Another Good Shaving Forum.......

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

KAV wrote:I know I have pushed the envelope on some posts. But at days end, who cares if a giant meteor is hurling toward earth: I just found a new aftershave.
And sometimes, that is all you can hope for. Gordon can tell you of my dances with scents, lol.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

If you find the right aftershave, it will dissolve the meteor or scare it away with its foul scent.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

You really shouldn't have invited me, kenstee. Otherwise I shouldn't have noticed that you were merely obeying the commands of your evil overlord.

Chris
Me? I'd pick a better overlord.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

drmoss_ca wrote:You really shouldn't have invited me, kenstee. Otherwise I shouldn't have noticed that you were merely obeying the commands of your evil overlord.

Chris
Me? I'd pick a better overlord.
Such megalomaniacs.

Perhaps the OP might spend some time here and find that this is a fine place to converse in addition or inplace of the Garden of Eden he professes.

I will keep my bookmarks as is.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Much as we might look with disdain on attempts to draw custom elsewhere, I shall keep this thread alive for 'entertainment purposes only'!

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

drmoss_ca wrote:Well, when you have been banned from every other forum on the topic, what's a guy to do? Obviously, you set up your own...

Chris
I am reminded of one of my more obnoxious peers from back in my sandbox days who, when he did not get his way, would scoop up his army men and stomp off home.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I am much more comfortable on SMF than any of the other shave forums. IMHO, SMF is more "shave technique" oriented and much closer knit. I very much enjoy exchanging shaving experiences, asking questions, letting folks know what works for me (or not).

Ed
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

I too am a member at both forums. I have in the past sold razors and used B&B and SMF for this purpose. But as far as stopping in for a short visit SMF has been my only source of shave wisdom. I wish I had more time to be more active and have thousands of responses but I don't.
As an observer, B&B has an overtone to it. My impression is it’s habited by younger members. It reminds me of another forum I frequent "Ask Andy" and the "Style forum". Each discusses clothes but each has its own tone to it.
SMF always makes me feel welcome, almost as if I was sitting in a friendly barber shop or bar with friends.
Regards,
Tom
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

bflotom2 wrote:I too am a member at both forums. I have in the past sold razors and used B&B and SMF for this purpose. But as far as stopping in for a short visit SMF has been my only source of shave wisdom. I wish I had more time to be more active and have thousands of responses but I don't.
As an observer, B&B has an overtone to it. My impression is it’s habited by younger members. It reminds me of another forum I frequent "Ask Andy" and the "Style forum". Each discusses clothes but each has its own tone to it.
SMF always makes me feel welcome, almost as if I was sitting in a friendly barber shop or bar with friends.
Thank you. You touched a nerve there - we are not interested in popularity contests nor in making money from our members. We simply - are. Come and go as you please, contribute as you can, knowing that each post here ensures a richer future for others who will join and read and contribute in their turn. Forums set up by vendors, forums that make money from vendors, and forums that become vendors all have their purposes and value, but at the end of it all, a forum that simply exists to give voice to its members without a profit motive on anyone's part is something special.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Buford T. Justice

Post by Buford T. Justice »

I am still a noob here and I like this forum. I am also a member of B&B. I might sign up for The Shave Den, but SMF and B&B keep me busy. Especially B&B which seems to get 100s of new posts each day. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, lol.

I prefer PHP forum software to VB forum software.

Since I am dwelling on this (not meant to offend or irritate), I wonder why B&B is more popular? When I got interested in DE shaving and was researching different DE razor models using Bing and Yahoo search, there was always a top result for B&B. I think I found out about SMF on accident.

I like both SMF and B&B.
Date Format I Like For PROFILE > DATE FORMAT...
n/j/Y g:i:s A
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

Biting my tongue. :-# Too close to a political discussion.

That said, I bought my favorite razor while a [former] member there, my favorite soap while a member here, and read my favorite posts here on SMF.

NNNN
Ed
Asd

Post by Asd »

In fact, I surfed trough many forums before making my user account here. The feeling of some kind of old-style gentlemen club attracts me. No hurry, no one shouts, the atmosphere of respect with some bit of humor. When newbie comes with a question that was discussed for 1000 times, it is discussing for the 1001 time with the cross-links to all important data about it. That's why now I surf over other forums for reviews only.
-A knifeless man is a lifeless man! -
Nordic proverb
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

I went and checked it out. Anything that gets Chris so animated must be worth a look!

It felt like walking into a strange bar where I didn't know anybody.

--Glenn
King-D

Post by King-D »

KAV wrote: But at days end, who cares if a giant meteor is hurling toward earth: I just found a new aftershave.
:lol:

Is somebody writing these down?
David

Shave in the shower!
stagger

Post by stagger »

I like Damn Fine Shave and SMF equally well. I think 2 forums is a plenty for me.
Regards,
Mark -
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

This thread is entertaining. Thank you gents. Keep it real.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night :D
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I enjoy this forum for the great wealth of information (Gordon & Michael, mainly) but also post on The shaving Room where my typically English sarcasm and irony (we call it 'banter') is tolerated.

Now then, why can't we all just get along together in perfect harmony, side-by-side on my piano, keyboard, oh Lord.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Buford T. Justice wrote:I am still a noob here and I like this forum. I am also a member of B&B. I might sign up for The Shave Den, but SMF and B&B keep me busy. Especially B&B which seems to get 100s of new posts each day. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not, lol.

I prefer PHP forum software to VB forum software.

Since I am dwelling on this (not meant to offend or irritate), I wonder why B&B is more popular? When I got interested in DE shaving and was researching different DE razor models using Bing and Yahoo search, there was always a top result for B&B. I think I found out about SMF on accident.

I like both SMF and B&B.
I'm also a member of various shaving forums. But I think it would be difficult to determine which one is the most popular. I've not seen any statistical data that would indicate that fact. Each has it's merits and we associate ourselves with the one(s) with which we feel most comfortable for whatever reason.

My "GO TO" forum is this one, SMF. I visit the others and may occasionally post a response or initiate a thread, but my "Home" is here. You can get honest knowledgeable responses to questions. Some here probably were around when the razor was invented and have forgotten more facts about shaving than I can remember. You can have an argument here and no one will be mad or hold a grudge. It's like a family and you would be surprised at how giving the members are when it's found out that someone is in need. I've seen it, and there's no bragging or thumping of the chest saying "look what I've done" for so and so. It's usually done behind the scene. I've also been a recipient of PIF items and gifts. A member just decided I needed another Merkur Razor and mailed it to me. No questions asked. You can't ask for better than that.

I've ranted long enough. I hope you stay and become and active member of SMF. If you have questions; ask away. If you have a suggestion or an opinion; let's hear it, if you disagree with something; bring it on, open dialogue is welcome.

And as always the object of the game is to: ENJOY YOUR SHAVE.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

In addition to SMF I belong to Badger & Blade and the Shave Den. I visit SMF almost exclusively, as I find B&B somewhat purile and the Shave Den leaves me cold.

Edit for full disclosure: I bought a B&B 2008 LE Kent shaving brush and it is excellent, so Joel, et al can get somethings right. :lol: