Rooney Finest

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Blue As A Jewel

Rooney Finest

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Can anybody tell me if Rooney has discountinued this range? I searched the forum to see if there was any news - but didn't find anything. I also emailed Classic and they advise they don't expect to have it back in stock.

Vintage blades doesn't have it on their site either... Whutup?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Velomane

Post by Velomane »

I got the impression from numerous posts here and elsewhere that finest is becoming increasingly difficult for Rooney to acquire. Having said that, didn't Dr.P say that Simpson's new two-banded brushes are comparable without the accompanying price tag?

Mike
Blue As A Jewel

Yep, that appears to be the case - I just got confirmation from Classic that Rooney is no longer producing them...
- Ravi -

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think they actually stopped a long time ago but didn't announce it loudly.
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:I think they actually stopped a long time ago but didn't announce it loudly.
...or with a whimper even!
- Ravi -

Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Velomane wrote: Simpson's new two-banded brushes are comparable without the accompanying price tag?

Mike
What? I have to add another brush to the stable? :wink:
Another temptation now.............. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ravi, As you know, that sort of bristle has always been in short supply. Plisson has gone to three banded bristle for the HMWs in sizes #12 and smaller, presumably for the same reason.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

bernards66 wrote:Ravi, As you know, that sort of bristle has always been in short supply. Plisson has gone to three banded bristle for the HMWs in sizes #12 and smaller, presumably for the same reason.
Regards,
Gordon
Looks like DrP drained the market of all 2 band hair with his collection. :lol: :lol: :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

A few months ago, a friend and I got lucky and we both picked up a Rooney's Emillion in finest. This is the original fan shaped model, not the light bulb model currently offered. The dealer didn't even know they had it in stock! My friend found it completely by accident as he was searching for an altogether different model brush. This was a lucky find for both of us and it was the end of the Finest Rooney's..... :cry:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Blue As A Jewel

desertbadger wrote:A few months ago, a friend and I got lucky and we both picked up a Rooney's Emillion in finest. This is the original fan shaped model, not the light bulb model currently offered. The dealer didn't even know they had it in stock! My friend found it completely by accident as he was searching for an altogether different model brush. This was a lucky find for both of us and it was the end of the Finest Rooney's..... :cry:

Regards,
David
Between you and the "Assistant Dean of SMFU"... you're not making my predicament any easier! My hope is that they will find more of those dang fine badgers soon! :lol:
- Ravi -

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

There must be somebody around who doesn't really like the one he has and would trade...

I bought my "best brush ever" from Richard when it didn't quite suit him. He was wrong. That brush is better than Richard himself. :lol:
(at least for the purpose of spreading lather on one's face)
Blue As A Jewel

notthesharpest wrote:There must be somebody around who doesn't really like the one he has and would trade...

I bought my "best brush ever" from Richard when it didn't quite suit him. He was wrong. That brush is better than Richard himself. :lol:
...I dunno - might be fun to use Richard in that capacity... he's gotta be good for something! :lol:
- Ravi -

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:There must be somebody around who doesn't really like the one he has and would trade...

I want that brush back btw. Which one was it again?

FWIW, I've been using boar brushes now (mostly the Semogue 2009) for longer than any other badger brush I've owned if that says anything. Damn things just agree with me.
Richard
Blue As A Jewel

rustyblade wrote:

FWIW, I've been using boar brushes now (mostly the Semogue 2009) for longer than any other badger brush I've owned if that says anything. Damn things just agree with me.
In all seriousness, I'm curious in what way the boar brush works better for you over the "best brush ever"? I've been toying with the notion of boar, but I so love my badgers!
- Ravi -

Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

rustyblade wrote:

Dibs on your 3/1 Finest used in the infamous Feather ACD-N shave video!

Or is that one already gone?
Jason

Post by notthesharpest »

rustyblade wrote:

A style 1 size 2 Finest with the imitation horn handle. The loft is a bit crooked, and after I had it for more than a year it shed quite a bit, but man what a brush.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote:

A style 1 size 2 Finest with the imitation horn handle. The loft is a bit crooked, and after I had it for more than a year it shed quite a bit, but man what a brush.
That must be the olde apothecary brush?
Richard
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
desertbadger wrote:A few months ago, a friend and I got lucky and we both picked up a Rooney's Emillion in finest. This is the original fan shaped model, not the light bulb model currently offered. The dealer didn't even know they had it in stock! My friend found it completely by accident as he was searching for an altogether different model brush. This was a lucky find for both of us and it was the end of the Finest Rooney's..... :cry:

Regards,
David
Between you and the "Assistant Dean of SMFU"... you're not making my predicament any easier! My hope is that they will find more of those dang fine badgers soon! :lol:
Several months ago, I had a talk with Danielle and her staff at Classic Shaving (I don't live too far from them) and the feeling then was that Rooney's Finest was going the way of the dinosaur. They simply were not getting any in and the orders for them went unfilled. Same thing with Jim at Vintage Blades and those two retailers are the only ones in the US. So, the hand writing was on the wall. Both retailers said the same thing; "there will not be anymore made".
Sorry, Ravi, but the only was to obtain one now is get really lucky like my friend and I did or find someone that is willing to part with one. Most unfortunate..... :cry:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:
In all seriousness, I'm curious in what way the boar brush works better for you over the "best brush ever"? I've been toying with the notion of boar, but I so love my badgers!
They have the holy grail of most serious badger aficionados drool over and pay hundreds for (appropriate that this thread is entitled "Rooney Finest"), stiff shafts and soft tips. The only drawback is less water holding capability but that is offset by the larger size and taller loft of most the the 'pro' model boars which I prefer. This great size still retains precision without the 'mop flop' that exists in all super badger brushes, except the stupidly dense ones in which case make rotten brushes for actually shaving because you can't get the lather out of them. A boar brush will release lather onto your face as it should. The only downside is that they lack serious snob factor.
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

rustyblade wrote:
notthesharpest wrote:
rustyblade wrote: I want that brush back btw. Which one was it again?
That must be the olde apothecary brush?
No - it's a labelled Rooney.