Shower then Shave, or Shave then Shower?

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!

The Last "S" before leaving

I Shave last
80%
I Shower Last
17%
Do I even want to know what the 3rd "S" is?
2%

Total votes: 87

MR.Z

Post by MR.Z »

KAV, I don't know what you do for a living, but you would be a great comedy writer. You have a great wit and always make me smile. But I digress....

I shower and then shave at night. I can take my time and find it enjoyable before retiring to bed. The shave is so close that I do not have to shave the next day. Also, my skin looks better after recovering during the night. I also don't have to worry about my expensive cologne's compatibility with my shaving after shave.

When I shave in the morning after showering, I find that I rush more and don't enjoy my shave. Rushing causes me more irritation. And half the reason to DE shave is to enjoy the entire process.

Mr.Z
yuppiejr

Post by yuppiejr »

I have no specific pattern, probably 50/50 as far as shaving the night before or in the morning unless I simply choose to sleep-in and skip it entirely because I got a little cozy with the William's Rye the evening before.

I do like having a night to let my face recover the first time I shave with a new blade that could lay on an impressive burn. If I'm shaving before work I stick to known-good products since I usually wear a shirt, tie and jacket so going in with a freshly torn up neck is particularly unpleasant.
bairice

Post by bairice »

I like to shave after taking a shower. I tried once before taking a shower, and it didn't seem to be as effective, so my theory is that the hot water makes a big difference in softening the hairs and contributing to a close shave.
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

I realized I shave first, then shower, because I'm lazy.

My bachelor lifestyle means I don't want to wash my only hand towel and washcloth everyday. . .

:D
wiess

Post by wiess »

I shave last - the moisture from the shower allows the shave to go much smoother.
David
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Why are surveys so important? They are so subjective and so personal I have never seen any value in any of them. It's a matter of personal preference. The reason: What works for me, May not work for you. Everything is subjective. Theories are just that: Theories. I prefer to shave prior to showering although common sense would tell you otherwise. It just happens to be my modus operendi. It works well for me. You have to experiment and determine what is the method of obtaining a geat shave for you. What you obtain from us will be our way of doing things. Everything in shaving, and come to think of it Life, is a Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). Try and experiment with different ways of doing things. "FIND OUT WHAT WOKS FOR YOU". Damn the survey. The object of the game is to "ENJOY YOUR SHAVE". I enjoy mine because after years of experimentation, I've found the methodology that makes my shave very enjoyable. Take advice into consideration, but ultimately you will have to decide what works for you.

Good Luck.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Blades

Post by Blades »

What about shaving in the shower? :)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Blades it can be done but I prefer not.
Regards,
Squire
funkthulhu

Post by funkthulhu »

Or shaving with no shower at all?

As far as the polls, Racso, they're for the entertainment of it all. There is no right or wrong, not strive to be the best or the weirdest, just random information. You will notice that the poll opened up quite an interesting discussion on the methods, pros and cons of both the before and after shave. I do enjoy my pre-shower shave and will continue to do so, but I am now better armed in the information of why others do what they do as well as how to improve my own shave. Even if the poll were completely ridiculous, with no bearing on reality what-so-ever, if it stimulated any sort of conversation it would have been more than worth the effort to create it.
mpisarcik

Post by mpisarcik »

Does anyone here prescribe to the cold water shave technique? It sounds painful and or uncomfortable, however it has yielded great results for me.

That being said, I like to shave after a shower 8)
Blades

Post by Blades »

I'm lazy, and only shave once a week(when possible). I shave on sundays before church and I shave in the shower.

Jason
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

funkthulhu wrote:Or shaving with no shower at all?

As far as the polls, Racso, they're for the entertainment of it all. There is no right or wrong, not strive to be the best or the weirdest, just random information. You will notice that the poll opened up quite an interesting discussion on the methods, pros and cons of both the before and after shave. I do enjoy my pre-shower shave and will continue to do so, but I am now better armed in the information of why others do what they do as well as how to improve my own shave. Even if the poll were completely ridiculous, with no bearing on reality what-so-ever, if it stimulated any sort of conversation it would have been more than worth the effort to create it.
I just re-read my post. Does sound sort of harsh. I must have had a bad day or something. Apologies. :oops: And I agree with your comments. They do promote conversation.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Shave while showering :lol:
funkthulhu

Evolution of the shave.

Post by funkthulhu »

Well, after nearly a year on the dole I have a new job and with that change in my daily schedule I find I'm showering and shaving more in the morning before work instead of before going out for a night on the town.

That being said, I've come to a new and greater appreciation of the post shower shave. I've also come to the point where I don't look like I was in a cherry pie-fight when I'm done.

Today was, hands down, the best, smoothest and most enjoyable shave I've had in recent memory. I think I'll be continuing this as my new shave ritual.
"Ph'nglui nglw'nafh Funkthulhu R'lincoln wgah'nagl shavagn"

In his house in Lincoln, Funkthulhu is shaving. . .
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

So the job and shaving situations both improved, good news funk.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

It sounds like you're on track. Enjoy it.

Hearty congratulations on the job. That's great!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

GA Russell wrote:I shave first because when I shower first I don't have enough hot water for the shave.
When I lived in a flat with a small water tank I did the opposite, showering first and warming some water on the stove for the shave.

Regards,
Daniel
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

Always shower first then shave. It just makes my face feel better!
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
Quarterstick

Re: Evolution of the shave.

Post by Quarterstick »

funkthulhu wrote:Well, after nearly a year on the dole I have a new job and with that change in my daily schedule I find I'm showering and shaving more in the morning before work instead of before going out for a night on the town.

That being said, I've come to a new and greater appreciation of the post shower shave. I've also come to the point where I don't look like I was in a cherry pie-fight when I'm done.

Today was, hands down, the best, smoothest and most enjoyable shave I've had in recent memory. I think I'll be continuing this as my new shave ritual.
Excellent on the job! Does my heart good to hear people are able to get back to work. Also glad to hear about the shaves improving.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.