Rooney brushes

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Janus

Post by Janus »

To the credit of The Executive Shaving Company I have to say that they promptly replaced a faulty brush that I returned to them, I even exchanged a couple of emails with them over the issue. That was two years ago. I don't know if their service has deteriorated since then or if I was just lucky. I have not tried to contact them after that.
Janus
Fido

Post by Fido »

I have emailed them twice in the last month. No reply.

I telephoned today to ask about Rooney and to seek advice on an appropriate Rooney brush for face lathering. A pleasant lady promised that someone would telephone me this afternoon.

No one called.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Fido wrote: Until now, I have not come across a business which has not welcomed enquiries or given me every cooperation.

Fido,so all the other UK makers have collaborated with your inquiries or desires to visit their locations/factories but Rooney?I wonder what are they hiding.. :shock: As a customer this is a put off from Rooney and Im honestly dying for getting two 1/1 one super silvertip and another in best badger however I think Im finally giving up on that desire...sad.
DEF

Post by DEF »

I won't hold it against Rooney if they would rather spend their time, say, making brushes.
Doug
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Their lack of forthcoming hasn't really put me off, the fact there is a large thread on "that other forum" about shedding issues is what had put me off from Rooney for the moment.

Some manufactures are just that exclusive as to whom they want to deal with, its not unusual knowing the nature of specialized goods.
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

DEF wrote:I won't hold it against Rooney if they would rather spend their time, say, making brushes.
but the question is WHERE?UK?China?North Africa?
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Sodapopjones wrote:Their lack of forthcoming hasn't really put me off, the fact there is a large thread on "that other forum" about shedding issues is what had put me off from Rooney for the moment.

Some manufactures are just that exclusive as to whom they want to deal with, its not unusual knowing the nature of specialized goods.
I haven't read that thread.Thanks for pointing it.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Teiste wrote:
DEF wrote:I won't hold it against Rooney if they would rather spend their time, say, making brushes.
but the question is WHERE?UK?China?North Africa?
From Page 1 of this thread:
VintageBlades wrote:The documents that accompany each and every shipment of brushes that I receive from Rooney certify to the appropriate authorities that the country of manufacture of the brushes is the United Kingdom.
Doug
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Fido wrote:I have not come across a business which has not welcomed enquiries or given me every cooperation.
Good luck with that.

Edit: One becomes accustomed to the fact, that with these old British firms, silence is Golden.

I've been to almost all of them and I have learnt alot there, but getting the information out of them... is not easy.
Regards,
Jani
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Subject to rumor and innuendo indeed. Seems like the quickest way to get a thread going is to start off in the negative.
Regards,
Squire
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I have a Rooney 3/1 super from VintageBlades, its my biggest wetshaving purchase and my pride and joy of all my wet shaving items. A big part of me wants to get a Simpsons brush, but I can't fathom that I could get a brush that is any better, let alone rival my rooney. I just find it quite unforntunate that the story of Rooney doesn't get told whether it be from themselves or from people like Fido, as I'm sure if told correctly, it could be quite a remarkable story.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

jhclare wrote: Now, this is the interesting part, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this: My current 3/1 says "Sterilised", while my 1/1 from Classic Shaving says "Sterilzed", American spelling.

So - does this mean that at least some brushes are part-manufactured in the States?

John
I had the same question; when I asked Jim at Vintage Blades he pointed out that the "z" is meant for the American market and the "s" was made for the British market. Occasionally, one of the "s" versions makes it over to the states; I know because I had one. Since Jim sells these things for a living and knows what he's talking about I'll trust his word on it.
Regards,
David
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Remarkable and interesting Gary.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

As Jani said, there is nothing all that unusual in this when one starts dealing with very old school small private English firms. Rooney does not communicate directly with the public and hasn't since way before Lee Sabini took over. One member was disappointed that he was not able to arrange a visit to their workrooms, but a vendor whom most of us trust ( Classic Shaving ) did visit it, in London, in the recent past. That's all. There is no reason to start suspecting that the brushes are Chinese, or whatever. They don't look or feel like any Chinese brushes, or even pre-made Chinese plugs, that I've seen. Would have been nice if Fido could have visited them and written up his impressions, but how many people do you know who have seen the operation where Trumper makes their colognes? I've managed to talk with exactly one in all the years I've been at this. And Vulfix was very upset when a former member posted about a visit to their facility on the Isle of Man and wanted to know, very forcefully, how he got in there. So, in lieu of any evidence to the contrary, I see no reason to doubt that the Rooney brushes are made how, and where, they are presented as being made.
Regards,
Gordon
Fido

Post by Fido »

I am pleased at last to report something positive.

I have just received a message from a respected contact at Taylors of Bond Street with whom I had a discussion last week. He spoke to Lee Sabini yesterday and told him of our conversation. Mr Sabini has given an assurance that Rooney brushes are still being made in England.

I am indeed delighted to be able to confirm this information and put this matter to rest. I hope soon to be in direct contact with Mr Sabini.
benyu

Post by benyu »

It's too funny. Even the "great" Bubbery is Made in China now. Does it make sense to talk about the origin of your brush. maybe no "Made in China" logo on the handle,but it is really a Chinese make.
“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pine-English Author
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

benyu, Apparently you didn't read the above posts.
Regards,
Gordon
drumana

Post by drumana »

Sodapopjones wrote:Their lack of forthcoming hasn't really put me off, the fact there is a large thread on "that other forum" about shedding issues is what had put me off from Rooney for the moment.
FWIW, I've had now a total of five Rooney brushes (all purchased from VB), and none of them have had quality control issues. I sold some of them off because of personal preferences (too big, too small, etc...) but they were all great brushes.
-Andrew-
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I gather they're not the easiest company to deal with if you're a retailer, but my own experience is the same -- excellent quality and no problems at all. I've had four of them & like them all.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Fido

Post by Fido »

I was in St James's and Jermyn Street, London today and I visited the 3 Ts and DR Harris. It is widely known that RA Rooney has been dissolved, and the Rooney brand name remains with Mr Sabini. No Rooney brushes were in any of the shops. Rooney lookalikes with the shops brand name were everywhere.