Favorite Actors From Hollywood's Golden Era

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Chaps

Favorite Actors From Hollywood's Golden Era

Post by Chaps »

As you may or may not know, today is the 7th anniversary of the passing of Bob Hope. No one today comes even close to this great funny man. I was wondering who are your favorite actors/actresses from Hollywood's Golden Era?

Mine are:

Humphrey Bogart
Cary Grant
John Wayne
Katherine Hepburn
Grace Kelley
Jimmy Stewart
Spencer Tracy
Bing Crosby
William Powell
Myrna Loy
Robert Mitchum
Bob Hope
Errol Flynn
Tony Curtis
Dean Martin
Kirk Douglas
Danny Kaye
Ingrid Bergman
Doris Day
Jack Carson
Dennis Morgan
Barbara Stanwyck

Danny
Last edited by Chaps on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Just noticed I put this thread in "General" forum. Bill, if you need to move it to "Gentleman's Parlor" I understand. Don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

not in any particular order: cagney, bogart, gabel, lawrence harvey, john garfield, montgomery cliff, charles boyer, carey grant, kirk douglas, john wayne, william holden, burt lancaster,yul brenner, gary cooper, e.g. robinson, spencer tracy, claude raines. is that enough? favorite females: first and foremost, greta garbo, bettie davis, joan crawford, lana turner,rita hayworth,barbara stanwick,virginia mayo, ingrid bergman, hedi lamar
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have a very short list -- Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed, Spencer Tracey (only in some of his movies, however), Katherine Hepburn, and Audry Hepburn - who only just qualifies in the time-line.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Note my avatar.

Somehow, Robert Mitchum just needs to elbow his way onto that top 10 list, a most underrated and underappreciated actor.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

oh, and , ronald coleman and greer garson. probably the two best speaking voices hollywood ever produced
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
malocchio

great era

Post by malocchio »

chaney,lugosi,karloff,bowery boys,three stooges,clara bow,wc fields,laurel and hardy,harold lloyd,buster keaton,our gang....mae west,marx brothers,erich von stroheim !!!
desertbadger

Re: Favorite Actors From Hollywood's Golden Era

Post by desertbadger »

Chaps wrote:As you may or may not know, today is the 7th anniversary of the passing of Bob Hope. No one today comes even close to this great funny man. I was wondering who are your top 10 favorite actors/actresses from Hollywood's Golden Era?

Mine are:

1. Humphrey Bogart
2. Cary Grant
3. John Wayne
4. Katherine Hepburn
5. Grace Kelley
6. Jimmy Stewart
7. Spencer Tracy
8. Bing Crosby
9. William Powell
10. Myrna Loy

Danny
I wouldn't change your list except to put John Wayne as No.1
Here's some others that come to mind.
Ava Gardner
Clark Gable
W.C. Fields
Laurel and Hardy
William Boyd AKA Hopalong Cassidy beause of the values he stood for both on and off camera.
Rita Hayworth
Betty Davis...I know where her former home is in Laguna Beach; nice place!
Robert Montgomery
Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney in their younger years.
Errol Flynn
Basil Rathbone
Oliva DeHaviland
Gene Kelly
Gene Autry....made a lot a films about 4 miles from where I live.
Walter Brennan
Robert Taylor
Ward Bond
Douglas Faibanks Sr. & Jr.

There's a lot more but I'll stop for now.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

where they the kirk/michael douglas of the golden era?

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
paddy

Post by paddy »

ronald regan :P
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

What lists!!!! Gentlemen, just reading those names brings back wonderful memories. I know...trying to limit to just 10 is almost impossible.

Danny
Last edited by Chaps on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Chaps

Re: Favorite Actors From Hollywood's Golden Era

Post by Chaps »

desertbadger wrote:
Chaps wrote:As you may or may not know, today is the 7th anniversary of the passing of Bob Hope. No one today comes even close to this great funny man. I was wondering who are your top 10 favorite actors/actresses from Hollywood's Golden Era?

Mine are:

1. Humphrey Bogart
2. Cary Grant
3. John Wayne
4. Katherine Hepburn
5. Grace Kelley
6. Jimmy Stewart
7. Spencer Tracy
8. Bing Crosby
9. William Powell
10. Myrna Loy

Danny
I wouldn't change your list except to put John Wayne as No.1

Regards,
David
I really struggled on the top three. The Duke is awesome. My favorite Wayne movie is "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon".

Danny
Danny

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Note my avatar.

Somehow, Robert Mitchum just needs to elbow his way onto that top 10 list, a most underrated and underappreciated actor.
Tony, I agree, Mitchum is underappreciated. He does need to be on there. He always reminded me of my Dad...tougher than a nickel steak. I probably should have broken the list into Comedy and Dramatic actors. I just noticed I didn't even put Bob Hope on there and he is the reason I started the thread. Forget the top 10...there are just too many I love!

Danny

PS,
I love your avatar...Nick and Nora! Myrna Loy was just hubba hubba...what can I say:whistle:
Danny

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

John Dehner
Joseph Cotten
Myrna Loy
Doris Day
Orson Welles
Trevor Howard
Terry-Thomas
Wilfred Hyde-White
Alec Guinness
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

In no particular order of preference, limit or gender...

Cary Grant
David Niven
Peter Sellers
Paul Newman
Sophia Loren
Fred Astaire
Sid James
James Stewart
Grace Kelley
Sidney Poitier
Bob Hope/Bing Crosby
Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin
Alec Guinness
Spencer Tracy
Michael Caine
Audrey Hepburn
Mickey Rooney
Anthony Quinn
Oliver Reed
Peter O'Toole

...can go on and on and on - many repetitions of those already stated...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

fallingwickets wrote:
where they the kirk/michael douglas of the golden era?

clive
Good comparison, Clive! Sr. did a lot of silent films and Jr. took over when the "talkies" came out.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Lists are problematical. They eventually include so many entries one simply should state ' I like old movies because 90% of today's actors have about as much charisma as a Starbucks Vente latte' vs a cup of strong black truck stop coffee when you've been driving all night.
I was fortunate to grow up in the San Fernando Valley. My grandfather, among other trades was a master cobbler who made dancing shoes for several 'hoofers.' My grandmother was a trained violinist who performed background music and gave lessons to Jack Benny. She appeared on one of his early T.V. shows.
These were flesh and blood people. Clark kept small reminders of his past with notes saying 'Just to remind you Gable.' It truly was golden, if for no other reason today's instant celebrities ( add water and microwave 30 seconds) think two action movies merit demgod status.
I am acquainted with a few local actors. One is Richard Roundtree. We were talking and I mentioned one of his movies with Gable's son in a role. Richard was suprised I knew, and delighted I gifted an old brownie of gable in a 3 piece donegal tweed holding me in his lap to give him. My gramps built THE KINGS chicken coops in Encino. Gable got this idea to raise chickens for fun and sell eggs at the local farmer's market. Hedid too, until the nieghbors complained about the rooster waking everybody up.
His ranch is now covered with a huge apartment highrise and so much street noise you can't think.
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

William Powell and Jean Harlow top my list. Hollywood photographer George Hurrell once described Powell as "the most impeccably groomed man in Hollywood." At least once a year, I'll spend a few evenings watching Powell/Loy in the entire Thin Man series.

jt
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

gil3591 wrote:oh, and , ronald coleman and greer garson. probably the two best speaking voices hollywood ever produced
Now I was just about to add those very two names to the list! What a man of taste you must be! See them both together in Random Harvest.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Not as many actors in the 21st century are all-around performers. More actors in the early 20th century grew up singing, dancing, and acting, and often it showed in the quality of their performances. There are still such actors now, just not in the same proportion.

How long before 2010 will be viewed as a golden age of something?