Favorite Actors From Hollywood's Golden Era

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

notthesharpest wrote: How long before 2010 will be viewed as a golden age of something?
Not in my lifetime!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

GA Russell wrote:
notthesharpest wrote: How long before 2010 will be viewed as a golden age of something?
Not in my lifetime!
How 'bout the "Return of the Double Edge Razor" starring Gordon, Squire, and Trumperman; sequel on the way.... 8)

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Least we forget the wonderful character actors of that generation (pick any John Ford, William Wellman or Howard Hawks movie). This also goes for the English actors/actresses whose names I've never memorized but would recognize their faces instantly.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... woods.html
Ron
rgc

Post by rgc »

All of them!

But if I had to pick one actor and one actress that I will always stop and watch whatever move they are in it would be Van Johnson and Dorris Day.

As for movies, I can watch "The Quiet Man" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara over and over again.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gene Tierney
--Bob--
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

GA Russell wrote:
Not in my lifetime!
Maybe 2010 will be considered the Golden Age of Multi-Blade cartridges!
Fitness
Lijun badger
fishgutmartyr

Post by fishgutmartyr »

No love for Charles Laughton? His Hunchback was one of the most complex characters I've ever seen: tragic, comic, cruel, and compassionate. He also delivered one of the greatest lines to end a move ever, in my opinion:

"Why was I not made of stone--like thee?"
John.

I'll think of something clever eventually.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Joel McCrea's 3000 acre ranch was in my area growing up, accessable by a short, handcut road called the norwegian grade after the immigrant farmers who built it and founded nearby Cal Lutheran College. If you left gates closed Mr McCrea let you ride horses across his land.
I'm in high school, looking at stolen Playboys and not telling my mom about the sex scenes in Clockwork Orange or what the lyrics in LOLA by the KINKS meant.
I was home sick one summer watching the T.V. with nothing on the 13 channels. This old BW movie came on. I saw Mr McCrea's name and thought 'why not?'
There was a scene with Jean Arthur sitting on the front steps. McCrea is playing with her shoulder and Arthur is getting all 'hot and bothered.'
I WAS GETTING HOT AND BOTHERED :oops: Hey, I never saw this stuff in all the sex scenes starting to become de riguer :?
I tried it later at the Simi Drive in with Roseanne Miller. She socked me first and then surrendered about the same time Dennis Hopper was telling Jack Nicholson to keep quiet in their cell.
malocchio

are you kidding ??

Post by malocchio »

fishgutmartyr wrote:No love for Charles Laughton? His Hunchback was one of the most complex characters I've ever seen: tragic, comic, cruel, and compassionate. He also delivered one of the greatest lines to end a move ever, in my opinion:

"Why was I not made of stone--like thee?"
............................."the suspect" remains one of the greatest film noirs and the "canterville ghost" one of the best comedies
Churchill

Post by Churchill »

William Holden and Glenn Ford are a couple of my favorites. Ford's part in the original "Ransom" is really nice. I really enjoy Robert Taylor's movies also, everything from his earlier mysteries to his later westerns.
Bob
designwise1

Post by designwise1 »

Not really old enough but...
John Phillip Law (Barbarella, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad). Only because I bought his shaving brush at the estate auction. :)
Gerald Martin
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I could more easily list films rather than players but one whose roles I always enjoyed was Ronald Colman.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have often played a quiz in which one tries to guess the name of a film in which certain actors and actresses were seen together. These days one can cheat with IMDB, but that would be against the spirit of the game and spoil all the fun - so no cheating! Let's try a couple, both picked for the remarkable cast and relative obscurity of the end product.

1. Trevor Howard, David Hemmings, John Gielgud, Harry Andrews, Peter Bowles, Vanessa Redgrave, Corin Redgrave, Joely Richardson and Natasha Richardson. A bomb on the set would not only have wiped out an extended family (including the director not in the list above), but also a future political party. What was the film, and what was the party?

2. Faye Dunaway, Sam Wanamaker, Wendy Hiller, Jonathan Pryce, Max von Sydow, Malcolm McDowell, Donald Houston, Orson Welles, James Mason, Katharine Ross, Ben Gazzara, Denholm Elliott & Leonard Rossiter. Hard to believe they were all in one movie, and it's out of print (I eventually found an old VHS at a ludicrous price). A Lew Grade vanity production perhaps, but an important and true story, despite which it sank without trace. What was the movie?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Chris, was the second one about a cruise on a boat, called something like The Last of Sheila?
Fitness
Lijun badger
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A cruise that went on a bit longer than expected, but rather more dramatically entitled.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

1) a) The Charge of the Light Brigade
b) THe Workers Revolutionary Party

2) Voyage of the Damned
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Excellent! We have a winner (bet you used IMDB!)

Two under-appreciated movies with remarkable casts.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Close- Google.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The closest I can come to number one is The charge of the Light Brigade.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I see I wasn't the first to chose the Light Brigade and, no I didn't look it up.
Regards,
Squire