brushless creams?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
robphelan

brushless creams?

Post by robphelan »

hey guys!

I've been using a dual edge razor for a couple of years now and have been preaching the gospel to everyone I know. I will never go back to cartridges again.

I've mainly used Origins' products - specifically Blade Runner as my shave cream. They used to sell it in tubs, which was great for my big hands. Now, the only sell it in tubes.. I hate feeling like I can't get all the product out.

When I feel 'cheap', I'll buy something like Burt's Bees shave cream.. or similar, that runs about $8/tube.

Anyway, I'd really like to try a nice lavender or sandalwood scented cream, however, I don't use a brush. I shave about 6 times a week, usually in the shower - because with 2 kids, I don't have a lot of time in the morning to spend grooming.

Is there a product that I can use by applying directly by hand instead of having to use a brush? It seems like all the products discussed really need a brush, but I just don't normally have the time.

I think, though, that I would like to start a Sunday ritual of a locking the bathroom door, turning up NPR and having nice post-shower shave with a brush...

thanks a lot for your help.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I think you're overestimating the time a brush takes. When you shave without a brush, you still have to rub the cream in with your hands, then rinse your hands...

But yes there are other brushless creams, or creams that can be used brushless. Cremo Cream's name keeps popping up. I know there are others but I'll let the people who actually use them take this thread further.
wiess

Post by wiess »

I have tried numerous creams without a brush - Proraso, The Real Shave Co., Nivea, and Cremo Cream. I have found that Cremo Cream is the best brushless cream and I use it almost daily at the gym. When at home and have more time and space it is Proraso and a brush for me.
David
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welvome to the forum Rob! I too would recommend using a brush. Brushless stuff just doesn't do it for me. However, I can appreciate that if you shave in the shower you would want to forego the brush. If you want to stay brushless I'd say try the Cremo, or the Proraso foam.
Regards,
Andy
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

+1 on the Cremo Cream based on efficacy... scent, not so much...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
robphelan

Post by robphelan »

thanks for the help... i'll look into Cremo... hopefully they have a lavender or sandalwood to try.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

robphelan wrote:thanks for the help... i'll look into Cremo... hopefully they have a lavender or sandalwood to try.
They have just one scent and it's sort of piña colada. Not like good shaving cream and kind of strange, in other words. But apparently it works...
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Can hardly go wrong with a barber shop classic like Lucky Tiger Molle - get a big tub for not much money - slap on however much you need and shave. Great stuff!

http://www.getluckytiger.com/products/M ... Cream.html

Search around for the best price and shipping. They also make some great after shave creams that are well priced as well.
Good shaving,

Gary
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

TOBS lavender is by far my favorite cream. I'm sure it can be used without a brush, as could most creams. But IMO, it would seem like a waste.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Nearly any cream CAN be used without a brush. But with those intended for a brush, a lot would indeed be wasted - the action of the wet brush expands a tiny amount of cream into a lot of lather.

If you get a plastic-handled brush you can take it into the shower with no problems (as long as you have a ledge in there to put it on). Just make sure you let it dry on an open shelf outside the shower afterwards.
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Musgo Real...not lavender or sandalwood, but a superb smelling and performing cream that can be used with a brush or without.
~Scott
drumana

Post by drumana »

Kiehl's brushless shave cream is pretty good. The only drawback is that it can gunk up a razor pretty easily. But it provides for good shaves - nice and slick and protective. Aside from that, Burt's Bees has a nice brushless cream in their Men's line.
-Andrew-
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Kiss My Face (line of "natural"/organic cosmetics) has a lavander/shea and is a nice cream to use with or without a brush. Fairly easy to find (check the natural-food stores near you) and not expensive.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
DEF

Post by DEF »

Another recommendation for Kiss My Face and Musgo Real. Musgo is my preferred travel cream, since it works great brushless and comes in a durable metal tube with a screw cap.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just posted a reccomendation on a thread in the "General" forum for the brushless cream that gave me the best brushless shaves. It was alba botanicals "aloe-mint" version. I got it in a tube at Drugstore.com and it is one that vanishes when rubbed into skin. Still works, but is best used with "Shave Secret" shaving oil that I get at Walmart. Rub in the oil first, then the brushless. Great protection and lubrication.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
merkri

Post by merkri »

I'm a big fan of not using a brush. Just about any cream can be used successfully without a brush.

Just to plug my favorite--the gel from The Soap Opera in Iowa City:

http://www.soapoperaiowacity.com/index.html

It can be custom scented, so that's not too much of an issue. It's brushless and something I like a lot for a simple shave.

I enjoy a brush with the right soap, but I see it more as a means to expand the soaps I can enjoy easily rather than something I enjoy in itself (although I do like restoring them).
Bob

Post by Bob »

You could give this a go, Rob, and see if you like it:

http://www.caswellmassey.com/sandalwood ... tmentId=76

It's a strong sandalwood fragrance, and you might enjoy it. C-M says you can use a brush with it, but don't you dare. You'll ruin your brush if you do.

Now I'm going to hide before Gordon pops in and verbally abuses me.
--Bob--
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I have tried a few brushless creams over the years and found my favorite to be Musgo Real. I used it almost daily for a long period of time due to early working hours and was satisfied with the performance. Plus, I enjoy form as much as I do function and I think the tube is pretty cool.
--Greg
hifigeezer

Post by hifigeezer »

I haven't tried too many brands but got good results with Nancy Boy; close and not irritating, only a modest amount is needed, fragrance is pleasant but not too strong.