Lost my beloved BK4 . . . .

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
rgc

Lost my beloved BK4 . . . .

Post by rgc »

I just lost my BK4 on a trip and now I have to replace it. The problem is that $ is tighter now then when I bought it so I am trying to look for something under $30 (I know, don't laugh). I am thinking boar . . . any suggestions?
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I would strongly suggest either the Omega Boar .....check the Moss thread. Or a Semogue 2000. Omega a bit better on the wallet but I own the Semogue 2000 and it lathers literally better than any of my badger brushes....and yes I do own a BK4 and love it. This is my "customized" 2000 in a lather bath with TOBS Jermyn St..
Image A true cream performer and with lather the dickens out of soaps as well. I would be willing to bet though that the Omega is just as good if not better. Chris is sure happy with it!

Edit: If I didnt enjoy my BK4 so much I would pass it on but I cant do it:(
Teiste

Re: Lost my beloved BK4 . . . .

Post by Teiste »

rgc wrote:I just lost my BK4 on a trip and now I have to replace it. The problem is that $ is tighter now then when I bought it so I am trying to look for something under $30 (I know, don't laugh). I am thinking boar . . . any suggestions?
Im sorry about your lost my friend.For 30 bucks you can get a nice Semogue boar brush like the 2000 or if you the 1305/1800.
If you like facelathering only and hard soaps another cheap options are the Semogues 1460/70 wich has the same kind of hair than the 1520 and 620.
Sdemogues are outstanding in price and quality and they perform really well.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Are any of the Semogue brushes on the small side? I like 'em no bigger than about 4" tall.

Dave
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

DavidB wrote:Are any of the Semogue brushes on the small side? I like 'em no bigger than about 4" tall.

Dave
Check the 1520,620,1470 and 1460.Same hair and the loft is 50mm with a 22mm knot diameter.Perfects for facelathering.
drumana

Post by drumana »

Vulfix boar brush
-Andrew-
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Omega 31xxx.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Re: Lost my beloved BK4 . . . .

Post by M6Classic »

rgc wrote:I just lost my BK4 on a trip and now I have to replace it. The problem is that $ is tighter now then when I bought it so I am trying to look for something under $30 (I know, don't laugh). I am thinking boar . . . any suggestions?
For about 50 Euros, this is hard to beat and will make Gordon envious...

http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161 ... ts/P955612

...and for under 40 Euros...

http://www.rasageplisson.com/epages/161 ... s/PA955800

...but I'm just a Plisson sorta guy.

Buzz
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

drumana wrote:Vulfix boar brush
I have a couple of the new Vulfix boar brushes with the lathe-turned handle (mine have the #2233 handle), and can highly recommend them. In fact, they're my daily brush.

Dave
Araner

Post by Araner »

And, if you don’t want to make anyone envious, but do want a damn fine brush at a low, low price… try the Omega 10049 professional brush. It’s a bleach blond boar with a beautiful molded handle in red, white or black plastic; very stylish and it performs like a pro!

slimjim5751

Post by slimjim5751 »

Try this link may give some idea what you want

http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/produc ... SubCatID=1
Jim
rgc

Post by rgc »

Well guys, it was down to the Semogue 620 and the Omega 31025, but then, a wonderful member here (who happens to have a great shave store) made me an offer I can't refuse for a boar brush. So very generous of him! Thanks Paul.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

rgc wrote:Well guys, it was down to the Semogue 620 and the Omega 31025, but then, a wonderful member here (who happens to have a great shave store) made me an offer I can't refuse for a boar brush. So very generous of him! Thanks Paul.
Enjoy your new brush. Paul, you da man!

Dave
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Sorry about your loss, rgc. Paul comes through again!....Bravo!!.... =D>
Regards,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sorry to hear about your loss. To me, the BK4 is irreplaceable without buying another one, or spending still more money. If Paul hadn't ridden to the rescue, I was going to suggest one of those base-line house branded Rooney Pure Badgers that Vintage offers. I had one and it was really a very nice, workman-like brush.
Regards,
Gordon
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

The Plisson's for the price range seems like a ........a slap in the face .Cheap looking and a true POS. Sorry Buzz but they are not marketable in the US at that price. Vulfix would not dare even think about it. I might fork over $10 to try them. They look like like hell and can not believe Plisson would put their name on those brushes? Of course we all know why they are Plisson's;)
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I think this was all a ruse to begin with. Who takes trips anymore......too cold in Pensacola....so hauled it down to Napels Ramada? Really who leaves their house any longer....no cable?

Best,
Fitch
diggity

Post by diggity »

Sorry to hear about your loss, but glad you got a new brush!

Fitch, it must be snowing out there? :wink:
Nathan
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

ATLpr8head wrote:The Plisson's for the price range seems like a ........a slap in the face .Cheap looking and a true POS. Sorry Buzz but they are not marketable in the US at that price. Vulfix would not dare even think about it. I might fork over $10 to try them. They look like like hell and can not believe Plisson would put their name on those brushes? Of course we all know why they are Plisson's;)
My experience is at variance with yours.

Buzz
rgc

Post by rgc »

Now Fitch, it is never to cold in Pensacola, sometimes to hot though. Believe it or not my Mom's retirement present to herself was to take the whole family on a cruise. I thought the trip was capped off by my wife's purse being left in a taxi cab in Mexico, that is until I got home and realized I was sans brush.