Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jbc

Creams

Post by jbc »

Why do you preferr to shave with creams since a soap last much longer?
JBC
Nuts about wet shaving
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I have a few things that I do enjoy and keep a bit of a rotation of soaps, creams and a brushless cream. While I always look to keep my rotation in check things always seem to creep in from time to time.

I do enjoy variety and only have one soap that is backed up with inventory so to speak.

While everyone might eventually develop a preference for either a soap, cream or other I can fairly say that today I sit on the fence and enjoy both.
Good shaving,

Gary
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

1) Variety is the spice of life.
2) Creams generally have a stronger fragrance.
3) Creams generally have more cushion than soaps.
4) For folks getting into this gig, creams are generally a little easier to lather in that they are more forgiving of water ratio issues.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Thalay Sagar wrote:1) Variety is the spice of life.
4) For folks getting into this gig, creams are generally a little easier to lather in that they are more forgiving of water ratio issues.
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Disagree (depends how you load the brush and make the lather. See # 4))
4) Agree
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I actually prefer soaps. I also think soaps are easier to lather, but that's probably just because I'm used to them. I think that's true for everybody - what you're used to can have a very big impact on what you like.

If you want a strong scent, definitely go for a cream; hard soaps can't hold as much scent since their formula would break down. (There are strongly-scented hard soaps, but not many and not as strong as creams.)

Try both and see what you like.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I started with creams primarily for the reasons stated above, I then switched to soaps because I got a closer cut from them. I'm now back to creams because I have so many of them and I'm trying to use them up and focus on a core group that I really enjoy (Salter's, Trumper's, Fitjar, Castle Forbes). I know it sucks to be me...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i like using soaps but i do use creams too
i use creams mostly when im away from home and i also use creams at home if im in a hurry

for me soaps are more personal and i can alter the lather more than with creams

my son feels the opposite from me..he just uses creams only

marc
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I started of with cream because it was considered better for sensitive skin and had stronger scents, but soaps are more fun!
Last edited by Flash G on Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

I enjoy both, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd go with creams. Much nicer ones available, such as Castle Forbes Lavender. I could live in that tub.
~Scott
casecracker

Post by casecracker »

I shave with creams, sticks and soaps. I have no preference. I just like shaving. I like practicing and lathering them all differently. I have different brands that I lather in different ways (for example, MWF I lather in a bowl and Col. Conk I lather on my face).

I don't think I could say creams are better than soaps, or vice versa. It's all part of the game for me and I enjoy shaving with all the various mediums.
"Now I'm not endorsing it, but you're going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers." - Mantic
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I like both and don't really prefer one over the other. It's just the variety that both offer.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

I generally prefer soaps, but sometimes it's nice to change pace and get the variety from the creams. They do seem more luxurious some times.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

a-cut-above wrote:
1) Agree
2) Agree
3) Disagree (depends how you load the brush and make the lather. See # 4))
4) Agree
Dave, I probably should have been clearer that I was painting with a broad badger brush and your point is well taken. My answer was given in the sense of why one would prefer creams.

Obviously, there is- at least in my estimation- a slightly more developed level of skill in lathering a soap- particularly a hard, traditional English triple-milled soap- than is required for a cream. Further, there are soaps that offer cushioning that rivals the best creams; for example, Tabac, Harris and other (sadly expired) tallow based English soaps. But for most soaps, I find that they don't offer quite the same level of cushioning (and I am pretty good at loading a brush). I would cite as an example a comparison of T&H's soap and creams. And, of course, with quality products these differences are often small, subject to many variables and ultimately quite subjective. Nor is this a bad thing. I find that many soaps can provide as comfortable a shave; actually I find that I get an even closer shave with the soaps than with creams. In fact, I am considering going over to a predominantly soap rotation (except for maybe the winter).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
SiR-ed8

Re: Creams

Post by SiR-ed8 »

jbc wrote:Why do you preferr to shave with creams since a soap last much longer?
Perhaps cheaper in price too depending on maker. I'm a soap guy. I use cream in general when I'm in hurry. I like ceams though because it makes rotation much more interesting.
druphus

Post by druphus »

If you have to ask why at this stage, creams just might not be your cup of tea.
Regards,
Andy
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Pretty much what Chris said above. On the whole, I get a little bit nicer lather from the best creams. Not necessarily more effective, mind you, but 'nicer'. I've used either for years.
Regards,
Gordon
malocchio

glide

Post by malocchio »

....................I agree with all of these,plus creams have more moisture and contain more lubricant....think of soap as 50 weight and creams as 5-20 weight,,,more glide !!
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Chris' point that it takes "...a slightly more developed level of skill in lathering a soap- particularly a hard, traditional English triple-milled soap- than is required for a cream..." seems true most of the time, especially for beginners or guys who aren't "into" soaps. There may be more variety (variability?) in the kind of lather a soap will make so I think that explains some of the ease and consisitency we see with creams. The ease of getting a "perfect" lather from soaps is more sensitive to the brush we choose as well which gets back to Chris' point about skill. Despite the love of Trumper's by some, the lather I get is a step below that from DRH, Tabac, IK, and MWF. I will use up my GFT's but not restock. With respect to ease and consistency, one can get pretty darn good lather from $3.00 tubes of Arko as from the big boys. I also agree with Chris that with selected and older tallow soaps, the cushion equals the creams.

Gordon, selected soaps give me as nice a lather as creams, but not across all brands. Creams are "easier".

About the scents: wouldn't you guys agree that the scents are less intense in the milled soaps with specific scents: almond, sandalwood, rose, etc. vs. both cologne-based scents and glyecerin soaps? Compare the intensity of scent in DRH Almond of GFT Sandalwood to Tabac, Floris JF, or Floris Elite hard soaps. The latter three can be used as air freshener! The glycerin soaps can have highly intense scents like those from Charles at qed and some of the artisan makers. I am not sure it's just a matter of the soap breaking down as "nts" said. Maybe single scent EO'S and FO's are expensive, or the manufacturer of the expensive milled soap wants to maintain an air of gentility by not making a scent bomb. Any scent experts
who could expand on this out there?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

I got turned onto top shelf creams when, I beleive it was Gordon, suggested that I give the Coates shaving creams a try. We have to keep in mind that I am talking about their older original formulation which in my mind was the the very pinnacle of creams.

I have been using creams since that point about 80% of the time, I do like mix it up a bit with different soaps but if a gun were held to my head I'd toss the pucks in favor of the pots.

I still have about a 1/4 pot of the old Coates Limes that I ration out on a limited basis. If anyone has a pot of the old Coates Tea Tree please let me know as that was the very best I have ever used and sadly my last shave with it was about a year ago.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

jvan wrote:I got turned onto top shelf creams when, I beleive it was Gordon, suggested that I give the Coates shaving creams a try. We have to keep in mind that I am talking about their older original formulation which in my mind was the the very pinnacle of creams.

I have been using creams since that point about 80% of the time, I do like mix it up a bit with different soaps but if a gun were held to my head I'd toss the pucks in favor of the pots.

I still have about a 1/4 pot of the old Coates Limes that I ration out on a limited basis. If anyone has a pot of the old Coates Tea Tree please let me know as that was the very best I have ever used and sadly my last shave with it was about a year ago.
I have an almost full pot of the old Coates Tea Tree... just letting you know :wink:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.