priciest soaps are inexpensive when you amortize them.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well tom ...all i can say is......

HOWS IT FEEL BEING ONE OF US ????

enjoy your holiday

marc
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome, Tom, and Merry Christmas!
You hang around here and it'll be a lot more that just the Futur and Trumpers!..... :twisted:
Regards,
David
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Thanks for the warm holiday welcome. :D

I like that idea of the superlather. I already have some Col Conk's Lime. It seemed to dry my skin out so maybe your combo would be a perfect symbiotic relationship with the burts bees.

So far I've been quite the lurker and have been very interested in digging through the old posts here. A mountain of experience and opinions here.

I will order a nice tallow soap next. My only stumbling block on the internet is that most of the internet shaving shops are running a paypal based business. That's a no go for me. Pay pal is on very thin ice with me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Tom
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Welcome Tom,

You're in good company.

Today I went out for a card for the C.O. and came home with a bottle of Eucris and Tam Dao . . . and the card, obviously.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Tom, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

ooops, dbl posted
Last edited by Short Round on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Thank you kindly,

May your holiday be as warm as a nice hot towel treatment.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Tom. Welcome to SMF. We look forward to your participation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ateace

Post by ateace »

Welcome, Tom. Not a bad haul for being waaayyy upstate :lol:

Keep us posted on your experiences and progress. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Members here are friendly and helpful.

Happy Holidays!
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

Crunchy,

The BB's mixed with the Col. Conk's lime was a good shave! I applied the Burt's Bees to my face and then applied my mug lathered Col Conk's and face lathered it in.

Slicker than ........ I'll just say it was slick and a BBS.

Used the Merkur HD with a fresh yellow Gillette 7 o'clock.
hot water rinse, then cold, then the humprey's, then awhile later the virgin island bay rum after shave.
crunchy

Post by crunchy »

GOOD MORNING, TOM!!

(in my best attempt at a Ferris-Bueller announcer voice)
OOOOOOOH, YEAAAAAH!

Glad it worked for you!
Southern Gentleman with 6 kids, and loving every minute of it!
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Greetings Tom and happy holidays!

Guilty as charged, picked up a jar of Proraro Pre Shave Cream and a tube of Nivea Shaving Cream while back home for the holidays.
Good shaving,

Gary