Ever regret getting rid of a scent you liked?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Ever regret getting rid of a scent you liked?

Post by Sam »

I sometimes sell a scent thinking why do I have it, why do I have so many bottles, and thinking that I wont wear it again. Some I regretted. I had the 1st version of Chergui, sold it, got a new bottle which was after the Great Reformulation, and then did not like it as much and rued that I sold the first. Sold my Fumerie Turque and I miss it but not like Chergui.

Some I have bought back and glad I did, like Tauer's L'Air du Desert Morocain. Creeds have come and gone many times, and since I get compliments on GIT and MI, will keep those.

So I am needing a bottle to round me out and thinking I regret selling my Comme Des Garcons 2 Man (and if you know of a great deal on one, contact me?????).

I know there are others out there, so share your story and lemmings.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Sam, I'm not in the same camp. I've kept all purchases and not had the opportunity to get rid of the ones I don't like. I've purchased quite a lot of backups to some though. I'm up to about 150 bottles of the ones I like and their backups.

:?: :idea: Yes, I'm mad, I'm mad, quite mad I tell you!!!!!!! :x :x :x :shock:
Regards,
Jani
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Last edited by joe mcclaine on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I never throw anything away. I am though very hesitant to buy an aftershave if it is sayed to have a lasting scent. Been pondering a long time if I should buy Musgo Real AS.

This answer of course does not satisfy you dudes reading this thread, you using colognes and all that stuf.

Myself I apply Nivea Fresh Active antiperspirant rollon on my elbows and I am happy with it, since it seems quite shuttle and keeps me fresh on these wintery months, summer will show if I need something else. It is a regular store brand so nothing high end.

For the AS I like Speick lotion splash a lot. It is even less longer lasting than say the residues from my MWF soap that is also quite subdued in scent, but something it has that lasts that I dont like so much, perhaps a more carefull rinse? Tabac soap I dont surprisingly find not at all overpowering unlike all other Tabac stuff that stink after.

Thats just me, not fond of any strong scents.

Jarmo
Jarmo
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I haven't reached a position of being able to. I've vastly expanded my scent wardrobe embracing wet shaving. I used to be a Bay Rum and Guerlain Imperiale guy.
Now those two have been joined by Alt Innsbruk, Bois de Portugal, Woods Of Windsor, Tabac and Sandalwood, albiet a few are mere sample vials with full containers on my wish list.
What I DO see is an eventual economic culling, and not wtih obvious reasons. My Imperiale is a nice big bottle stolen at a estate sale. It will last me no few years with rotation. But I cannot justify it's price again for a short experience when 2 or even 3 other of my rotation may be had for the same cash outlay. As for BDP. The vials are like some magic gas additive and I for one see the cost as fair.
No, the real world tells me with so many really nice 100ML offerings in the $20-$30 range a bottle for $60+ wont be on my christmas list to Santa.
Araner

Post by Araner »

Every year I throw away a bottle of Aqua Velva Musk. About 6 months later I start missing that sickly weird obnoxious scent and I buy another bottle. This has been going on forever.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Rarely. But I did let a bottle of Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine go one time and very much regretted it.....especially when I found I couldn't replace it.
Regards,
Gordon
diggity

Post by diggity »

Well, Gordon....that just takes the cake. Here I was a bit disappointed for selling the C&S Neroli, but when you mention things you can't get anymore....that's a whole new ballgame.
Nathan
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Good: a piece of mildly odd behaviour I _haven't_ indulged in. I'm relieved.

But I do have the opposite gimmick: find something I like so much that I become terrified that it will run out and they'll have reformulated or discontinued it in the interim, so I hoard it instead of wearing it... does that one strike a chord with any of my fellow sickos oops connoisseurs here?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
levente

Post by levente »

Bargepole wrote:Good: a piece of mildly odd behaviour I _haven't_ indulged in. I'm relieved.

But I do have the opposite gimmick: find something I like so much that I become terrified that it will run out and they'll have reformulated or discontinued it in the interim, so I hoard it instead of wearing it... does that one strike a chord with any of my fellow sickos oops connoisseurs here?
Well, I do have about 400 ml of Patou Pour Homme socked away, if that counts....

Regards,
Basil
JimDandy

Post by JimDandy »

Bargepole wrote: But I do have the opposite gimmick: find something I like so much that I become terrified that it will run out and they'll have reformulated or discontinued it in the interim, so I hoard it instead of wearing it... does that one strike a chord with any of my fellow sickos oops connoisseurs here?
Ahem... a deep and resonant chord, Michael.

HER: (Very seductive) You know, I'd really like you to wear blah, blah tomorrow. You haven't worn it since I met you.

ME: Well, it's getting hard to find and I'm saving it for something special.

HER: For the love of... WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!

Regards,

Les
Perhaps one day we'll look back on this moment and crash into a parked car.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Bargepole wrote:Good: a piece of mildly odd behaviour I _haven't_ indulged in. I'm relieved.

EEEEEEEHHHHHHHH
Regards,
Jani
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Les, she's actually pulled that one on ME.
Regards,
Jani
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Last edited by joe mcclaine on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

lol my Kouros After shave toner. If I use just a few drops the ladies I come near will faint. It is strong as hell and I never want women to be feel offended :lol:
Jarmo
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

levente wrote: Well, I do have about 400 ml of Patou Pour Homme socked away, if that counts....

Regards,
Basil
8,000 feet above the Rhône. Weather socking in a bit. Port engine a little rough, nothing to worry about.

Weather gets worse. Wx radar goes on the fritz. Port engine becomes a little more something to worry about.

WHOMP. Sideswipe turbulence. Feh. Nothing. Then that picked-up-and-shaken-by-a-giant Rottweiler sensation that only comes from embedded cumulonimbus. "Bugger this," I think to myself (is there anyone else you can actually think to, I wonder?) and announce a diversion to Avignon.

SWMBO starts looking through the emergency manual -- the Michelin one, not the Grumman American GA-7 Pilot Operating Handbook, which is old hat -- and discovers a nice hotel with an excellent restaurant.

Land at Avignon in torrential rain and the cloudbase at minimums. Call taxi. Go to hotel. Normally (they explain) they are booked a year in advance but -- guess what, Sir? -- they just had a call: a couple flying down from Paris. She had slipped getting into their aircraft, also a GA-7, fallen, broken her leg and cancelled. Youpi! A room!

Put my daughter (3) to bed. Bathe. Spruce up. This is a top-class joint: spot of Patou Homme is called for. Go to dinner. Come back. Daughter had smashed entire bottle in the bath. Room smelt great but... no more Patou. No more ever. That was that.

Daughter is my own flesh and blood. My posterity. I love her like a... well, like a father, really. And she was only little, back then. And there was no malice. And she had woken up in a strange bed and pottered about to see what was going on & the baby monitoring service hadn't heard the bottle breaking and by the time they looked in on her 5 minutes later she was back in bed asleep.

Blood, as I say, of my blood, bone of my bone.

Have I ever forgiven her?

Go on. Ask If I have ever forgiven her.

I mean PATOU HOMME, for God's sake. She thinks in due course I'm going to pay for her wedding? Ha.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Odd coincidence talking of weddings and the Patou clan. My best man, a fellow medical student, was a Patou, but his father had clothing shops in Oxford Street and a Rolls Royce. I know they had family in France, so perhaps there was a connection. Next time I talk to him (he now lives in California and is a 'venture capitalist,' whatever that is) I will have to ask.

So did you forgive her? <ducks>

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace