Old Books

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
clownjuggles
Resident Juggler

Old Books

Post by clownjuggles »

Anyone else here collect books?
Peter
"Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd
His skin was pale and his eye was odd,
he shaved the faces of gentlemen who never
there after were heard of again. He trod a path
that few have trod, did Sweeney Todd,
The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

Actually I have never been a book collector, but a book reader ... predominantly fiction because fact-based books just don't hold much excitement for me. Not too long ago I read a short book on the ancient Etruscans ... how is it possible that such a book was an agony to read? Must have been someone's doctoral thesis ... DAMN, it was dull! My predilection is mysteries or psychological thrillers or occasionally fantasy (which use to be my passion a few years ago). I lean more towards the wacky, with such authors (mostly from Texas) as: Joe R. Lansdale, Neal Barrett, and Nancy Collins. Perhaps the most valuable book in my library (I am only guessing) is a rather large tome by a local (deceased) author by the name of H.P. Lovecraft. The thrill in his short tales of terror is in the atomosphere he builds, not in the actual monster. The handsomest books in my library were produced by a local publisher, Donald M. Grant, who produced some particularly rich-looking tomes featuring Conan the Barbarian by Robert E. Howard, as well as tales by other little-known, but quite talented, writers of fantasy.

Regards,
Charles
Q E D
Dragon, Interrupted

Post by Dragon, Interrupted »

Ah, books! I love them very much :D I collect and read. I am a subscriber to Easton Press (100 Greatest Books Ever Written, The Complete Works of Charles Dickens, and First Edition Library.) Except for the First Edition Library, all of their books are beautifully leather bound (and expensive). I had to put my 100 Greatest's on hold when I started with the Dickens. But I love these books. Especially Dickens. It seemed to me that since I will probably read them over and over again, it is worth the investment, and it is an heirloom collectible. I adore Victorian literature and books about Victorian England. I also have an 1870 set of Dickens novels (published the year he died).

I like fantasy as well. My favorites are Robert Jordan (The Wheel of Time is a fantastic series), George R.R. Martin and Stephen Donaldson. I wouldn't say I am a huge fantasy fan--I have trouble branching out very far in that direction.

Aside from that, I like historical fiction, literary works, and just about anything to do with Ireland. My library is rounded out with theology (mainly liturgical studies, Catholic classics, the Fathers, etc. I am a big fan of C.S. Lewis, however.)

I read every moment I possibly can. I am passionate about books!

~James
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

James ~

All through school I wasn't much of a reader, if that makes any sense. Maybe the idea of someone telling me what to read instantly turned me off. Maybe I was interested more in sports. Maybe I was just frigging lazy, or truly a dumbass. Whatever. I do recall two books that were required reading in High School that I enjoyed immensely, Tale of Two Cities and Red Badge of Courage . In fact, several years out of High School I re-read Tales of Two Cities, my wife's copy [she has a degree in English Literature].

After High School and College, I, like many young men at the time, had to go into the military. It was really there, of all places, I started to pick up an interest in reading, mainly because I was not a person who could easily mingle with others, so to fill whatever free time I had, I read ... whatever happened to be laying around. This included such moving works of literature as: Coffee, Tea, or Me and The Autobiography of Joan Baez and Twixt Twelve and Twenty [by Pat Boone, no less]. When I got out of the Army, it was my then girlfriend [now wife] who introduced me to H.P. Lovecraft [see my posting above], and this strange man fascinated me. So I read his books and his volumes of Selected Letters , and this began my love of fantasy fiction. I reckon I did start to collect this kind of fiction, though I never thought of it that way, I was just reading books and stories by Lovecraft and the Lovecraft cirle of writers. This branched out to artbooks by artisans connected with the field, like: Virgil Finlay, Hannes Bok, Frank Utpatel, Kelly Freas, etc., etc. Unfortunately, to make room in our small house, I am now selling some of my many beloved books. It's like selling friends, never to see them again. But books have overrun our house [my wife is also a reader]. Even here, in my office, my place of business, I must have 100 novels ... perhaps more. I wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of books in our refrigerator.

Over the last few years my reading has remained fiction, but ecletic. That is, I simply read whatever attracts my attention at the moment. For example, I am currently reading Hornet Flight by Ken Follett, a military thriller. The book I just finished was a classic , Jude the Obsure, by Thomas Hardy. Prior to Jude, I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. Prior to Jungle I tried to read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner ... one of the few books I've come across that needs to be put out of its misery with a thorough burning [let the fireworks begin!]. Hey, I even recently read a wonderful book by your man, Charly D, Barnaby Rudge.

Charles
Q E D
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

I highly recommend the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series starting with Master and Commander -- ". . .best novels ever written." Don't let the movie put you off -- it was in no way representative of the quality of these great naratives. Bet you can't read just one!
--Pat Thayer
Living well is the best revenge.
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Thanks, Chris, I've read Desparate Voyage -- great story -- I'll find the Graham book.

I have another to recommend to you -- Barrow's Boys , Fergus Fleming -- stories about British exploration -- "Mad dogs and Englishmen!"
Last edited by stbdtack on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Pat Thayer
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

I reckon at one time I "collected" comic books in that, as an adult, I very much enjoyed the works of many of the artists who were able to find an outlet in comics. Don't laugh, comics are very popular among adults in Japan. Unfortunately, as with my "normal" books, I have had to sell off many of my comics to retrieve some living space in my house. Fortunately, I was able to obtain some orignal oils, water colors, and pencil drawings from several of my favorite comic/fantasy artists ... on the landing of the staircase going to the 2nd floor of my house is a dramatic oil of Dracula ... which has on more than one occasion caught the attention [read "startled"] visitors to my abode.

Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Peter -

What exactly do you collect?

Charles
Q E D
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Let me introduce all of you history buffs (actually many of you may know him already) to a man named Samuel Pepys. Sam lived most of his life in and around London in the latter half of the 17th Century. From a working class family (his father was a tailor) he was well educated, including Cambridge, and worked his way to a very successful career serving the aristocracy of the time. What makes Pepys particulary special is that during a ten-year period, when he was a young man, he kept a detailed diary of his daily life. This diary is so well written, and so revealing of himself that it is called the best diary ever written. If you really want to feel what life was like in those days you owe it to yourself to read about Sam -- and, perhaps as I have done, read the unabridged version of the diaries, which run to almost 600 typed pages. As a starting point I recommend Samuel Pepys, The Unequalled Self by Claire Tomalin. The transcribed diaries (they were mostly written in shorthand) can be found at various internet sites -- sorry I don't have a specific URL at hand. Enjoy -- its a great adventure.
--Pat Thayer
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Okay, okay, I can't resist -- how did they know and what's the relevance??? -- as big as a tennis ball they say.
--Pat Thayer
stbdtack

Post by stbdtack »

Roger on the X-Ray!!!! --- OUCH!! -- though compared to the surgery. . . .

Amazing how far we've come in a relatively short period of years. 150 years later, in Maturin's time, surgical practice hadn't progressed all that far. This malady, I presume would be a pretty minor thing today -- though I have friends who complained bitterly about the pain of passing tiny kidney and bladder stones. Nice to live in modern times -- but I'll bet our decendants will shudder at our primitive practices.

As you said, Sam was grateful to be delivered from a dangerous and debilitating desease -- imagine the courage it took to undergo the surgical procedure -- all that pain -- and poor prognosis for recovery in the bargain.
--Pat Thayer
Lionhoo

Post by Lionhoo »

Wouldn't say that I collect books per se but I love reading and have about four full bookcases of reading material.

My prized possession in my bookcase is a first edition set of Winston Churchill's History of WWII. I found these at a library sale in Bethesda Maryland and got the entire set for about $15!

-Marshall
In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will
-W.S. Churchill

"Causa latet, vis est notissima!" -- Ovid
Cmk

Post by Cmk »

I love reading books!

This weekend (lazing about) I've read The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (very odd book, the noir-type characters don't really appeal to me) and The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende. Fantastic book.

On my way to work, I'm reading (on and off) The Great Shark Hunt (collected articles of the late Hunter S. Thompson) and A Brief History of Time: From The Big Bang to Black Holes by Stephen Hawking. Both are very interesting in their own right.

Last weekend I read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which was a great piece of science fiction.

Sitting in my shelf waiting to be read is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon, and HST's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Did I say I love reading? :)
What have I gotten myself into?