SAD: A funny thing happened on the way to the soap cabinet

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
ScottB

SAD: A funny thing happened on the way to the soap cabinet

Post by ScottB »

Hi,

I'm Scott and I have Soap Acquisition Disorder. :wink:

I posted recently how I was running low on bath and face soaps and was about to refill my soap cabinet with a moderately large mult-year purchase. I listed a few soaps that I was going to buy, mostly soaps everyone here knows about. I was feeling rather pleased with myself given my obvious thrift and superior forward planning.

Yeah, uhuh. :D So much for that.

So I made my regular purchase, some Lightfoots Pine, Institute Karite, L'Occitane, Speik, some glycerin-based face soaps and some Doux Rose.

But then Sam mentioned his use of Chagrin Valley hard-shampoo and body bars. I found that I really enjoyed these soaps and shampoo bars and began looking at other artisan soaps.

I also found I like Claus Porto, particularly the Favorito (Red Poppy). Found some coffee soap bars that I love and some coconut soaps I also like. I ran into this blog where many artisan soaps are reviewed and there is a huge list of them there: http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/

Now I've got a full soap cabinet that is almost embarrassing. I've hidden it in a closet in the guest house. I would post a picture but it would end up on google images as "obsessed middle-aged man's soap collection".

Anyone else similarly afflicted? :oops:
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Please do post pics. Pics and posts like this always make me feel much better about my own situation. :)
Rob
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Ah - you've got a mild case. When things have to be ordered it makes sense to get a lot and save on the shipping. And if you like it, there will be plenty more. I have multi-year supplies of bath soaps such as Sabon Gal, Nancy Boy, Vinolia, Dalan, Woods of Windsor, & Floris. Add to those my Methuselah-lifetime supplies of shaving soaps such as Tabac, Cella, P160, Trumpers, Williams, AoS, Harris, Woods of Windsor etc and you will understand why I can't allow anyone in the house. Partly because they will see there is something fanatical and obsessive going on, and partly because the door won't open far enough, given the cardboard boxes of soaps lying around and obstructing it. I'll die clean and sweetly scented.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

A....believe it or not, actually, 'no'. I'm really not that much of a hoarder, although that's probably as much a factor of limited funds as it is of better mental health. The previous order for bath soap ( Vinolia ) was 13 cakes but that was mainly because I knew that this was the end of the old formula stuff so I bought up most of what they had left. Truth is, I kind of resent HAVING to mail order soap, and for years it wasn't necessary because I could get enough of the good stuff locally. Now that's over, unfortunately. I normally don't order more than six cakes at a time, max. And only bath soap. For hand soap, and the other bath I make do with what can still be gotten around home. I suppose, if I'd had buckets of money I'd have ordered 50 cakes of the Floris Rose Geranium the moment I learned they were going to go to a palm oil base....sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

I have enough of my favourite shave soaps and enough razor blades to last a very long time. Till I retire. And piano teachers generally retire at about 85. :)

My stash all fits in one good-sized cupboard in the basement, so I don't feel bad about it.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I was out in in the desert near Edwards AFB where the shuttle first landed. There is a collapsed rock shelter full of old electronic gear where one of the first UFO cult leaders claimed to have met a beautifull alien. I'm sipping cowboy coffee nearby at my squaw fire among the hoodoo shadows, yellow eyes of passing coyotes and flickering bats. I telepathically received a 'hello the camp!'
I invited the strangers in and greeted 2 aliens named Francisco and Humberto. They were from the latin quarter on their planet,smelled my coffee and mistakenly thought I was their contact for the Tea Party. I was honest, explained Alice doesn't live here anymore but offered to help.
They confided the Lizard People were implanting microchips in californian's brains via Taco Bell nachos and compelling us to buy multiple copies of CATCHER IN THE RYE as proof of control- do you own any? when I explained I collected Antoine de Saint-Exupery they relaxed.
It was revealed compulsive purchasing of odd collections like french pilot literature, shaving kit, Elvis memorabilia,kitchen witches and salt and pepper shakers was from a counter subliminal suggestion. Individuals so predisposed would one day rise up unexpected to defeat the elite Illuminati, Home Depot, L.A. Dodgers officer corps and the earthly commandant, Lady Ga Ga in a final Armageddon at Disneyland. Our leader would be the pater familias of all good men, Hugh Hefner and his minions aka bunnies.
We shook hands and they taught me a sign like SPOCK they learned in an earlier East L.A. encounter and left in a candy apple red saucer with dingle balls in the tinted portholes and cromed landing skids. I was left with a lifetime supply of Woods of Windsor AS as reward for sharing this communicae.
You are NOT alone.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Man - that's some good weed!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Up to now KAV I was dubious....this though....riveting stuff. I had a simillar experience near a vast 'crop circle' in a Northern South Dakota wheat field. My *guest workers* encountered were a couple of "Danes" though.

Now where is Jarmo to up-load that bitchin' Parsons song right here.......
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

F.W. Fitch wrote:Up to now KAV I was dubious....
You were doubtful - his story was dubious. (Just had to slip that in there, sorry.)
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

drmoss_ca wrote:Man - that's some good weed!

Chris
Weed, the hell you say; more like Peyote . Why else would he be in the desert? :)
"I'm just here to ride the rainbow, and you're invited, of course." David Lee Roth
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Reality is for people who can't handle drugs. While I have tried peyote once in a kiva and the obligatory ragweed once in high school my chemical dependancy has focused largely on a shot of laphraiog a few evenings a week.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

KAV wrote:Reality is for people who can't handle drugs. While I have tried peyote once in a kiva and the obligatory ragweed once in high school my chemical dependancy has focused largely on a shot of laphraiog a few evenings a week.
I've been working my way through a bottle of Oban recently. A wee dram and a thin slice of my grandmothers fruitcake. Heaven!
KAV

Post by KAV »

Soak some of the fruitcake in brandy or rum. This has been my primary emergency food on hiking trips.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Hi Scott. Welcome to our group. The road is arduous and long, but if we stick together, we can make it.

Yes, Gordon, I still rue the fact that the Rose Geranium was changed. I am not rich, but given that everyone liked it in my family (enough that daughter when in college would come home for a weekend and rummage through the soaps to take one or two back), I might have paid darn near full price for it. I stocked up with like 6 bars when it was around half price somewhere and wow, loved it.

Scott, I like Red Poppy, Art Deco and another one that escapes me. Vetyver is nice, and I am using that one up and gonna try a Vinolia older version.
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

KAV wrote:Soak some of the fruitcake in brandy or rum. This has been my primary emergency food on hiking trips.
I don't think her fruitcake would accept an additional mol of alcohol as it is already at saturation.
ExecAccess

Post by ExecAccess »

You could always make someone very happy with a Christmas gift selection from your own "soap display"....if you can stand to party with any that is
www.executiveaccessories.com.au - mens fashion accessories and skin care online in Australia.