Shaving in the Movies

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
TSMAN

Post by TSMAN »

Movie "And Justice For All"....Al Pacino. He is a lawyer and in one scene he walks into his law office in the morning (in a suit) and goes into his bathroom and sprays some canned foam on his hands, puts it on his face, and goes to shaving.
Sean
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Just watching "The Guns of Diablo"

Charles Bronson shaves with a str8 and makes it look like he knows what he is doing!

- Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gramps wrote:Just watching "The Guns of Diablo"

Charles Bronson shaves with a str8 and makes it look like he knows what he is doing!

- Gramps
I would bet he knew what he was doing...one of the few actors I would think that of.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
ichabod
Mackem

What's new pussycat?

Post by ichabod »

I happened to catch a shaving scene in What's New Pussycat this morning.

Woody Allen is thinking he's going to get lucky with some French hottie. She stumbles drunkenly upstairs to his bed, but tells him he needs to shave first. He shaves with a straight razor, smiling drunkenly, slapping it on his palm to clean off lather. And ends up perfectly shaven. A good comic shave.

He then stumbles upstairs and the hottie has passed out.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

In "Ocean's 11" (the real one 1960 Rat pack), in the beginning,
Joey Bishop ("Mushy") and Akim Tamiroff ("Acebos") are in Druckers Hairdresser's for Men shop. SE razors being stropped, and men with towels on their faces.

Later in the movie, Cesar Romero ("Duke Santos") is half shaved when he comes from the bathroom to talk on the phone. In his hand is DE.

By the way..... this is probably my all time favorite movie. I refuse to see the supposed remake. :x
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

sgtrecon212 wrote:In "Ocean's 11" (the real one 1960 Rat pack), in the beginning,
Joey Bishop ("Mushy") and Akim Tamiroff ("Acebos") are in Druckers Hairdresser's for Men shop. SE razors being stropped, and men with towels on their faces.

Later in the movie, Cesar Romero ("Duke Santos") is half shaved when he comes from the bathroom to talk on the phone. In his hand is DE.

By the way..... this is probably my all time favorite movie. I refuse to see the supposed remake. :x
Nothing like sitting at the funeral...listening to the cremation taking place!

What a great ending!

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

The look on Duke Santo's face... spectacular reaction shot. One of the all time greatest ironic endings.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I just watched Disney's original 1968 The Love Bug with my kids last night and saw Buddy Hacket's character, Tennessee, leans out the window to talk with the policeman with lather all over his face and a mug and brush in his hand.

Being a VW fan, I've always loved these movies, and so do my kids, but this was the first time I've ever noticed the mug and brush.

Tom
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

in "Cold Mountain" the returning husband/soldier or whatever shaves with a knife near the end

in Joe Vs. the Volcano he buys a nice old style shave kit before heading out to jump into the volcano becuase of his brain cloud... mmm sunkist
javyn

Post by javyn »

In season 1 of Deadwood, after warning Gem Saloon owner, Al Swearengen, not to try to defraud the Widow Garret out of her newly discovered gold claim, the soon to be sheriff, Seth Bullock, asks Al if he can have a shave from the in-house saloon barber. In an attempt to give a veiled threat, Swearengen instructs Barney the Barber to "Be careful around the ahh..throat area." while he is lathering Bullock up. Great show, anyone who hasn't seen it should go out and rent the first season.

Wild Bill Hickock and Seth Bullock

Al Swearengen (the star of the show, in the grey striped suit) and his posse, Dan Dority and Silas Adams.
John
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

javyn wrote:In season 1 of Deadwood, after warning Gem Saloon owner, Al Swearengen, not to try to defraud the Widow Garret out of her newly discovered gold claim, the soon to be sheriff, Seth Bullock, asks Al if he can have a shave from the in-house saloon barber. In an attempt to give a veiled threat, Swearengen instructs Barney the Barber to "Be careful around the ahh..throat area." while he is lathering Bullock up. Great show, anyone who hasn't seen it should go out and rent the first season.

Wild Bill Hickock and Seth Bullock

Al Swearengen (the star of the show, in the grey striped suit) and his posse, Dan Dority and Silas Adams.
I've got to get a black suit for my daughter's wedding...wonder if I can get a bespoke suit like Seth is wearing in that top pic!

Randy
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

In "An Unfinished Life", Morgan Freeman uses a DE and a brush and a cake of soap, prolly Williams, to shave every morning. Robert Redford helps him out, as Freeman was snacked on by a grizzly bear and has troubles.

He applies the cream directly to his face without first wetting his face. Would suck to shave that way in real life!
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

In an episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour a crooked politician kills a farmer and then gives the farmer's son a couple hundred dollars to help alleviate himself of any responsibility. The farmer's son (played by Peter Fonda) vows revenge and uses the money to pay for barber school. He comes home and gets a job as an apprentice in the local barber shop. The barber is out when the politician comes in for a shave. He doesn't recognize Peter Fonda and sits down in the chair. Peter Fonda begins lathering the politician's face and then proceeds to shave him with a straight, while revealing his identity and telling him how he plans to slit his throat. The politician is too afraid to move, and in the next scene the barber comes in to find Peter Fonda standing over the dead politician's body, but he didn't kill him. The politician died of a heart attack.

Tom
honkdonker

Post by honkdonker »

karim0028 wrote:Hey,

I just watched the scent of a woman; with Al Pacino... Where he is a blind retired Lt. Crnl. and was planning on "blowin his brains out". The last thing he wants is to once again wake up with a beautiful lady next to him in bed. So, in preparation to end his life he live's it up big time, nice hotels and expensive dinners. Finally he goes to a barber shop some where in NY and gets a straight shave and ends the night with a beatiful lady..

Awesome movie... ;)

-Hytham
Also, early in the movie, he smells some lady, correctly identifying that she is wearing "Floris". However, he didn't name the exact scent, which is unfortunate, from a realism P.O.V.
mike

Post by mike »

In Shrek II both Mr. & Mrs. Shrek shave their face with a DE razor.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I notice when watching movies made before the 70s that most male actors had perfect looking shaves...baby-clean skin, no faint shadow or stubble anywhere. Nowadays, you can always see the shadow. For example- watch any of Connery's Bond movies made in the 60s...then watch Diamonds are Forever- in the latter, he has visible shadow all of the sudden. What secret did classic actors have that allowed them to attain such a perfect-looking shave? Did they have some sort of secret technique? Or was it just makeup?
javyn

Post by javyn »

Wasn't the 70s the decade that the cartridge razor came out? ...Coincidence???
John
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

javyn wrote:Wasn't the 70s the decade that the cartridge razor came out? ...Coincidence???
I don't use a cartridge razor and I can't get a prepubescent-looking chin like Bogart or Sinatra...
acoldspoon

Post by acoldspoon »

Shamelessly linked from the shavegeek's blog:
Cary Grant
Cheers,
Peter J
Barry

Post by Barry »

The Bowery Five Cent Shave.

I would like to watch this, don't know where to find it though. Maybe a film archives of some sort.

Barry