A pre-July 2005 Shavemac silvertip

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
bald1

A pre-July 2005 Shavemac silvertip

Post by bald1 »

Much has been made of the changes Bernd made back in 2005 to the silvertip he was using. And with the more recent introduction of the D01 grade of silvertip, many have opined that the thicker, often barbed hair with overall firmer backbone of the earlier silvertips is now available again. Bernd also offers a higher density option as well.

Well I honestly don't know about all this fuss as I don't own a newer Shavemac silvertip or D01 flavor. What I do know is that the Thuja wood modified stubby handle he fitted with a premium silvertip knot in April 2002 continues to serve me extremely well. It is not floppy at all, holds a tremendous amount of water, and works equally well with cremes and soaps that I build lather with in a stainless heated cup. It measures Ht 110, Handle 48, Loft 62, Knot 23. As for density, I'll let the pictures do the talking. It is shown next to my Rooney 2/1 Super (Ht 107, Handle 55, Loft 52, Knot 22). Keep in mind that the loft measures 10mm difference.

For an 8 year old brush it is in great condition. It was used daily until 2007 when I acquired the Rooney Super but still is used at least 4 or more times per week and remains my favorite. Bristle loss over the years has been less than the fingers on one hand. Some worry about wood handles. Proper care to shake excess water out after use and hanging it hair down to dry helps. But the various finishes on wood will all ultimately show the effects of hot water immersion and handling. The easiest and most effective maintenance is to apply a coating of a food grade mineral oil-beeswax mixture periodically. This is the same stuff you want to use on your kitchen's wood cutting boards as well. It works very very well.

Others might weigh in about how it appears compared to their newer Shavemac silvertips and D01s. Post 'em up :wink:
Last edited by bald1 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Bob
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Bob! Nice looking brushes.
Regards,
Andy
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Really love the craftsmanship of Shavemac!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thanks for the interesting post. I suspect that Peter and BobS may have more to contribute.....Chris M. as well. The few pre-2005 premium Shavemacs that made it to these forums were two banded, whilst I note that yours is three band, so, I'm not sure that you have the exact same bristle that they had. The few that we saw all were larger brushes also, if I recall correctly; 26-28mm knots for the most part.
Regards,
Gordon
bald1

Post by bald1 »

Thanks gents!

Gordon,

Indeed I'm hoping for input from both Dr Moss and Peter as I've read some of their older opinions from back in 2006 about the old and new shavemac silvertips. (http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7827) I'm curious as to how they look at things now as well as how the D01 really compares to the older silvertip.

You mention the two and three band difference. Interesting..... And did their two banded brushes evidence barbed bristle tips? Mine doesn't have many barbs at all.
--Bob
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome, Bob; That is one beautiful brush!
Regards,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bob, Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think they were barbed, but I'm not certain. The first posted on the forums was by BobS on the old Wetshaver forum. I was taken aback because in his somewhat less than refined photo, it was still evident that it was real white cap bristle, which at the time, only the Simpson 'Manchurian' brushes and the Plisson HMW & EWs were.
Regards,
Gordon
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Bob,

In the meantime you read this old post and you learned that all the pre june 2005 silvertips Shavemacs were barbed, except for the 220.

FWIW: currently i exclusively only use my Vulfix two band super Simpsons...i haven't touched my Shavemacs in the past two years.... :wink:
Peter
bald1

Post by bald1 »

drP wrote:Bob,

In the meantime you read this old post and you learned that all the pre june 2005 silvertips Shavemacs were barbed, except for the 220.

FWIW: currently i exclusively only use my Vulfix two band super Simpsons...i haven't touched my Shavemacs in the past two years.... :wink:
Peter,

You caught me :) Yes I have a similar thread running over on B&B and did just quote your old post.

Interesting that you say you haven't touched your Shavemacs now in two years. Your #220, which seems to bear similarities to mine, was touted as your favorite. In what ways does your Vulfix era Simpson deliver what I presume the #220 doesn't?
--Bob
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Bob,

It's not the fact that i don't like my #220 anymore but more the simple reason that i can choose from about 13 Vulfix two banded supers and that's more than enough for me...but one of the days (maybe even tomorrow morning.. :wink: ) i should use the #220 once again...

Apart from that i'm particularly fond of the Simpsons handles, which are more appealing to me than the Shavemac handles, including the handle of the #220...
Peter
bald1

Post by bald1 »

Peter,

Thank you. I appreciate the clarification which I find most understandable. For those who don't know what the 220 (and its handle) looks like, I found this recent picture here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127349 along side a Simpson Chubby 2.

I would think that a good many eschew wood handles as well as the modified chubby mine sports. But rather than expand things here to include handle designs and ergonomics, I'm still hoping to get opinion updates from you and others who have both the older and newer styles of silvertip used by Bernd. Dr. Moss was pretty clear in his favorite back in 2006. With the availability of D01 I wonder if that's changed or if he still feels the older silvertip is king.

To be frank, much of the reason for my query here has to do with the fact that when I ordered my Thuja wood custom in 2002, I also ordered a "beginner" for my youngest son. I'm now considering presenting him with a new brush to replace his well used pure badger Shavemac. He's a soap user who whips up lather in a mug for both his face and head. He's bald (takes after me as I was loosing my hair in HS) and dislikes what he calls the "monk" look. The differences between the newer silvertip and D01 and what I have will be one of the factors in just what to order for him and from whom.
--Bob
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

Bob,

I can compare multiple old Shavemacs with just one shavemac D01 and i must say that the bristles in the latter are less pronounced white and less stiff and resilient; finally the loft is less denser than the lofts of my old Shavemacs which are impressively dense...
I find the old badger more impressive, more strikingly of you want than the D01. But maybe my D01 is not quite representative for the D01 badger in general....
Peter
bald1

Post by bald1 »

Peter,

Again my thanks for your assessment.

What then, in today's market, exhibits the characteristics you found in your 220 and I in my Thuja chubby? I should toss in a caveat that I'm not about to pop several hundred dollars for a high grade Simpson for him though. Is there anything worthy of consideration that you could suggest?

I'm thinking that there probably isn't anything out there with a reasonable price anymore and that perhaps I simply should look at a Rooney for him. That after asking Bernd if he has any of the old hair salted away somewhere :)
--Bob
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

bald1 wrote:Peter,

Again my thanks for your assessment.

What then, in today's market, exhibits the characteristics you found in your 220 and I in my Thuja chubby? I should toss in a caveat that I'm not about to pop several hundred dollars for a high grade Simpson for him though. Is there anything worthy of consideration that you could suggest?

I'm thinking that there probably isn't anything out there with a reasonable price anymore and that perhaps I simply should look at a Rooney for him. That after asking Bernd if he has any of the old hair salted away somewhere :)
A Simpsons in two band super or even in (two band) best should fit perfectly though imho....and it would have to cost no more than in between $100,- and $150,-
A Rooney Heritage would be a good alternative.
Peter
bald1

Post by bald1 »

Food for thought :) Thank you Peter!
--Bob
xChris

Post by xChris »

Here is a review that I did on an "Old Apothecary" (Rooney) in finest. About three-fourths of the way down, I compare a Pre-JUL 05 Shavemac (model 436) to it.
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13393

I'm not sure if I have a D01 knot. Were the 2007 Forums brushes (black handle w/ nickel ferrule) in D01? Without knowing for sure, I have to say that I prefer the pre-JUL 05 hair.
Chris
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I did prefer the old style hair as it was stiffer and personified the suction effect of a lightbulb shaped brush. I was caught out by the change in hair as I bought what was supposed to be another one just the same as mine to give to an experienced fellow member. He couldn't see what I was raving about and it turned out the hair had been changed to thin soft and silky stuff that is still good, but not as good. My Shavemacs live on the wall of shame now, as I just use the Omega boar.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bald1

Post by bald1 »

xChris,

Thanks for that link.... hadn't seen that one before. And yes your pictures of the knot's bloom look remarkably like mine does.

Dr. Moss.... Chris....

I'm speechless. While I joined here a good number of years ago as well as at other shaving forum sites, I never did get all that involved. I admit my shock at all the current boar discussions having tried one in my youth to my displeasure. I'm a sexagenarian whose habits are pretty well locked in I suppose. So the injectors and badger brushes I've been using since the late '50s have become trusted and reliable tools. So when you mention an Omega Boar I'm really not sure if you're serious or pulling my leg. Either way the comment was so unexpected that indeed I'm basically speechless :) Regardless I do appreciate the sanity check on old versus new Shavemac silvertip preferences.

ADDENDUM

Well to my everlasting chagrin, I just did a search and lo and behold I find Dr. Moss and his Omega 3005. Guess i need to look deeper to discover the roots of his transformation :)
--Bob
bald1

Post by bald1 »

Aside from finding and reading a lot of old drmoss_ca posts, I have thrown caution to the wind in deference to Chris, burying bad memories of almost 50 years ago, and ordered a new boar brush for me to "re-experience." It is a 80005 beechwood handled Omega (Ht 110, Handle 55, Loft 55, Knot 24) for a whopping $14.98 shipped.

That said the quest for a presento for my son continues.
--Bob
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm glad I didn't cost you a huge amount of money!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace