Mühle Safety Razors

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Nate

Mühle Safety Razors

Post by Nate »

I talk lately of ending my ADs. I should have known not to listen to myself and I advise you all to take the next statement with a grain of salt: I think the LAST thing I need to buy, for a fully stocked shave den, is a Muhle razor.

My current stock of razors are all old Gillettes, and my question is are the Muhles more agrressive? I have the Nate's Blade Sampler Pack (Feathers, Super Iridiums, and Yellow 7'Oclocks) and I want a razor that might pronounce the differences a little more than my Gillettes do.

I have kind of automatically written off the open comb version(R41) because it is just that, but still feel free to persuade me on that because I have never used an open comb. Which leaves the black handle(R109) or the silver(R89). I was automatically drawn to the black handled because it looked at me just the right way and I found it uniquely attractive. But then you know I had to think about practical use. And well, the silver handle does seem to make more sense.? How do the two handles compare?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi i will tell you that a muehle is be more aggressive than most fixed head gillettes ... generally gillette are on the mild side...

the new muehles and edwin jaggers are a little less aggressive than most murkers

as far as handles go... they are pretty much the same understanding the all metal handle is probably slightly heavier and that will change the fell of the razor slightly

the heavier the total razor many times means you need even less pressure, because the razors wieght gives the proper pressure to your face
naturally just by its wieght...on the other side of the coin a heavier razor will feel a little bit more aggressive

hope this makes sense and helps

marc
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

The R89 & R106 have the new head & most find them milder than the Merkur straight bar. The New R41 still has a Merkur open comb head.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I am glad to hear that they are more aggressive than the Gillettes. The fact that they are less aggressive than a Merkur Doesn't help all that much because I have never used a Merkur. Marc, thats good to know about the weight because I do like a little weight on the handle. Also I do want one of the new Muhle heads so that does rule out the open comb. With regards to the handles, is black one a whole lot harder to use i.e. slippery, hard to hold onto and control?
suffolksupplies
Vendor

I have never found a smooth handle to be slippy.

If weight is an issue this info maybe of some help:

Feather
Feather Popular - 1-piece (TTO), Straight Bar, 4” Handle, 32g

Gillette

Super Speed (English) - TTO, Straight Bar, 3” Metal Handle, 58g
Super Speed (US) - TTO, Straight Bar, 3” Black Handle, 46g
Super Adjustable (US) - TTO, Straight Bar, 4” Black Handle, 68g
Slim Adjustable (US) - TTO, Straight Bar, 4” Metal Handle, 70g

Harris / Edwin Jagger

New Muehle / Edwin Jagger Straight Bar Head
Chatsworth - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4” Resin Handle, 64g
DE 87/89 - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/4” Resin Handle, 70g

Merkur Classic Straight Bar Head
Chatsworth (old) - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4” Resin Handle, 62g

Lord
Lord Premium 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4” Aluminium Handle, 46g

Merkur

Merkur Classic Straight Bar Head
23C - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4" Handle, 58g
33C - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3" Handle, 50g
34C - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3" Handle, 78g
38C - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4 " Handle, 112g
42 - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3" Handle, 66g
933CL (travel) - 4-piece, Straight Bar, 46g
985CL (travel) - 4-piece, Open Comb, 44g

Merkur Slant Bar
37C - 2-piece, Slant, 3" Handle, 76g
39C - 2-piece, Slant, 3 3/4 " Handle, 110g

Merkur Open Comb Head
11C - 2-piece, Open Comb, 3" Handle, 76g
12C - 2-piece, Open Comb, 3 3/4 " Handle, 106g
15C - 3-piece, Open Comb, 3" Handle, 50g
25C - 3-piece, Open Comb, 3 3/4" Handle, 56g
41 - 3-piece, Open Comb, 3" Handle, 64g

Adjustable

2000 (Vision) – 1-piece (TTO), Straight Bar, 4 1/4" Handle, 126g
500 / 570 (Progress) - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3" Handle, 88g
510 (Progress LH)- 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4" Handle, 98g
700, 701, 702 (Futur) - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4" Handle, 122g

Muehle

New Muehle / Edwin Jagger Straight Bar Head
R89 - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/4" Chrome Metal Handle, 66g
R109 - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/4" Black Resin Handle, 58g
R68SR - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4 1/4" Dark (black) Buffalo Horn Handle, 76g
R90SR - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4 1/4" Miror Chrome Metal Handle, 130g
R84SR - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4 1/4" White Porcelain Handle, 94g
R42SR - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 4 1/4" Light (brown) Buffalo Horn Handle, 76g

Merkur Open Comb Head
R41 - 3-piece, Open Comb, 3 1/4" Handle, 50g

Parker

60R - 1-piece (TTO), Straight Bar, 3 3/4” Handle, 52g
71R - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/2” Handle, 82g
89R - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/2” Handle, 82g
90R - 1-piece (TTO), Straight Bar, 3 3/4” Handle, 82g
91R - 3-piece, Straight Bar, 3 1/2” Handle, 82g
Last edited by suffolksupplies on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
lradke

Post by lradke »

I wouln't say Muhles are more aggressive than the average Gillette. I went from vintage gillettes ('40s rocket & '58 superspeed were my razors of choice) to the Muhle R106. I find that the R106 is very forgiving, and gives a better shave than any of my Gillettes. I typically use Re Israelis and Feathers with my Muhle, and it actually leaves a little room for error (which I use up ;P) when shaving. I was afraid of the sleek black handle of the R106, worrie that it would slip out of my hand when wet, but that has NEVER been a problem for me. I love my Muhle and it is the only razor I use now.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I would let you know what I think!

~Luke
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good info Paul, thanks for the addition to the thread.

No razor is slippery is the handle and hands are dry.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

well nate, the muhle is by far a finer piece of quality coating over a merkur or a gillette. i've used all three and can say that in my opinion a gillette and muhle are very close. a merkur HD is oh so slightly more aggressive then a muhle but the merkur 38c (with the same hd head) is really a performer. the extra weight gets the job done. after trying them, i would say go with the muhle if you want a quality piece but go wioth a 38c if you want the whiskers gone in a smooth fashion. i think a 38c is smoother than a futur and practically as good unless you want to go "bbs stupid ":lol: ps. get that sr brush yet? :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Nate

Post by Nate »

Truly good information Paul, thank you. I think the weight difference is just enough to make me lean towards the metal handle.

Squire I can't promise that either will be dry during the shave. Oh yes, I could try and succeed by wiping my hands and all that but I don't want all the fuss, you know what I mean?

Gil, thats interesting. I see only one solution: buy them both (R89 and 38C), which I probably will end up doing. And yes the brush got here Saturday, along with the cream thank you, but I can't open it till Wednesday as I guess it is a true Birthday Present and all that.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I have the EJ with the 89 head. I was using a Gillette long handled black adjustable at a 3 setting. I would say that the 89 is not more agressive but for me I guess the shave angle is far superior. Go figure. It is great with Iridiums and not so great wit Kai blades. I can live with that. So far, it is the best razor I have tried.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Nate,

I have the EJ 89L, Muhle 89R, Merkur 38c, and Merkur 23c. All are very good razors and give me great shaves. However, I keep gravitating back to the EJ 89L as my favorite. It is hard to explain. I do not use the EJ 24X7 and I rotate through the others but there is something about the EJ - the head, balance, etc just work better for me. I also have Personna Reds, Derbys, and Feathers for blades and my go to blade is the Personna Red. The Derbys and Feathers give good shaves but the EJ 89L, loaded with a Personna Red, is my favorite!!

One other point...

As I was getting started in DE/wet shaving, I read posts where a Feather may be aggressive, a Merkur 38c may be aggressive, etc, etc. What I have discovered is that while one razor or blade may be aggressive to one shaver, it may not be to the other. This is where things get sticky. One could spend a small fortune just finding the right combination that is best for them. Wish there was an easy chart one could go to.

I kind of feel like I am rambling...does any of the seasoned DE/wet shavers have any advice?? :?: :?:

Thanks much,
Ed
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Ed, I have used all you have listed except the 89R and loads of different Gillettes. I agree that the EJ 89L is my favorite too. Maybe it's the new blade exposure but I am reaching for the 89L constantly these days. With me it's the Super Iridiums and you the Red's. Stick with what works. I think we are onto something with the 89L.

Max
EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

I have found that passing my wet hands over a bar of alum keeps my hands tacky and avoids slippage. I find the Merkur slant is a great razor as is the Futur. Both are much more aggressive than my Gillette TTOs. The size of the Slant makes it easier to manipulate however.

Paul , do you know how many grams a Futur weighs?
suffolksupplies
Vendor

700, 701, 702 (Futur) - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4" Handle, 122g
Best regards,

Paul

EverSharp

Post by EverSharp »

[quote="suffolksupplies"]700, 701, 702 (Futur) - 2-piece, Straight Bar, 3 3/4" Handle, 122g[/quote]

Thanks, no wonder it plows through!
Nate

Post by Nate »

An update gentlemen, on the way is a Merkur 38C.
Last edited by Nate on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

geez nate, when you jump, you jump big! the 39c is a far cry away from a de89 :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Nate

Post by Nate »

Whoops I meant the straight bar 38C. Gil, I can blame this one on you! It wasn't even on my radar until you mentioned it. I figured why not go for something a little more pronounced. And it is a beauty of a razor, they both are.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

nate you won't be disappointed. the 38c is like the hd and won't bite you like a futur can. but on the other hand the 38c cuts thru whiskers much better then its little brother which has the same head. to me the difference was quite surprising. the 38c is my go to comfort razor while the futur is for adventure :lol:
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

gil be honest ... both the futur and 38c are serius shaving machines