Applying Witch Hazel

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
cadfael_tex

Applying Witch Hazel

Post by cadfael_tex »

How? I started out splashing a tiny but of it but read the directions finally and they say cotton ball. Is there a preferred method or does it matter?
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

The cotton ball technique is used when you are cleaning your whole face with the witch hazel. Just pour some into your hands and slough it on for an aftershave.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
CJS

Post by CJS »

I use an atomizer
-Chris

"I'm sorry, I thought this was America!"
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Either one of the above - I tend to do what Bill has suggested...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
95%

Post by 95% »

I use Walgreen's quilted cotton pads, which come in inexpensive bags of about 200. I douse the pad with witch hazel and wipe down my entire face, including forehead and ears, after the shave. I then allow the w/h to dry on its own, so that my skin will get the maximum goodness out of it.
Porter
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Just splash it on like an aftershave. The purpose is to remove any shaving cream/creme residue and sooth any shaving burn or small knicks you may have. Then apply your after shave/balm immediately after.

If your face is dirty/oily, them go the cotton ball or pad method. It does a great job of cleaning your face.

Enjoy your shave.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
95%

Post by 95% »

What Oscar said. I use witch hazel in lieu of soap to clean my face at the end of the day.
Porter
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

Rub it from chin to the sideburns as an a/s
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I just splash it on like an A/S. After wiping the lather left on my face with a damp towel I immediately use the WH splash. Then I go about a final rinse of my razor and hand stropping my blade followed by cleaning my mug and rinsing my brush. Then I apply my ASB or ASM.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

When I wipe the lather off my face, I leave a tiny bit of residue. I pour witch hazel into my hand, splash it onto my face and massage it into the skin with the lather residue. It's as good as any balm I have found.

- Murray
95%

Post by 95% »

Murray, I remember you saying once before that you use a small bit of lather as a balm. Obviously I can't quarrel with your results, but the thought runs counter to what one would normally expect: soap cleans the skin by removing dirt and oil, while balm replenishes the lost moisture and some oils. How could one product do both?

Clearly, however, it's not as simple as that. For years I used Noxzema, a skin cleanser, as an aftershave balm. It worked fine and did no harm to my complexion. Then I got wise and started using products labeled as balms, and my skin continues to be OK. There may not really be much difference at all in these products we use.
Porter
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Porter -

My mother recently grabbed a bottle of Cetaphil liquid soap instead of hand lotion, and she used it successfully as hand lotion until I pointed out what it was.

I have noticed some overlap in the ingredients of soaps and hand creams, in the form of fats and, in some cases, even a saponifier like potassium hydroxide.

I wash my face before I shave, so by the end of the shave the skin has been well cleansed. I apply the leftover skin-friendly lather to the shaved surface after the shave and leave it there while I clean up the bathroom and put things away. After that, I wipe off the lather and apply Thayer's Witch Hazel. The lather seems to serve well for such double duty.
95%

Post by 95% »

Murray - interesting story about your mother and the Cetaphil. The hand soap must contain moisturizing ingredients. If she were using a very cheap liquid soap as a skin cream, she might notice the difference.

In your case I wonder if the lather is really acting as a balm when you rub it into the skin. It just sits there until you remove it with the Thayer's. Your shaving technique, I can well imagine, is such that you do very little damage to the outer epidermal cells and may not need a balm other than the witch hazel. All speculation, of course.
Porter
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Porter, you're right that I don't really need a balm. What happens is that the lather residue mixes with the witch hazel and forms a kind of cream, which is gradually absorbed into the skin.

- Murray
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Splish, splash ...

Post by Odio Barbillas »

One more for the column of pour and spread by hand. It works fine, soothes, and I like the peculiar smoky scent it has. I let it air-dry and afterward I may apply lotion, ASB, and/or a nice cologne.

The appeal of witch hazel is that it doesn't sting or burn, even with the 14% alcohol version I buy from a large, soulless retail chain near my home. If I splash on, say, OBR double-strength special reserve (w/o WH first) I, er, feel something, y' dig? :evil:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

I like a bit more control.. After my rinse, I use Alum, then cold water rinse again and then Thayers Witch Hazel Pads.. finish with another cold water rinse and my balm of choice...

Been thinking about adding a few drops of Bay Rum to the jar..

Books

Post by Books »

I recently started using this after every shave. I have a small spray bottle that I use. I remove the final lather with a wash rag, spay on the WH and let it dry while I strop my razor and tidy up the sink. Then put on the A/S and I'm off.
Bob
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

The correct answer is "externally". Just don't drink it, and you're doing it right.

For myself, I've taken to applying it right after my final, cold water rinse while my face is still a bit wet. I use a little more than I would of an actual aftershave splash. I let that "do its thing" while I clean up, do another cold water rinse, and apply splash in much the same way. I use less splash this way, and I feel it a lot less if for some reason I was in a hurry or got careless w/the razor.
--Josh
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am a traditional "pour-and-splash" user.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Exactly how I mix a traditional cocktail Wendell.
Regards,
Squire