What's your method with Pacific Shave Oil?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Joey

What's your method with Pacific Shave Oil?

Post by Joey »

I recently purchased a bottle of PSO, and so far it seems to work quite nicely. The main things I've noticed with any pre shave or shave oil that I've used is that it eliminates irritation, and the PSO is doing just that. I've been just applying about 7-8 drops to my face then lathering up, but for subsequent passes just apply cream. I noticed some mention in past threads of applying the oil before each pass, adding it to the cream vs appying to face, etc. For those of you who use PSO, what's your routine?

1. How many drops do you use?

2. Do you apply it to face or do you add it to your cream?

3. Do you apply before each pass or just the inital pass?

Joey
JoeBoever

Post by JoeBoever »

Hi Joey,

1. I use 8 drops
2. I apply it to my face
3. When I first started using PSO, I applied it before each pass. Lately I've been playing around with only applying once (before the first pass), and haven't noticed any difference.

Keep in mind that I've only been wetshaving for 2 months, so some of the veterans who have more experience than I do may have a more educated answer.
Moe Joe

Post by Moe Joe »

I have used Shave Secret before shaving and it does seem to add lubrication. I only use it with soaps such as Williams.
Question; If you are supposed to wash your face prior to shaving to remove oil so that the water and lather can soften your beard, is using a shave oil first reducing the effectiveness of the water and lather?
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Joey,

I have been using PSO for every shave for more than a year now. Zero irritation with: multiple strokes over an area (even on the sensitive neck and throat areas), multiple passes, creams, soaps, gels, foams, brushless creams, DEs, single blade disposables and Feather Artist str8s.

I use 8-10 drops before each pass. If just applying it before the first pass suffices for the entire shave, then carry on. The bottle will last you longer. Each beard and sensitivity is different. Using PSO before each pass works for me.

I put the drops in my wet palm, rub them together, and massage the oil into my wet beard, in the direction of strokes I will be using during that pass. For example, if I am doing against-the-grain strokes for that pass, then I will massage in PSO against-the-grain as well.

There is no adverse effect on lathering. Yes, water and lather softens your beard, but PSO lubricates it. Even if your beard is soft, it is no guarantee against razor irritation. PSO prevents razor irritation, at least for me.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

What about shaving using ONLY PSO, no other cream/soap/lather?
custom410

Post by custom410 »

I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and I use about 4-5 drops before lathering for my first pass, and then again before lathering for my third pass. I have found that a hot water rinse after my first pass is sufficient, there is still enough PSO on my face before I lather up for the second pass.
Cheers,
Rob
Moe Joe

Post by Moe Joe »

I think I will try shaving as usual with soap or cream for the first two passes and then apply shave oil by itself for the third pass or for the really close touch up pass (t/c).
Joe
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i promise you that QED shave stick is slick enough alone for touch and cut

sam
InjuryLaw

Post by InjuryLaw »

Here's my twist on using the PSO. I actually add about 8-12 drops directly to whatever cream or soap I'm using! I feel it adds extra lubrication and comfort to the shave. To be honest, however, I'm not really sure how much extra help it provides, no matter how it's used. I was never that enamored with it, especially after reading all the raves.

- Brad
medicwood

Post by medicwood »

My theory on shave oils is that once the hair has been saturated with hot water, the oil actually locks this moisture in, therefore keeping the hairs softer longer in addition to lubrication. I have nothing to base this on, and it's just personal opinion.

BTW I have not tried PSO yet, but I am currently using shave secret and think it really helps.

6-8 drops in wet hands massaged into face, then lather. So far only before first pass.

Matt
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Stanmog,

First off, Welcome to the Neighborhood, pardner!

Good question about just using PSO for shaving.

Actually, it was developed as a shave oil for just that purpose: to shave without creams or gels. I have tried PSO just by itself, but it is too spartan for me. I like my shave creams and brushes too much.

Water activates the lubricating properties of PSO, so as long as you keep your beard wet during the shave process, everything is fine.

So for that occasional "speed shave" in the morning when you are out of time and need to go, some hot water, PSO and a single blade disposable will do an acceptable job. Or if you are traveling and need to go ultralight, all you need to shave is water, PSO and a disposable.

Again, welcome to the neighborhood. Kick your boots off, find a comfy chair and stay a tad.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
HLSheppard
Coffee King

Post by HLSheppard »

I'm on board with Richard on this one. I use 7 drops before every pass and get zero irritation even against the grain with a Slant Bar.

I rub it into a wet face and then rub a little more water in on top of it. The directions on the box say to not add more oil, only water.

There are ZERO ill effects to the brush and I just couldn't be happier.

I don't like it enough by itself and I've never been able to see any benefit from adding it to the cream. Every time I try it, I can't tell a difference.

When I first tried the free sample that Charles (QED) sent me - I wasn't impressed. Then, I used more (went from 3 drops to 8, IIRC) and it was like night and day.
Howard L. Sheppard
howardsheppard(at)sbcglobal.net

"I wish I were less awkward around strangers. I never know what to say when someone asks me who I am and what in the world I'm doing in their house." -- Andy Ihnatko
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

If I use PSO, I use it at the end of the shave. The extra protection isn't really needed until you start cutting skin close. There are two methods depending on what razor I am using to finish with.

For maximum buffer: I rinse my face. Pat it dry with a towel. Rub on 5 or 6 drops of PSO and then take a very small dollop of whatever cream I am using, work it in my hands for a second with just a smidgen of water, and rub it over top of the PSO. Great protection if you really want to dig in.

Alternate method: Sqeeze the last bit of lather out of your brush. Work it back and forth in your hands to thicken it. Add 3 or 4 drops of PSO. Work it again. Lay it up on your face. Gives extra protection without having to rub something oily on your face, although PSO is about as un-oily a shaving oil as you can find.

This is very similar to how Method Shavers use Cutting Balm.
Brett
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Richard,
Thank you for the welcome!
Until recently, my practice was to use PSO only, shaving with a Mach3. It was fast, easy, and I never got cut.
I'm now using a Merkur HD, and a variety of soaps (St. Carles, Taylors, T+H), but I haven't yet tried the DE with PSO alone. My shaves are closer, and I'm enjoying shaving more, but the PSO alone would be great for travelling.
Regards,
Stan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

anyone who can compare the PSO with the QED shave stick for touchup purposes?

as brett said, if you use the method reduction, you arent getting too concerned with removing all of the beard growth on the first or first couple of passes. at least this approach works for me

sam
Joey

Post by Joey »

Last shave with PSO was 8 drops 1st pass and 6 drops for the 2nd and 3rd. I was able to shave closer with even less irritation. I also have fairly dry skin, and by applying more oil, my face didn't feel tight or get flaky after the shave, which it tends to do when the air is cold and dry.