TOBS Lavender Soap question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

TOBS Lavender Soap question

Post by brothers »

I recall there was a recent popularity of the TOBS Lavender soap a few weeks ago. More recently, I was able to obtain a sample of TOBS Lavender Shaving Cream, which seemed to me to be strong, which I like, and it reminded me of the fragrance of Castle Forbes and Connaught Lavender creams. The reason I didn't seriously consider the TOBS soap before was because I once made a blind purchase of Harris Lavender soap, and all I could get from it was a highly perfumed flowery and kind of sickly sweet smell, nothing in my sense of smell identified any lavender about it, so maybe it was unfair of me to judge the TOBS so quickly. Is TOBS lavender soap more like TOBS lavender cream, or is it along the lines of the DRH lavender perfume soap? I should also add, that in the past I had purchased 2 tubs of Harris Lavender shaving cream, blind again, in response to some highly complimentary posts. I didn't care for the Harris lavender cream any more than I did the soap, and sold it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, to me the Taylor’s Lavender shaving soap smells a lot like the Atkinson’s English Lavender water whereas D.R. Harris Lavender shaving soap smells more like an Eau de Quinine. And actually I believe that’s the way Harris’ soap is intended to smell. The reference to lavender is a reference to the essential oil in the soap used for medicinal purposes only, not for scent. The Harris Almond soap smells darn near identical and I can’t really tell them apart all that well. Again the reference there is to the almond oil used in the soap not for the scent. The Harris creams are different breeds altogether as they are scented with regards to their namesakes. The issue I believe you had with the Harris lavender cream scent is that it’s an artificial lavender scent not an essential oil scent. I happen to like it myself but other gents have voiced their displeasure with regards to it.

The Taylor’s soap is an essential oil scented soap. It’s not a straight lavender like Castle Forbes but a blend like the Atkinson’s cologne water. Oddly enough it doesn’t smell anything like the Taylor’s Lavender water which has strong other notes in it. Nor does it smell too similar to the Taylor’s cream (though it’s closer). The soap is very bright and clean, at least the old formula was, can’t vouch for the new stuff. Perhaps someone who has used both can chime in on the similarities of their scents. Hope that helps.

Chris
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

1. Taylor's lavender hard soap smells absolutely nothing like Harris's, not even distantly related.

2. Despite the claims, Taylor's lavender soap smelled distinctly artificial to me and I didn't like the scent much. Other people do like it - I seem to be a minority. But beyond all that, at least it's a true attempt at a lavender scent of some kind - Harris's is something else entirely, as you pointed out.

Conclusion: Taylor's soap is definitely worth a try for you.
Kirasdad

Post by Kirasdad »

I just cracked open a fresh refill this morning and the aroma was simply sublime, and exactly as I remember it. I cannot speak to whether or not it is a "true" Lavender, but to me it is simply wonderful. It has a distinct fragrance, which I have always thought of as Lavender, but it is not overpowering. It is also a wonderfully well made soap that produces plenty of rich lather and leaves my face feeling clean and well moisturized. I've used the Harris Lavender soap, as well, and I agree that it is a different animal entirely; not bad, just different.
Last edited by Kirasdad on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace,
Andrew

Those who danced were thought to be insane, by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I use it once in a while and enjoy it very much. It smells okay, nothing too strong and lathers very well.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."