MWF - Now I see...

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
droy3

MWF - Now I see...

Post by droy3 »

I'm' 7 weeks into wetshaving and after about 6 lackluster attempts at MWF, I finally see what all the fuss is about. I've gotten good to great shaves from a variety of products and blades, but somehow MWF had eluded me until today. I continued to try since the post shave moisturizing was great. The gear and methodology today included:

- Feather SS razor
- Gillette Blue blade
- Rooney 1/2 Finest
- Sara B's lather bowl
- Coral Skin Food pre-shave
- Musgo Real Glyce Lime Soap in shower
- MWF
- Hot water rinse
- Cold water rinse
- Razorock
- Get dressed, cold water rinse
- Superhazel, with some water still on face
- Wait a few minutes then Skin Food post shave

Originally, I followed the accepted lathering method, which included using a relatively dry brush and a tablespoon or so of water to hydrate the MWF, loading the brush as much as possible and then transfering to my shave dish, adding water as necessary. Today, however, I fully submerged the MWF puck during my shower, emptied the water after my shower, loaded the brush, face lathered, then while the MWF sat on my face I went back to the MWF and loaded up again, went to the dish and got enough lather for at least another 2+ passes and proceeded to shave (turns out I had enough for another 3 passes + touch up). The results were extremely possitive. BBS with very little iritation. I did, however have to re-hydrate the original face lather slightly. BBS shave, no nicks, and all this with a blade I'm not too fond of.

Now I see what's up with the FAT...I was really starting to wonder.

Cheers,

Doug
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome, Doug. I've always been a huge proponent of the wet-brush approuch. I seldom need to add water, knowing how much water to keep in all of my brushes for each soap. The only risk is too much lather, which I can live with.
Regards,
Andy
Blue As A Jewel

Re: MWF - Now I see...

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

droy3 wrote:I'm' 7 weeks into wetshaving and after about 6 lackluster attempts at MWF, I finally see what all the fuss is about. I've gotten good to great shaves from a variety of products and blades, but somehow MWF had eluded me until today. I continued to try since the post shave moisturizing was great. The gear and methodology today included:

- Feather SS razor
- Gillette Blue blade
- Rooney 1/2 Finest
- Sara B's lather bowl
- Coral Skin Food pre-shave
- Musgo Real Glyce Lime Soap in shower
- MWF
- Hot water rinse
- Cold water rinse
- Razorock
- Get dressed, cold water rinse
- Superhazel, with some water still on face
- Wait a few minutes then Skin Food post shave

Originally, I followed the accepted lathering method, which included using a relatively dry brush and a tablespoon or so of water to hydrate the MWF, loading the brush as much as possible and then transfering to my shave dish, adding water as necessary. Today, however, I fully submerged the MWF puck during my shower, emptied the water after my shower, loaded the brush, face lathered, then while the MWF sat on my face I went back to the MWF and loaded up again, went to the dish and got enough lather for at least another 2+ passes and proceeded to shave (turns out I had enough for another 3 passes + touch up). The results were extremely possitive. BBS with very little iritation. I did, however have to re-hydrate the original face lather slightly. BBS shave, no nicks, and all this with a blade I'm not too fond of.

Now I see what's up with the FAT...I was really starting to wonder.

Cheers,

Doug
Yeah, yeah, yeah... MWF is tricky and all that... 7-weeks into wet shaving? How did you nab a Rooney's finest???!!!

Seriously, good to hear you're developing a method to address the idiosyncrasies of MWF! I still approach it with some trepidation and really have to go by feel rather than a formulaic approach.

So seriously, seriously... how did you score the Rooney?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

doug that is great news and for someone starting out it sounds like you are doing great

your gear is awsome too...

you do what works and that is all you need do..

pre shave is fine especially trympers skin food is great stuff,, many find that pre shaves may be good for ultra smooth gliding of the razor but thats is the plus side and the negative side is than i dont get as close a shave.. i use skin food after i shave not as a pre shave

especially with MWF (my favorite soap) it gives so much cushion already that you can just use it with out a pre shave

also putting it in the shower is a bit extreme.. just a spash of water on the puck will soften it plenty and not waste any ... my rooneys i just wet real good and three flicks of the wrist to get the escess water out
and then to puck for loading and that should give the same results with less effort

if not do want you are doing

you should get zero irration when you shave,,,its takes some time
all about technique and experience ... try less blade angle ..the less blade angle you can shave with make for a smooth stroke and a closer shave with less effort and more comfort. and you should get less irration too

lotta of luck
marc
droy3

Post by droy3 »

Blue As A Jewel wrote: Yeah, yeah, yeah... MWF is tricky and all that... 7-weeks into wet shaving? How did you nab a Rooney's finest???!!!

Seriously, good to hear you're developing a method to address the idiosyncrasies of MWF! I still approach it with some trepidation and really have to go by feel rather than a formulaic approach.

I called Classic Shaving and they had one in stock. I wanted a 1/1 finest, but the 1/2 was the last one in stock...so I grabbed it and it is amazing :D
droy3

Post by droy3 »

marsos52 wrote:doug that is great news and for someone starting out it sounds like you are doing great

your gear is awsome too...

you do what works and that is all you need do..

pre shave is fine especially trympers skin food is great stuff,, many find that pre shaves may be good for ultra smooth gliding of the razor but thats is the plus side and the negative side is than i dont get as close a shave.. i use skin food after i shave not as a pre shave

especially with MWF (my favorite soap) it gives so much cushion already that you can just use it with out a pre shave

also putting it in the shower is a bit extreme.. just a spash of water on the puck will soften it plenty and not waste any ... my rooneys i just wet real good and three flicks of the wrist to get the escess water out
and then to puck for loading and that should give the same results with less effort

if not do want you are doing

you should get zero irration when you shave,,,its takes some time
all about technique and experience ... try less blade angle ..the less blade angle you can shave with make for a smooth stroke and a closer shave with less effort and more comfort. and you should get less irration too

lotta of luck
marc
I'll have to try it without the skin food tomorrow to compare.

Also, I didn't actually bring the MWF in the shower. I just soaked it to the rim (in the MWF ceramic container) while I was in the shower. Based on your comments I think I wasn't using enough water during the process. Another option I gather would be to wet my brush some more...more opportunities to experiment...

Regarding irritation, since I was using Proglides prior to comming back to DE shaving, I still have a tendency to apply too much pressure if I don't remind myself to lay off a little...it'll get better :lol:

Thanks for the help!
Blue As A Jewel

droy3 wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote: Yeah, yeah, yeah... MWF is tricky and all that... 7-weeks into wet shaving? How did you nab a Rooney's finest???!!!

I called Classic Shaving and they had one in stock. I wanted a 1/1 finest, but the 1/2 was the last one in stock...so I grabbed it and it is amazing :D
That's it? I emailed Classic and was told never to be seen again in the foreseeable future!

Anyway, congratulations - I'm glad you're enjoying my brush...

...oh yeah, welcome...
- Ravi -

droy3

Post by droy3 »

[quote="Blue As A Jewel] Anyway, congratulations - I'm glad you're enjoying my brush...

...oh yeah, welcome...[/quote]

...and the award for the least sincere welcoming goes to...Ravi... :P

Just kidding! If it makes you feel any better, and it likely won't, when I called they seemed surprised that they had it in stock...and it took 24 days for it to arrive here in Calgary. Me thinks they didn't send it right away due to a lack of organizational skills (they couldn't locate the tracking number for a week or more)...
Blue As A Jewel

...and you're from Calgary. Great.
- Ravi -

Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

Isn't there a Canuckian wetshaving forum?

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
droy3

Post by droy3 »

Blue As A Jewel wrote:...and you're from Calgary. Great.
...working in Calgary the last few months. Going to head back to Vancouver at the first available opportunity. Damn economy...
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

doug thats what i do any any soap and even creams

works every time

soon you will see that mwf is no different to make great lather than any other soap....no magic trick needed

and few drops of water on the soap and really dont even need to do that just maes it a tad easier on the brush

get the bush wet,,give three flicks and go for it

marc
Blue As A Jewel

droy3 wrote:
Blue As A Jewel wrote:...and you're from Calgary. Great.
...working in Calgary the last few months. Going to head back to Vancouver at the first available opportunity. Damn economy...
My wife is from Vancouver... You've just gone up a couple of notches! :lol:
- Ravi -

JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

The almost dry brush and no teaspoon of water works. It is no different to any other soap. Unfortunately submerging MWF you have deleted the best of it from next shaves. It has deteriorated.

But I am anyways glad you got a nice shave. Now you can go and buy another puck for next submerge :wink:
Jarmo
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm glad you're getting the MWF figured out. It does take some time, for me it did. The best advice I've been given here was to use distilled water if my tap water is hard, which it is. I only need it on soaps, and it just takes about a cup for use on the brush and on the soap, and to add water if needed. If you're lucky enough to have soft water, then it's purely your technique, and it sounds like that's coming along just fine.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

MWF is it's own thing and their credit apparently haven't changed much. I've had good use from soaps and some are a bit different in their use.
Regards,
Squire
droy3

Post by droy3 »

Thanks to everyone for their support and advice...much appreciated! 3 consecutive days of MWF with similar results :) No loss of properties (lubricity or cushion) as some nay-sayers predicted...

Today I switched up and used my Tabac stick. Much easier and found it to be a closer shave. The moisturizing properties aren't as good so I'll keep at it...

Tomorrow it'll be MWF + Floris cream (superlather)...just for fun,

Cheers,

Doug