New Gillette Milord

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Kirasdad

New Gillette Milord

Post by Kirasdad »

I just picked up a virtually mint Gillette "Milord" from the "Bay" for the astonishing price of less than $12.50 :lol: :lol: I just received it and it looks absolutely fantastic (I'll post some pics soon), but I did have one question. There is no date code of any kind on the razor and I was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to age this beauty. It is not that important, but I was just curious. I'd welcome any input, thanks.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Does the center bar have a notch? If not, it's made RIGHT after WWII. They put the notch in fairly early.
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

Yes, the center bar is notched. Based on the little bit of research I've done, I think it might be a 1949 model (these had notches, endcaps and no date code). I found this great site that provides wonderful pictures and information on all things Gillette: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillet ... sierer.htm
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

According to safetyrazors.net, the oldest Milord goes back to 1941.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

If the razor is US made and has notches in the center bar but no date code, it is almost certainly from 1948-1950. English made Gillettes ( and I believe, Canadian ones ) have no date codes.
Regards,
Gordon
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

Thanks for the input, it's always appreciated. Based on a bit more reading I'm fairly certain it is 49-50. I'm sterilizing it now, I'm going to use it tomorrow morning for the first time. I've been told they shave very much like early Super Speeds or Rockets, so we'll see how it goes.
Peace,
Andrew

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah. Basically they were simply gold toned Superspeeds.....which is just aces as far as getting a good shave is concerned. Enjoy, and let us know.
Regards,
Gordon
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Kirasdad wrote:Thanks for the input, it's always appreciated. Based on a bit more reading I'm fairly certain it is 49-50. I'm sterilizing it now...
Watch out - that gold comes off easily.

"Sterilizing" razors is mostly fantasy, unless you have actual medical sterilizing equipment and know how to use it and the razor doesn't get badly damaged in the process.
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

notthesharpest wrote:
Kirasdad wrote:Thanks for the input, it's always appreciated. Based on a bit more reading I'm fairly certain it is 49-50. I'm sterilizing it now...
Watch out - that gold comes off easily.

"Sterilizing" razors is mostly fantasy, unless you have actual medical sterilizing equipment and know how to use it and the razor doesn't get badly damaged in the process.
I do have proper equipment, and the knowledge to use it :wink: . It came out beautifully; I used it this morning with excellent results (I posted a report on the SOTD section)
Peace,
Andrew

Cigar Dan

Post by Cigar Dan »

Pauldog wrote:According to safetyrazors.net, the oldest Milord goes back to 1941.
True--that Milord is pretty much a gold plated Ranger Tech. It should be easily distinguishable from the post WWII models.
Danny
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah, Danny....good to hear from you.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Cigar Dan wrote:that Milord is pretty much a gold plated Ranger Tech. It should be easily distinguishable from the post WWII models.
The Ranger Tech shaves somewhat differently from the Super Speed, and the Milord I have looks just like a Super Speed, except for color.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, Yes, and that's exactly what most of them are. But, apparently, there were a few 'Milords' made on the eve of WWII that were basically Ranger Techs. Presumably, these are relatively rare. After the war, the model was re-introduced but now using the new Superspeed as the carrier of the name.
Regards,
Gordon
rickcaron2008

Post by rickcaron2008 »

"THINGS CHANGE"........CARLOS GAMBINO