Lavender

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
verve

Post by verve »

Nice to see Atkinson's English Lavender getting a good rap on this board. Atkinson's is also my preferred "straight" lavender fragrance. It's brisk and refreshing, without any cloying sweetness. I find it quite long-lasting, as well.

For a more complex fragrance with oodles of lavender in it, I like Monsieur de Givenchy. A real classic fragrance, with bucketloads of beautiful lavender in it.
kix500

Duru Lavender Cologne

Post by kix500 »

Has anyone tried Duru Lavender Cologne out of Turkey?

www.tasteofturkey.com (Currently out of stock...)

Kix
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

That reminds me, Thanksgiving is right around the corner.
optimo

Post by optimo »

I recently bought two lavender colognes. Atkinsons English Lavender and Yardley English Lavender. If I compare these two colognes I like much more the Atkinsons cologne. The reason I writeing this is because I have got with Yardley cologne a Yardley English Lavender Perfumed Talc which has different scent from the Yardley cologne and I like this scent of lavender very much. The same name and company and different scent?? I am little confused. Are there any cologne with the scent like Yardley English Lavender Perfumed Talc? Is the scent of the Yardley Lavender soap the same? Any similarity with discontinuited Old English Lavender for Man? Or perhaps C&E Lavender Water?

Regards,

optimo
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Optimo, Gordon is the person to answer your question. However, if I remember correctly from his previous posts on the matter, Yardley stopped producing their original lavender cologne several decades ago. I think what is available now is not from the true Yardley....wait, I'm confused. Gordon, help straighten this out. How is it that the Yardley stuff sold in the US is not the same as the true-blue Yardley out of England? I don't understand how that works. I'm guessing by his name and syntax that Optimo is from Italy; what is he likely to have come across there? Also, I have no idea if the talc is from the true Yardley, or the knockoff Yardley.

Nathan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

optimo, The situation with Yardley is quite complex, as it is with Atkinsons. Just in case your are in Italy, the Atkinson's Lavender Water we are discussing is slightly different then what is available in Italy, similiar, but not the same. The stuff we get is bottled in the US by some mysterious company who I have never really been able to accurately pin down. In any case, yes, the Yardley Lavender Water that one gets here is either the real English stuff, or a very similiar cologne, that is made in Canada. It is a bit more 'feminine' then is the Atkinsons, which is a genuine gentleman's lavender water, like say Trumpers. I agree, the talc does smell somewhat different. We have some around right now, that I bought for my wife in New York. The Yardley Old English Lavender Water for men has not been made in decades, unfortunately. Yes, interestingly, the C&E Lavender Water is about the closest thing to it that's still around. Hope this helped. Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions if you wish, and I'll do my best to respond.
Regards,
Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Gordon, just to clarify: Yardley still makes a Lavender Water, and it is available here in the states, correct? However, this is not the same as the Yardley Old English Lavender Water, which was discontinued decades ago, right? Is the Old English Lavender Water what Frank Sinatra wore before it was discontinued, which prompted him to start wearing Puig? Where can one obtain the current Yardley Lavender Water, and how does it differ from the Old English Lavender Water?

Nathan
smf64

Post by smf64 »

Nathan,
I am enclosing the US site, where you can purchase the spray cologne, and the UK site, with the complete line.
Just curious, Was Sinatra using the Lavender water, or the Yardley man aftershave, which has been discontinued as well.
Maury
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nathan, Yes, the real English made Yardley Lavender Water is available in the US, but it's not easy to find. A few NYC shops, like Cambridge Chemists stock it, and it can be ordered online from Bridgham & Cook, and also the British Isles Store, in Houston, I believe. I actually have a couple of bottles of the 'parfum' strength, if you want to trade for something PM me.

Both the Yardley Old English Lavender, and the Yardley Lavender for Men ( which is the one Sinatra wore ) have not been made for decades now. I vaguely remember seeing it alone and in Xmas shaving sets when I was a kid in the 1950s. I really wish that they'd bring it back.
Regards,
Gordon
StereoStapp

Post by StereoStapp »

I am also a fan of Lavender and currently use Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender which has a woody tone with traces of vanilla.

I also have Santa Maria Novella in Lavender Amber whis is my personal favorite.
The day should begin with a shave and a doppio espresso
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Stereo, Ah, you clearly like those 'sweeter' basenotes. The Caron pour Homme, that we were discussing above, might appeal to you then. Have you checked out the SMN Imperial Lavender? As far as traditional lavender waters go, it's one of my favourites.
Regards,
Gordon
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

The SMN Imperial Lavender is excellent; since my standby haunt in the Pacific Northwest does not carry any SMN, I may just have to order it through Aedes.

Stereo, if you do like the sweeter lavender waters, you might want to try Annick Goutal lavender water. I'm not exactly sure of the notes in it, but it dries down to a sort of vanilla/tobacco/amber type of thing. It's very high quality, but it's just not my thing. But if you like it, or want to try it, I've got a barely used bottle (less than five times) I'd be willing to sell you for well under market value. It cost me a pretty penny, but it's not doing me any good just sitting there. PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Nathan
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

JackieMartling wrote:...since my standby haunt in the Pacific Northwest does not carry any SMN,...

Nathan
So, Nathan, where would this 'haunt' be? I mean, the Pacific Northwest is my stomping grounds - I'm going to Seattle this weekend, and would love to score some shaving condiments/lotions/potions/salves and balms.

-do tell-

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
StereoStapp

Post by StereoStapp »

Thanks for the tips gentlemen.
My wife and I try to go to Italy once a year and I tend to like the SMN product line.
I will try to wait until the next trip.

Stereo
The day should begin with a shave and a doppio espresso
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Lou, you have a PM.

Nathan
optimo

Post by optimo »

Nathan, Gordon, thank you for clarification. No, I don't live in Italy, but I am in the area, on the other side of Adriatic sea. I shall try the Italian version of Atkinsons English Lavender with a first opportunity, because it is bit complicated for me to order it from US every time I need it, as I did with these bottle. I recieved Yardley cologne and Talc from Germany, a friend of mine brought to me. Can you give me sugesstion which of existing shaving creams/soaps, based on yours experiance, have similar scent like Atkinsons English Lavender? Castle forbes, Coates, Taylor's, T&H or D.R.Harris?
Gordon, would you be so kind to describe your experiance with Penhaligon's Esprit de Lavande, you wrote in superlative earlier about it?

I am appologise for not responding immediately.

Regards,

optimo
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

optimo, Well, really, any of those top shelf English lavender shave creams that you mentioned would be close enough to the scent of Atkinsons Lavender Water. If I had to pick one, I say, get some of the D R Harris's. The scent is quite pronounced, and very similiar, but any of them would work.

Regarding the old Penhaligon's Espirit de Lavende, that's rather difficult. The scent was more complex and 'deeper' then many lavender waters, like Atkinsons. If you're familiar with Penhaligon's English Fern, it was a little closer to that.
Regards,
Gordon
optimo

Post by optimo »

Gordon, thank you very much.

Regards,

optimo
djr7572

Post by djr7572 »

After this reading this lengthy thread I just HAD to buy some Atkinsons English Lavender .... http://www.someplaceintime.com/67h349.html

Can't wait 'till it arrives !! :D
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

djr, Good for you. If you're a fan of English lavender, you're almost bound to like it, and it's a great bargain. I just checked it out in NYC again, last week, and it was a good as I remembered it. If I didn't have some lavender water around, and if I hadn't just bought that Rooney brush, I would have picked up a bottle. I'm quite sure I will, on my next trip up that way. Enjoy.
Regards,
Gordon