Gramps

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
grampsdaughter

Post by grampsdaughter »

We are overwhelmed with all the kind and loving words being written about my Dad.

You definitely have our permission to keep his name and stories alive on SMF. We think it is very special that so many of you are acknowledging him.

I have been sharing your posts with my Mom and Sister.

Thank you for taking the time to write. We will check back often.
DEF

Post by DEF »

My sympathies go to you and your family. Thanks very much for thinking to let us know when you have so many other things on your mind. Gramps was a true gentleman and scholar.

Doug
tonyespo
The Goldfather

His handwriting

Post by tonyespo »

I remember when my Father died Gramps wrote me a card and letter. I was amazed how beautiful his hand writing was. He was always a gentleman and surely an asset to SMF. Rest in peace Gramps. Gone but never forgotten.
Tony Espo ( Lover of Knize )
Go for the GOLD.

Through my will power I dare to do what I want.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I had considerable correspondence with your father at one point, and like Tony, I was struck by how superb his penmanship was....very rare in this day and age. I clearly remember when Larry joined the earlier shave forum ( before SMF was born ) and what a 'character' he was, and what a positive addition to our little community here. One of a kind and a great gent. You probably know that he posted us moderators on our private forum to say his goodbyes himself on June 20. A true gentleman to the end. My condolences to the family.
Regards,
Gordon
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

As Gordon mentioned, Larry (Gramps) wrote us a letter in the Mod Forum that was something short of astounding. He faced his demise with a strength and positive attitude that very few of us could ever aspire to possess. I can safely say that we were all taken aback with his courage.

Would it be possible to scan a bit of Gramps' handwriting for the gents to see? His handwriting (as usual with Gramps) was legendary.

Nice to see Tony jump in here and give some comments.

Bill
Don't think......shave.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Here's the address on an envelope:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Re. handwriting: It appears that Larry may have learned with (or at least spent considerable time with) flexible-nib pens. Even when he was using a ballpoint, you can see the subtle pressure variations and the flourishes of the type expected in the copperplate style. He obviously learned his handwriting carefully and well, and probably there are stories about that too. :D
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

My condolences to the family. Gramps was more prolific when I first joined and I enjoyed every post he made. There are not too many people that can write like he did as evidenced by the post above, truly amazing.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

One of the few people in the world who truly gave more than he received. He shared his knowledge and himself with grace and dignity, and will be missed here and I am sure in many place.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
SiR-ed8

Post by SiR-ed8 »

Krista-Mae,

It was before my time and sorry to have missed out. Passing indeed is regrettable but more important to remember is the bountiful cherished memories you created with your Dad and he with you and family. May your family keep him alive in your kind hearts with fondness of memories-they are forever my friend. Body is ephemeral but soul lives on. Will keep you and family in prayers.

Godspeed my friend,

Ivan
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Krista-Mae,

I offer my deepest sympathies to you and your family, but also my sincere thanks for informing us.

I never met your dad in person, but the attitude he demonstrated on this forum was that of a true gentleman, and I always considered him a friend.

I pray that God will give you peace during this time of heartache.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

Very sad news.

Rest in Peace, Gramps a "Canadian Badass" from a generation that we owe so much respect.

Charlotte and Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
paddy

Post by paddy »

gramps was always one of my favourite posters and he will be missed by everyone here at SMF. very sorry for your loss.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

All of what has been said about Gramps is true and he will be missed. I guess we develop on-line personnas, much like we were being met in public. Gramps was caring, and wam and wow, what penmenship. Krista-Mae, if ever we could have had a group convention in person, Gramps is one of those that would never have had to worry about not having someone to talk to. Men would have gravitated toward him and in my mind's eye, I can see him holding court with quite a few, and every one enjoying themselves. That is what makes our little community like a second home, and that is why he will be missed.

Sam
Big Ren
The Toronto Kid

Post by Big Ren »

I remember when Gramps was a fixture on the forum in the early days. When I first encountered him, I remained convinced he was using a picture of the character actor, Wilfred Brimley, as an avatar. Older members chuckled at this, because many of them had also made the same mistake. I was only convinced by Gramps himself that the picture in his avatar was, indeed, of him, taken at his daughter's wedding.

I also remember with fondness when another one of our favourite posters, Ravi, asked for suggestions on a cologne to wear on his first date in 20 years. While many suggested the usual high end toiletries, Gramps chimed in to say that he would choose Old Spice, because to him it was like an "old friend".

I'm glad to have known Gramps here and in the mod forum. He was clearly well-liked by all of us and he will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Larry, old friend.

Ren
"What I find ironic is the fact that we can talk wireless to a man on the moon but we can't talk to someone twenty feet away over a hard-wired intercom at a drive-thru!" - Pottydoctor
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Krista-Mae, please allow me to extend my condolences as well. I wasn't on SMF during your grandfather's most prolific posting time, but he posted now and then and it was always an occasion when he did. As another poster mentioned, your grandfather is irreplaceable, both in your hearts and minds and in the hearts and minds of this virtual community.

Peace to you and your family.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I just read this. You and your family have my deepest condolences.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Larry reached out to me when I was preparing for my oldest daughter's wedding. While he may have pushed the "Badass" reputation a bit, maybe relished in it, he was a kind and gentle man. As I recall, what he shared with me was the song that he and his daughter danced to at her wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5AIpz3BE5U

While I'll miss his posts and occasional email, Larry's reputation, character and spirit will always reside with me.

Larry, you have touched more people than you will ever know. May each of us pay it back 1000 fold.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Krista-Mae my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your entire family. I go back away on these forums with your dad and have always enjoyed his postings and musings, he will be sorely missed.

His picture will always hang on the wall of the "Bat Cave" (the mods forum).
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
brothers

Post by brothers »

Krista-Mae, I'm another one who didn't discover this forum until recently. Your father was obviously the kind of man who loves people, and when we encounter someone like Gramps, we know someone cares about us, and it makes us try to be more kind to others, as a result. It is plain to see that Larry was a "good guy"and truly a valued member of this group.

As a grandfather myself, I understood immediately when I saw the name he called himself "Gramps", and his photo, that there are one or more well-loved grandchild or children who will always have fond memories of the good times spent with him, and the lessons learned from him. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Gary
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444