Scuttle?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
StraightRazorRookie

Scuttle?

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

I found this shaving cup/scuttle in an antique store a few months ago and went back yesterday to pick it up. It's quadruple silverplate, by the Eureka Silver Co., and has some rather elegantly engraved initials on it.

I don't know a lot about these things as would appreciate any info anybody has - vintage, usage, how common such scuttles were, etc. Thanks guys.

Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

I love it!

An awesome antique and functional to boot!
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Too cool! I love antiques. I'll add this to my "must look for..." list.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I haven't seen one like that before, but I can understand the principle. :P

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

There was Eureka Silver Manufacturing in Taunton Mass circa 1950-60.
What are the stamps and hallmarks?
StraightRazorRookie

Post by StraightRazorRookie »

Here ya go:

I found that Eureka was a dba of another silver manufacturer - Meriden Silver Plate Co, of Meriden, CT per this site:

http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_E.html

You can find significant amounts of their stuff on eBay and other antique e-commerce sites. I didn't find anything about shaving cups / scuttles in my brief search, however.
Ed, the Straight Razor Rookie,
documenting the journey at:
http://straightrazorrookie.blogspot.com
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I was in high school and my grandmother's novelty spoon collection disappeared. I was blamed and the old row of antique, Hollywood prop and pawnshops all received an angry visit. :cry:
When their house burned down in one of our seasonal wildfires the spoons, all silverplate were in my crazy aunt's room area; the silver partially melted and the base metal showing. :roll:
Plate is of value solely on it's artistic beauty. The solid silvers, and value differs on percentile are all vulnerable to the smelting oven as prices rise ( $13 an oz today, up from $10 .)
You have a neat item, and yes, from what a silver collecting friend I emailed says rarer than the usual tea creamers. My gandmother never acknowledged her error, in fact I was disinherited except for- a box of burned novelty spoons :?