Semogue Owners Club Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Cicerosecundus

SOC Brush Breakin

Post by Cicerosecundus »

I have used a SOC brush for three weeks non-stop and it has just barely started the break in. The bristles are somewhat thicker and more rigid than those that are in my 2000 Brush, which broke in much easier. Any of you out there have a SOC brush that you consider broken in? How long did it take? Cicerosecundus
evahs

Post by evahs »

I'm having the same issue, ~2-3 weeks of straight use and the tips are just beginning to split. . .
Cicerosecundus

Hard break in for SOC Brush

Post by Cicerosecundus »

The above reply means that it my hard and long break in is not specific to my brush.

I have a second issue: the bristles on my SOC are twisty and not naturally or unnaturally (as the case may be) straight, as are the bristles in my 2000. I read a post in another forum from someone from the factory who said that the factory used for the SOC bristles a new process for preparing bristles. When I and others received the SOC brush, we all commented that there was no pig or animal smell. Mine was lightly perfumed. When I got the 2000 it smelled like a dead pig for a week or so of shaves, but by the number of shaves which which I have used the SOC brush, the 2000 was beautifully broken in and had lost its wild animal BO. As the SOC brush stands after three weeks of continuous use, the 2000 is comparison superior in all parameters.

I wonder whether the new factory treatment of the bristles is causing the hard break in and, in my case, twisty and less than straight bristles?

Question, those of you who received the 2009 special brush, which the SOC brush is supposed to be similar to, did you have an extraordinary break in?

Cicerosecundus
stagger

Post by stagger »

My 1305 works plenty well enough so I don't need another brush. I suppose if this were a hobby for me I would probably get an Owners Club brush but that's not how I roll. :P
Regards,
Mark -
Cicerosecundus

Still not broken in

Post by Cicerosecundus »

I have used the SOB for a month and the at this point, few of the tips have split and its bristles are quite firm. It whips up a good soap lather, but has less capacity to hold lather than the 2000. At this point, I would recommend the 2000. It had a far easier break in, holds more lather, and has to my tastes a better feel as its bristles are a bit less stiff. In many ways the 2000 has a collection of characteristics that I find just right.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Come Monday morning's post, I too will be a member of this organization. The 1305 was too tempting to pass up when I was ordering "stuff" the other day.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

wendell, you're gonna love it. i pre-soak the brush upside down in my scuttle. i fill the scuttle with water only to the height of the bristles. that way the painted handle never gets wet. my 1305 started splitting its ends after the first use. i would say it broke in after 5 uses. the face feel is perfect. enjoy
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I've used my SOC for at least 4 weeks and the tips have started to split. The bristel bends, but I would't say it curls, as did the bristel on my Vulfix 'the Strand'. I don't feel the lather holdig capacity has increased since I started using it, but I'll see if that changes when more of the tips split. I've always understood that it takes at least four weeks before the tips start splitting, so I haven't expected much while using it up til now. I really like the brush, especially the handle. I find it very comfortable now, even though I had reservations about it when first starting using it.
Eric
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gave my brand new Semogue 1305 its first test drive today. While it needs to be broken in, it was a fun difference from my EJ Super Badger. Firmer, but holds less water -- as a result, holding less lather. I liked the feel though -- as I said, different from badger, not worse, just different. I can see over time this will be a good alternate experience brush. It's awful purdy too. :wink:
Wendell

gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

wendell, i think that when the smogue breaks in you'll love what it does to mwf :lol: for me, it works wonders on tabac
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Wendell, while it's pretty, the 1305 paint job is rather fragile.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Wendell, while it's pretty, the 1305 paint job is rather fragile.
I've had no problem with mine, but then I don't soak the handle and I don't throw mine across the bathroom like Tony does! :P

- Murray
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

CMur12 wrote:
m3m0ryleak wrote:Wendell, while it's pretty, the 1305 paint job is rather fragile.
I've had no problem with mine, but then I don't soak the handle and I don't throw mine across the bathroom like Tony does! :P

- Murray
yes, tony needs to carpet his bathroom with 3" foam \:D/
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

gil3591 wrote:
CMur12 wrote:

- Murray
Doesn't the levitation from the MWF porcelain dish prevent interaction with the floor and your treasured shaving goods?????? :wink:
Wendell

Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

CMur12 wrote:

- Murray
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... I've not had issues with mine either!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Cicerosecundus

Semogue Owners Club Brush

Post by Cicerosecundus »

After a full month of use, the ends of the SOCB still had not spit, so I left it with the bristles immersed in clean water for two full days and nights. But, despite all of my efforts, very few of the bristles have split to this day. However, the Semogue 2000 boar brush was completely broken in and a very fine, even superior, lather machine with two weeks steady use. Indeed it is a far better brush for soap lather than my SOC Brush is.

Why? I postulate that the SOC Brush must use a different bristle and has a different preparation/treatment that one of the employees or owners of Semogue wrote of in the Semogue Owners Forum. I would bet it is a chemical treatment.

Do I stand alone in the above observations? Are there others who despite extensive use have not been able to fully break in with observably split ends this SOC Brush? I am about to give up on it and set it aside as a travel brush.

Cicerosecundus
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I haven't used the SOC brush, but the LE brush upon which it was based never broke in for me properly. I, too, much prefer the inexpensive and functional 2000.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

there must be a difference. my 1305 started splitting its ends after the first use. could this be a "shaving brush reformulation"? maybe all the smogues will have this problem in the future
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Cicerosecundus

Semogue 2000 vs Owners Club Brush

Post by Cicerosecundus »

TBoner, thank you for your reply. That convinces me that the type of bristles or bristle treatment that Semogue is giving to its highest end brush is not going to work for me. I give up. The 2000 is a MUCH better brush. I am not convinced that I should use it even as a travel brush. Cicerosecundus
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

gil3591 wrote:
CMur12 wrote:

- Murray
<Sigh>, Apparently, I will never,ever, be able to live that down.
Nor will the good fellows here let me forget it either. :oops:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits