What products does everyone use?

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I buy soap and shampoo about once every 2-years. I buy them online all at once based on experiences with the last purchase and a few new ideas I pick up on SMF. This time I also had to contend with my favorite face soap being discontinued.

face soaps:
Plumeria pure Glycerin Soap by Terra Nova
L'Occitane Savon Extra-Doux Lait

body soaps:
Lightfoot's Pure Pine Athletic Soap
Speick (an odd choice but I just love it)

shampoo:
American Crew Citrus Mint Refreshing Shampoo
American Crew Citrus Mint Cooling Conditioner

before bed washcloth cleanup:
Doux pure shea butter soap, Rose (not air dryed, intense scent)

Thats the lineup for the next 2-3 years. :D Wet Shaving has made me persnickety about all my other hygiene products as it probably has for most of you.

Scott
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Hi all

I had pretty bad acne as a teenager and definitely have oily skin. I don't have any problems now except the occasional minor pimple.

When trying different soap etc, don't forget that your skin responds to what you do - it doesn't just sit there. If you use a product that's too harsh, if you use too much of a perfectly good product, or if you wash too many times a day, your skin tries to protect itself by (among other things) making more oil.

Whatever you use, get into a routine and keep it simple and minimal. Changing up your routine is almost always bad in the short term, so when you make a change, stick to it for a week to give it a chance.

Always: Keep it simple.
Always: If it works, it works.

Me: Ivory soap, minimal amount, in the shower. I don't use a wash cloth on my face, and I don't put not-yet-lathered soap directly on my face - I lather it in my hair and use the leftover to wash my face with. (No shampoo, obviously.)
I do enjoy using better soap such as Mitchell's bath soap, but I find it doesn't matter all that much to my skin, so I use the cheap stuff and spend my money on fancy shaving brushes instead. :roll:

I don't wash my face again later in the day unless it actually has visible dirt on it - and generally that means it's time for another shower.

I notice that rinsing is much more easy and effective in the shower (you may respond with a loud duh if you wish); there always seems to be an irritating bit of soap left when washing just my face in the sink. Perhaps I'm just clumsy - but in any case, complete rinsing is important.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Any thing that says the word "exfoliant" on it anywhere, means "This is designed to rip your face off."

Do yourself a favour - if you truly mean to rip your face off, just turn your Futur up to 7 and do it right. :shock: 8)

For those who insist on this stuff, at least don't use it on the areas where you shave. If you need skin removed, then only on your nose and forehead, maybe.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I'd have thought the Ivory bar would be especially drying for the face and lead to more oil production. You're fortunate that you've been able to avoid that. I've found that Green Mountain's liquid veggie-based soap avoids that overcharged dry-oil cycle. It's not perfect, but doesn't perform any worse than other brands I've used, many at much higher cost.

My go-to shampoo is Clubman's Country Club, and that's pretty cheap and simple. But face washes and bath soaps are ever-changing, even after all this time and experimentation. Like you, I've found the more expensive varieties don't necessarily do a better job (other than the original Vinolia bath bar which is now history).
Ron
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rsp1202 wrote:I'd have thought the Ivory bar would be especially drying for the face and lead to more oil production.
That's exactly what I thought. In my case, it's not a real problem, even though it's probably not the best.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

notthesharpest wrote: I notice that rinsing is much more easy and effective in the shower (you may respond with a loud duh if you wish); there always seems to be an irritating bit of soap left when washing just my face in the sink. Perhaps I'm just clumsy - but in any case, complete rinsing is important.
The same for removing shaving lather, I rinse kind of elaborately in hot water and then in cold water (for as long as I can take). It takes alot of rinsing before my face feels like the lather is completely removed.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I do something different with the lather from the shave.

I wipe it off lightly with a washcloth, leaving a tiny bit of invisible residue on the skin. Then I apply one of the Thayer's Witch Hazel Astringents and massage it all into the skin. The lather residue blends with the witch hazel like a balm and leaves my skin feeling nicely soothed and moisturized.

- Murray
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, FWIW, that was my experiance in the ( rather distant ) past. Back then I did use Ivory as my bath soap but it was too much for the face, so I used Dove, or some such. As you know, since this original thread I have tried the Green Mountain unscented tallow based bath soap and found it to be quite good. It's TRULY scentless, and that was a bit disconcerting, but it lathered well and treated my skin decently. I'll continue to use Vinolia as long as I can get it, but it's nice to know that the Green Mountain stuff is available if the need arises. Thanks for the tip on that one. And, for the record, I am still using the Pinaud Country Club shampoo that Doug sent me, twice a week, and no problems....good stuff, great scent. I definately recommend it to anyone looking for a classic, 'manly', good quality shampoo at a sane price.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Gordon, the original Vinolia was about the only scented soap I could stomach over the long haul (I did like the Cusson's, but only in brief bursts). I understand those who prefer to have a little swash in their buckle, though. Lately I've found the Dial Basic and Cashmere Bouquet to be not bad bars; they're both dirt (no pun) cheap and over-the-counter available. But when I can afford to spend the extra buck or two I'll opt for the Tom's of Maine deodorant bar or Green Mountain tallow original. I still plan on giving the new Vinolia another try some time.

And Doug does indeed deserve thanks for bringing the Clubman shampoo to light. Surprisingly good stuff -- unfortunately since it's not available locally the shipping costs make it somewhat less of a bargain.
Ron
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Head & Shoulders shampoo most of the time, though this may change. I buy the store brand, and it now smells like oceanic-fresh bodywash. I don't mind the scent for the length of a shower, but a dandruff shampoo should smell like medicine, damnit!

Bath soap varies, but the options are narrowing: even US Yardley seems to irritate me - I think it's the petrolatum, but I'm not sure. I tend to use Nancy Boy or L'Occitane bath soaps most days.

Witch hazel as toner on T-zone before bed.

That's it.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Not everyone likes the L'Occitane bath soaps and say that they are just regular Marseille air-dryed vegatable soaps, which they are. They work well as a face soap for me. They are drying for some people though, my gf won't touch the stuff.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Oh, yes, the L'Occitane soaps are just Marseilles soaps, most of them. The ones I use are the ones scented like their Vetyver and L'Occitan fragrances for men. These are a different base formula and not as drying.

Also, I forgot to mention that I use the organic line of hard-milled soaps sold under the Whole Foods brand. The cedar-vetiver is particularly nice.

I may give Green Mountain a whirl, too, but I'm trying to simplify some...

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

TBoner wrote:... but I'm trying to simplify some...
lol, yep I understand that impulse. Every couple of years I think I have settled on permanent choices and then make a large order. The vendor usually then supplies a generous quantity of samples, I mean lots of samples.

Alot of the samples (all bar soaps, most in travel sizes) are fringe products but some are good solid names and so we get to try quite a few new things. The samples last longer than the soap I order, I still have samples from 2-years ago.

Between samples and products being discontinued some new choices always have to be made.
liam34

Post by liam34 »

My boyfriend has an oily skin and so he always look for a oil free skin care products. Can anyone suggest something new?
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Just a little update regarding samples.

I received my soap order this week and there were no samples, zero, zip, nada, zilch.

Things have really changed in 2-years. I guess vendors have realized that every gram of samples cost money to ship. Its tough out there. :D