Is this the end of the SE blade?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Is this the end of the SE blade?

Post by brothers »

I picked up this piece of informationwhile browsing. It seems Walmart may have killed ASR?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Now I feel bad. This is one and the same company I just harranged for spamming me :oops:
Vov clamatis in deserto, WoeMart is the gorilla in the dining room some mistake for the pastor come to friday night supper.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Could this be the end of Red pack Personna and Crystal DE blades too? :(
Jarmo
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

We must boycott WalMart. I have entered one only once in my life (at my wife's behest) and lived to regret it. Never again. Any patients requesting a refill by phone at a WalMart pharmacy will be told why I cannot call them to authorise the refills.

Chris
Market forces at work.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Well, Walfart strikes again, what a crock of...... :bull Frankly, I don't use their SE Injector blades but some on the forum here do, as well as their SE blades for the Gem, etc. If you happen to be one of them, I guess it's time to back up the truck and start loading.
It's really a sad thing given how long they've been in operation. Glad I have the nice stash of the 74's; now that is a blade! It shows just how good ASR once was! Pity.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

ASR stopped selling injectors blades for consumer use a while back. Obviously, it was a sign of the times...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

That's weird that Walmart dropped them, since they're the largest American source of discount-priced razors and blades, and there's no real Chinese competitor. I wonder what Walmart is selling besides Gillette and Schick. Bic, Dorco and Supermax?

When I searched their website, and ignoring the electrics, I found only razors from Gillette, Schick, and Bic, and still a lot of Personna products. (And a bunch of Billy Joe Shaver recordings, and a tool to shave your pool cue tips.)
Last edited by Pauldog on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Pauldog wrote:That's weird that Walmart dropped them, since they're the largest American source of discount-priced razors and blades, and there's no real Chinese competitor. I wonder what Walmart is selling besides Gillette and Schick. Bic, Dorco and Supermax?
I'm sure that to them if they have Gillette and Schick then the rest doesn't matter. (Probably they'd be even happier if Schick went bust too.)
merkri

Post by merkri »

I hope they can pull out of it somehow, or that the company stays intact in some way. I'd be in pain if Personna DE blades weren't available anymore--then I'd have to find a different blade to use (any suggestions for blades that are roughly similar?).
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

merkri wrote:I hope they can pull out of it somehow, or that the company stays intact in some way. I'd be in pain if Personna DE blades weren't available anymore--then I'd have to find a different blade to use (any suggestions for blades that are roughly similar?).
If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to give Derby a whirl.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Well, I've always thought those SE users were a little strange in some way. There is a reason they never took off, same with injectors.
Richard
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Pauldog wrote:That's weird that Walmart dropped them, since they're the largest American source of discount-priced razors and blades, and there's no real Chinese competitor.
Eliminating low-profit niche items altogether makes less bookkeeping, and more shelf space for the lowest common denominator.

Also, discount razors take away sales from Gillette & Schick.

If your customers want razors, making them all buy the same one is far easier and potentially far more profitable.
jbc

Post by jbc »

I believe that Treet Corp makes single edge blades as well.
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

When they came for the single blade users I remained silent because I wasn't a single blade user.
When they came for the paraben soaps I remained silent becasue I wasn't a paraben user.
When they came for the leather strops I remained silent because I wasn't a strop user.
Then they came for me,and I was all alone.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Actually, this helped solve a little mystery for me...

A month or so ago, in one of my local Walmarts, a woman was complaining that they had gotten rid of "the black products," or, rather, the bump fighter line. Bump fighter, by the way, is an ASR line. This led to a discussion between us on the use of a double edge razor...

Shame, bump fighters make pretty good travel razors, and very tame head shavers...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
John N.

Post by John N. »

jbc wrote:I believe that Treet Corp makes single edge blades as well.
Treet SE blades are made by ASR I believe.
John N.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Treet blades made in the USA are from ASR, but Treet in Pakistan may be a different company with the name licensed from ASR.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just buy as much as whe can as soon as we can guys, that's our only choice.
Regards,
Squire
merkri

Post by merkri »

desertbadger wrote:
If you haven't tried it yet, you might want to give Derby a whirl.

Regards,
David
Thanks. I'll have to try Derby.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Just came from Home Depot this evening; my pruchase was some razor blades for my hobby knife, the Stanley version of the Exacto knife. The blades were Personna, which of course, is ASR. I took all the blades they had on the self, and while I was checking out, the girl at the register made a remark that I was "stocking up". I said "yes, I sure am".

Regards,
David
Regards,
David