"Unscented" products for benefit of pregnant wife

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
murchmb

"Unscented" products for benefit of pregnant wife

Post by murchmb »

The title pretty much sums it up. My wife is pregnant and can't stand the smell of my usual creams, soaps, and balms. I see that T&H has an unscented soap, balm, and cream. My understanding is that unscented in the case of the soap and cream is really more of a subtle or light scenting. What about the AS balm?

Other than T&H, any advice or opinions on what my options are?
CRR

Post by CRR »

Palmolive Shave Cream is supposed to be uncented, I think everything has some sort of scent to it. The palmolive lathers well and doesn't produce any kind of noticable scent that I can detect and it's very inexpensive.
Chris.

Steady Boy, Steady!
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

They add fragrance to just about everything, including most products that are marked "unscented" on the package. I don't know which products are truly scent-free.

Has she had to stop using soap on herself in the shower/bath? Williams soap smells like "just soap" to me. Your wife may disagree.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Just have Charles at QED whip up some pickle and ice cream shaving cream...should do the trick!

Oh, congrats on the awaited arrival, can't help with the unscented items.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Sue at St. Charles Shave sells an unscented version of her very good quality soap.
Richard
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

oh my God I thought I was the only one with this issue
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I've never used any St. Charles products, but I second rustyblade's idea. If you go to a small soap maker, then they can give you some truly unscented products. The Classic Shaving soap is also made unscented (as is the QED soap). Everything of course has a smell to it.

I don't use creams, so unfortunately I can't give you any advice there, sorry :(.

As far as AS balms, I like pure nut oils in winter. Coconut is probably the cheapest, and Kukui Nut oil is the most penetrating I've tried yet (but I haven't tried them all!). Avocado oil is the heavyset. I use a paper towel to blot of any excess.

Alovera gets high recommendations by some people, but I dislike the stuff. However, it's cheep and available enough to be worth a shot, and you can always put it on sunburn and sores if it doesn't work out.

You might also want to check out Cetaphil and Corn Huskers lotion (which is like coral skin food w/o the coral smell). I haven't tried Cetaphil in a while, but Corn Huskers lotion does have a light scent.

--Vincent
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For me, it makes a big diffeence if the scents are synthetic or not. A lot of the synthetics smell "wrong" and annoying to me. People with "chemical sensitivities" often react to synthetics a lot and only a little or not at all to scents from natural sources.

But it sounds more like your wife is sensitive due to pregnancy, and it may go away later.
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

The AOS unscented line is very good - no fragrance or scent.
Luckily, for me, my pregnant wife has not yet put the stop to my shaving choices.
Sean
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Beware, TS, She will!

I've been using Trumper sandalwood soap..it smells great but it's not too potent...no complaints as of yet....
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Murchmb, you're right: many so-called "unscented" products have a masking scent that can still be considerable. The T&H aftershave balm is hardly unscented in any practical sense; it has a stronger scent than many scented balms I've tried. Unless youre wife just happens to take a liking to its particular scent, it probably won't work for you. I agree with TSMAN about Art of Shaving: their unscented shaving cream, aftershave balm and aftershave gel are all fragrance free, and are as inobtrusive as you will find in any product, high-end or otherwise. Each of these three products has a faint smell, due to the ingredients themselves, but that is inescapable; you will never find any product that doesn't have some sort of smell. However, AOS puts nothing of any aromatic value in any of these three products. The same cannot be said for their unscented pre-shave oil, which contains essential oils of clove and black pepper, and has a definite smell, even though it contains no fragrance/perfume oils. Their unscented shaving soap is a judgement call. It actually does have the faintest of scents from some kind of essential oil, but you wouldn't know it unless you were trying to find it. For all intents and purposes it is fragrance free, but not in actuality. Whether it would trip your wife's scent radar is a difficult call. It is still probably your best bet for a truly unscented shaving soap, though, as it is still inobtrusive and basically unnoticeable. That remains Art of Shaving's strength, which T&H has tried to match a bit with their new line. From what I understand, though, Art of Shaving remains one of the few truly scent-free options available in higher end men's toiletries.

Nathan
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I may go with Will G's soap and balm off of eBay. They have gotten good reviews and are cheap. If that doesn't work, I may go with the T&H or AOS products. Or maybe I'll just grow a beard for the next 6 months :)