Out with the Brylcreem, in with the Harris

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Nate

Out with the Brylcreem, in with the Harris

Post by Nate »

Man, just two times of using D.R. Harris Portugal Hair Lotion and I am converted. I LOVE this stuff. The Brylcreem never got used much, it left my hair greasy, and held it in place too much. This paired with their Lemon Cream Shampoo, although not necessary but highly recommended, is a wonderful match. The scent is a great citrus scent. It stays but doesn't project. When I stand up after sitting down I can always get a good whiff of it. I "took a risk" getting the version with oil, I say take a risk because this was my first hair lotion and didn't know what to expect, and did it pay off. This does not leave my hair greasy at all and doesn't hold it in place or anything like that, which I find a plus. All in all, great stuff and I will be buying more.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Nate, I'm glad you liked it. Fortunatly the stuff is still easily obtainable. I dread the day with it becomes unobtainium.
Regards,
Jani
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yes that will be a sad day. How is the other Harris Hair Lotion in fragrance?

On a somewhat related note I think that they should change the name from Lemon Cream Shampoo to Lemon Crystal Shampoo, I find it to be rather grainy and well, crystally. Not that that is a bad thing.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Just an update, I was complimented twice on my hair today. Didn't use any shampoo, threw on some some of my now trusty hair lotion and I get comments such as "I'm sorry could you repeat that I was 'mesmerized' by your hair. You could be a hair model."

If anyone is looking for a hair lotion or is already on the fence than let this be the final push.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nate, The Harris's hair lotions with oil are available in several different percentages of oil, which one did you get?
Regards,
Gordon
Nate

Post by Nate »

Gordon, it is my understanding that the other scents come in "oil fractions", but the Eau de Portugal was either simply with oil or without. Keep in mind I may be incorrect, but this was just my knowledge.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Nate, you're correct. The oil used in the EdP is quite different from the one used in the other dressings they offer.
Regards,
Jani
Nate

Post by Nate »

Ah Jani, I was waiting for you to chip in. You were the one that got me into it so I consider you my "Harris Hair Lotion Authority"
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

When I tried to convert my hair to "Old Man Style" last year, I discovered that Trumper's Limes Hair Cream is simply hair gel with lime scent, that Taylor's EdP works fine if you like oily hair, and that Trumper's Skin Food has more uses than you might expect. Especially when rubbed into damp hair, it will hold like a somewhat-less-than-concrete gel.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nate & Jani, Ah....so. Well then, if you had to guess, about what percentage of oil do you reckon the Harris's Eau de Portugal has?
Regards,
Gordon
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Gordon, 1/16.
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani, Okay....I might be able to do that. Must keep it in mind.
Regards,
Gordon
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Re: Out with the Brylcreem, in with the Harris

Post by Austin »

Nate wrote:Man, just two times of using D.R. Harris Portugal Hair Lotion and I am converted. I LOVE this stuff. The Brylcreem never got used much, it left my hair greasy, and held it in place too much. This paired with their Lemon Cream Shampoo, although not necessary but highly recommended, is a wonderful match. The scent is a great citrus scent. It stays but doesn't project. When I stand up after sitting down I can always get a good whiff of it. I "took a risk" getting the version with oil, I say take a risk because this was my first hair lotion and didn't know what to expect, and did it pay off. This does not leave my hair greasy at all and doesn't hold it in place or anything like that, which I find a plus. All in all, great stuff and I will be buying more.
I love their Lemon Cream shampoo. It's a stand out and a little goes a long way. I use Trumpers Eucris. It has oil but does not leave your hair oily.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Does the Eucris contain castor oil as the Harris EdP?
Eric
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Flash G wrote:Does the Eucris contain castor oil as the Harris EdP?
Easy to tell the difference: in hair dressings with mineral oil, the oil sits on top in a separate layer and you have to shake them before use. Castor oil sits in suspension in the liquid; no need to shake to mix. Trumper's Floreka (amber & green versions) and San Remo use castor oil; Eucris and Coronis use mineral oil.

The main thing is that hair dressings with oil have the same effect as going about with slightly damp hair all day. Surface tension holds the hair in place. Hair dressings with gum (like the Trumper's "hair creams" like Limes or Sandalwood) basically glue the hair together (some softening the effect with glycerine.) Solid "pomades" like Yardley or Trumper use a mixture of surface tension and the fact that the petrolatum (and sometimes waxes) are semi-solid at normal temperatures. And modern pomades, like the American Crew stuff and its ilk, the excellent Roger & Gallet, and the equally excellent but much stronger Truefitt & Hill pomade, use various polymers to achieve the same effect. (If you can give yourself a fauxhawk, the stuff's using wax or polymers.)

There. Glad I got *that* off my chest.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Michael, I didn't know the San Remo used any oil at all. Then again... I've not used it more than once. Fantastic scent. Too bad about it being discontinued.
Regards,
Jani
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

:P
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Bargepole wrote:

There. Glad I got *that* off my chest.

Not convoluted at all. If only I could of had chemistry taught to me in this wise in High School...laugh. Thanks for getting that weight off your pompadour or fauxhawk as it were. Yes, the San Remo was described in the older Trumper catalogues as having a touch of oil. Matter of fact was produced for King George V ,who had personally asked, Mr. Trumper himself to make up a dressing that would not stain his hat bands. I hate talking about discontinued Trumper products though....so last decade....doncha know. This would be a great moment ,however, to pick back up with that Stephen Fry "San Remo" story you left hanging Bargepole. Jani, as nice as the scent of this was ,for me, it's eclipsed by the "Special Lotion" scent even more. To compare Trumpers hair lotions/preparations to those of Harris is a NO contest. Trumpers were the nicest, manliest I've ever had the chance to experience. From the names, the bottles, the fragrances...not even close. I would just assume wear "Pluko" pomade though to anything making it's way from these outfits today. One exception are the Floreka's in those "marvellous plastic travel bottles for any truly modern man." To be fair though the plastic bottles are of pretty good quality compared to most on the shelves. Let's all have a good hair week....

Best,
Fitch
Last edited by F.W. Fitch on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Just a few more thoughts regarding Harris's product line. Their brilliantine is/was out of this world in terms of scent. The 'old chemist' quaint oil variations ,unique to them, have been done away with to just 1/4 option. I have a 100ml of the (fantastically decadent) "Florimel" with 'no oil', and another, in the 150ml size that has 1/2 % (anyone here?) The higher % one is used more as I would a brilliantine... lightly. They do have proper heavy bottles, but they pour out too rapid, so an adjustment is called for. Floris made some darn nice ones also and well......

Best,
Fitch
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Fitch, the 'Special Lotion'... Unfortunatly that one slipped by me and I've never been able to find a bottle of it. Would have loved to try it.

Floris made superb dressings. I have a bottle of their Honey & Flowers and a few others. Amazing stuff. The most difficult dressings to find are the Penhaligon's though. Would have loved to try some more of that as well. That Douro I have is almost near completion.
Regards,
Jani