New Schick Razors - Hydro 5 and Hydro 3

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

New Schick Razors - Hydro 5 and Hydro 3

Post by Pauldog »

http://www.schickhydro.com/

There's a 3-blade and a 5-blade version, and likely not compatible with anything older. I guess the next phase in shaving isn't more blades, just more variety and features. I think part of the strategy is to take away shelf space from older razors and blades, so it will get harder to find blades for Trac II, Tracer, Sensor Xtreme 3, Atra, DE, injector, etc. (It might make my stash of Sensor razors worth more, IF blades will still be available.)

The "amazing feature" of the Hydro is a lubrication strip with a reservoir for more lubricant. Just what MWF lovers have been clamoring for!
Last edited by Pauldog on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nate

Post by Nate »

It makes sense that they would release it before Gillette releases their new razor.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Also, what an interesting advertising theme.
95%

Post by 95% »

I've just shaved with the Hydro 5 and Trumper's Almond cream. There's no doubt it is comfortable; it just glides over the skin like Dagwood Bumstead's bladeless razor. Having used the 5-blade Fusion daily for more than 4 years, I was very alert to the differences between the two competitors. The Hydro is milder.

It does not, however, shave as close, even with four passes. There are times when it doesn't want to engage the whiskers. Instead, it skips over them. This may be due to an excessive amount of lubricating gel being squeezed out upon the face, or it may be the angle of the blades, or an inability to push the rich lather out of the way. These cartridges, remember, were designed for men who use canned foam and gels, of which, naturally, there is a new Hydro line.

This is only an intial take, however. I'll continue with the Hydro and see if a different technique will help.
Porter
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

One thing I never understood with the lubricating strips/reservoirs: If those things were supposed to lubricate, wouldn't have made more sense to put them on the cartridge before the blades?
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

why do we even care ...i dont

let them make twenty blades a cartridge and load it up will turmpers cream and trumpers skin food and i still dont care

now if they started making 5 blade packs of usa quality de blades

then we would have something to talk about

marc
95%

Post by 95% »

The lubricant apparently serves as an instant balm to sooth the skin after the blades pass over it. I'm not convinced it's necessary.
Porter
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

95% wrote:I've just shaved with the Hydro 5

How does the blade fit into the handle? Do you know if the 3 and 5 fit the same?

At any rate, I think this means that Dorco's 6-blade monster is probably the end of the line for number of blades squeezed into a cartridge.
function

Post by function »

Pauldog wrote: At any rate, I think this means that Dorco's 6-blade monster is probably the end of the line for number of blades squeezed into a cartridge.
If I had been around shaving forums longer I'd be searching frantically for a similar post from you or others around the time of the unveiling of the Sensor3
Last edited by function on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
95%

Post by 95% »

Pauldog wrote:How does the blade fit into the handle? Do you know if the 3 and 5 fit the same?

At any rate, I think this means that Dorco's 6-blade monster is probably the end of the line for number of blades squeezed into a cartridge.
The cartridges, which are in a plastic dispenser, snap into place on the handle exactly like earlier generations of multiblades. I don't know if all cartridges fit all handles, but these things are cheap anyway. I bought the Hydro 5 at Walgreen's for $8, and the package included the handle and two cartridges.

I agree we're not likely to see more blades in a cartridge. The upcoming Fusion ProGlide still has five. From here on out, there's not much left for the razor manufacturers to do. "They've gone about as fur as they can go."
Porter
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Why can't Schick re-release the Injectors, or a superior grade single bladed cart :cry:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
IanM

Post by IanM »

Sodapopjones wrote:Why can't Schick re-release the Injectors
+1 Indeed

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Oh, you old fashioned people! Go find a shaving forum where people discuss these things. :wink:
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

95% wrote:The cartridges, which are in a plastic dispenser, snap into place on the handle exactly like earlier generations of multiblades.

"Exactly like" means to me that the cartridge fits onto all handles you're referring to. But they don't, even though they are "all the same" in a more general way.

I'd still like to know if the Hydro 3 and Hydro 5 handles take both Hydro 3 and 5 blades (possible), and whether they fit any other handles (unlikely).

Someone told me something interesting recently. The Sensor-type cartridges made by American Safety Razor (Acti-Flexx and Tri-Flexx) will fit Gillette Sensor razors, but Sensor blades won't fit handles made by American Safety Razor. (Or at least not all of their Sensor-type handles.) Schick did a similar thing with their band razors relative to the Gillette Techmatic.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Aaron, Yeah, well that's what I wrote on the note I included in the box with the free Quattro that I sent back to them.....never got a reply from them though....imagine that...sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

bernards66 wrote:Aaron, Yeah, well that's what I wrote on the note I included in the box with the free Quattro that I sent back to them.....never got a reply from them though....imagine that...sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, nobody currently employed at Schick knows what an injector is :lol:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I tried a '3 the other day (wife was shopping and she got it free). Roughly equal to a Mach3, though the pivot engineering looks more like a Sensor (e.g. symmetrical). *yawn*
Sodapopjones wrote:Gordon, nobody currently employed at Schick knows what an injector is :lol:
I know you put a smiley in there but its probably more true that you think. :cry:

--Mark
95%

Post by 95% »

I gave the Hydro 5 a second go today, this time against a tough 48-hour growth of beard. I used T&H Lavender cream, which is a trip in itself. The results were excellent. Success with this razor depends to some extent upon the angle at which it is held to the face, and that requires experimentation. The pivot action is different from the Fusion to which I am accustomed, and I haven't quite mastered the correct way to hold the razor during south - to - north passes. It still skips over the stubble at times, instead of shaving it.

I could wish the Hydro (I almost wrote "Hydra") head were smaller. Schick could have made it a bit narrower, less bulky, and more manipulable. Nevertheless, I would rate it higher than any Schick or Gillette multiblade so far, except the Fusion, which I still prefer.
Porter
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

8) I have a 1958 Gillette Super Speed Hydro:
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Walgreens has a deal this week where you get a $5 buy-anything-in-the-store coupon if you buy a Hydro for about $8. So I went to look at them. The fitting of the 3 and 5 cartridges looks very similar, but I couldn't tell for sure if they were interchangeable, and I wasn't that interested in spending the money to find out. And I couldn't tell if the deal required the purchase of cartridges as well as a razor, and getting the deal on both razors probably involved going to two different stores to get two separate coupons.

All of that running around would be well worth it to me for injector razors, but not for yet another multi-blade "shaving system."

One think I noted on both Hydros was the blocky-looking "lubrication reservoir" at the top of the cartridges. I'm reminded of an old Saturday Night Live sketch where guest host Eric Idle talked about someone who had a vast infrastructure dedicated to dealing with his drooling.