How old are you? A demographic poll

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).

How old are you?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 am

15-20
2%
21-30
9%
31-40
24%
41-50
26%
51-60
27%
61-70
10%
70+
2%
I'm a vampire
1%

Total votes: 127

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I'm in the 41-50 spot now, but come NOV, I'll move to the 51-60.

Danny
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A better thread might be what did our predecessor females use as a grooming tool.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I'm 54. I remember JFK's assassination, John Glenn's earth orbit, and The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. I also remember my Dad shaving with a Gold Tech which is now in my razor collection.
Rich
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

GA Russell wrote:I wonder what percentage of North American traditional wetshavers are old enough to remember a father using a safety razor or perhaps (like me) a grandfather using a straight.
Hi, Gene! I remember my dad using a DE, then switched to a Schick Injector and my 2 of my uncles (moms side) using STR8's.
BTW, I just turned 58 in June.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

51 and aging perfectly, according to my wife. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
95%

Post by 95% »

67. My body's old but it ain't impaired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKVbh_kp ... re=related
Porter
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I'm a 49 year old vampire... I didn't see a catagory for that...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I vaguely recall my Dad using a DE, but it seems he mostly used an electric. He gave me my great-grandfather's straight and strop which I have never used. Oh, I am 59.
Regards,
Dale
reggiano

Post by reggiano »

I'm 51, my oldest son is off to college in 2 weeks, the other going into 10th grade. I remember shaving with my dad's adjustable (sans blade) as a kid.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Myself, on the cusp of 60 but shhh!, don't tell anyone.

The result of this survey shows that the preponderance of respondents are in their fifties. Quite the contrast when compared to a survey taken at that "other forum" where the under 30 crowd leads the poll. I appreciate the level of experience and resulting maturity shown here.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
paddy

Post by paddy »

i'm 33, going on 34.

i've been wetshaving since i was around 13. using cartridges and foam / gel. got into 'proper' wetshaving i.e. with a DE, brush and soap/cream in when i was around 27 or so.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

46 next Thursday.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

old enough to shave 8)
Rob
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

I'm pleased this has caught on. Some of you with 15-20 year old kids need to get them on board!
~Scott
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:I'm a 49 year old vampire... I didn't see a catagory for that...
I just assumed most vampires would be at least a century old. Never assume... Too much True Blood and too many Anne Rice novels. 8)
~Scott
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

The A1 is the Super Speed of my birth year. OK, 1955 so I am 55. I remember my Dad having a Super Speed in a plastic case with a clear top and red base in the cabinet over the sink but he shaved with an electric. A lot of men of his generation were obsessed with being "modern", almost as a matter of pride. There was a bottle of Old Spice as well. That was used daily.
Last edited by a-cut-above on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Okay Chris, I can get into that. Heard The Door's "The End" before it was even released, hung out at Max's Kansas City bumping into Nico, Candy Darling and that crowd, saw the Ramones live at Hilly's before anyone outside the City had ever heard of them and was in front of my apt. a block away when they busted Sid Vicious....ah!...those were the days!...cough...wheez....

I'm 62 ( I was going to lie, but what the hell....I don't really believe it anyway ). By the time I was around both my father and my grandfather shaved with electrics. Perhaps one of the first overt signs of rebellion was when I bought that new Gillette long handled adjustable in 1964 and taught myself how to use it.
Regards,
Gordon
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

bernards66 wrote:Okay Chris, I can get into that. Heard The Door's "The End" before it was even released, hung out at Max's Kansas City bumping into Nico, Candy Darling and that crowd, saw the Ramones live at Hilly's before anyone outside the City had ever heard of them and was in front of my apt. a block away when they busted Sid Vicious....ah!...those were the days!...cough...wheez....

Regards,
Gordon

See this is why we need time machines so I can go back before I was born and do things like this. Don't need the future, just come back to present if you want.

Saw a mediocre documentary recently about the Velvets(mediocre doc, not band), as I recently and finally decided to get into some of the influences of my favorite band, and one of the funniest things was that Lou didn't tell Doug who Candy was until more than a year or so after he'd sung "Candy Says" and they'd put it on record. Thought that was quite funny. Doug probably would have sung it differently so it's a good thing maybe.
~Scott
rgc

Post by rgc »

I am 40 but have the body of a 60 year old and the mind of a toddler. At least that's how I feel.
Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

47. I was born right at the junction between the baby boom and generation X. I have distinct memories of my dad shaving with a Super Speed--which may partially explain my fondness for the venerable SS.
Danny