Simpsons

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Gary Young

Simpsons

Post by Gary Young »

Hi all. Well Peter kindly welcomed me to this site. It is very heart warming hearing the amount of interest in the history of Simpson Brushes. Feel free to ask any questions. I have been bombarded over the last 24hrs on the other forum site so please bear with me if I don't answer staright away. I will do my very best!
Gary
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

True story: When I saw the title of this topic, I thought, "Well, here's another newbie asking about brushes. I'll answer his thread, telling him that Simpson brushes are in general the best ones on the market, and to go ahead with his purchase."

Apparently, I needn't have bothered with that. :)

Welcome, Gary!

If it's necessary to bring in a history question to keep myself on topic, I might as well dream big: I would love to know something of the historical outline of the use of different grades or types of badger hair for shaving brushes.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

No you don't!! I will always see Simpsons as the Rolls Royce of the shaving brush world. And I will argue this out with anyone (and know that I will always win!!).

Leave the brush history alone, trust me!! It is such a personal thing. There are many reasons why we used the different badger hair grades. This is my 2nd day looking at shaving forums and I haven't seen any threads yet about hog bristle brushes that we used to make!
Gary
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

I knew that Simpson had made 'Boar' brushes at one point in time. Do you recall if hair brushes were ever produced?

Best,
Fitch
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Certainly do. When Great Uncle Alex moved the business to Nimmer, Somerset in 1941 we shared the mill with Coate's brushes. Eventually Simpson and Coate's joined and our family owned and ran both businesses together. Simpsons making all the shaving brushes and Coate's making the hair, nail and tooth brushes. I used to make both shaving and hair
Gary
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

That's a neat memory I bet for you Gary. Do recall any details about the manufacture of ivory-handled shave brushes? Also, were a lot of bespoke brushes made for the American market?

Best,
Fitch
diggity

Post by diggity »

Welcome aboard, Gary. Great to have you as a part of the community. Your family's shave brushes are very well respected here.
Nathan
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

Most definitely! We used to make a large quantity of ivory handled brushes for the UK, US and other markets. Not cheap brushes - and a bit nerve racking to make sometimes, since you are making handles from an expensive material. We did make some bespoke brushes for individual clients in the US (2 who resided in a large house in Washington!) but most bespoke brushes were for british clients - including British royals. Although we did make some solid gold handled shaving brushes and hair brushes for an Arabic prince in the mid 80s
Gary
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Nothing like a US President owning a Simpsons!

Max
diggity

Post by diggity »

Gary Young wrote:Most definitely! We used to make a large quantity of ivory handled brushes for the UK, US and other markets. Not cheap brushes - and a bit nerve racking to make sometimes, since you are making handles from an expensive material. We did make some bespoke brushes for individual clients in the US (2 who resided in a large house in Washington!) but most bespoke brushes were for british clients - including British royals. Although we did make some solid gold handled shaving brushes and hair brushes for an Arabic prince in the mid 80s
:shock: :P
Nathan
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

That's fascinating stuff Gary and no doubt! Many kind thanks to you for sharing.

President's Reagan and Bush Sr. perhaps?

Solid Gold! Well, he may have been in his "Solid Gold" dancers stage at that point-in-time.....ahem.....*whistle*.

Best,
Fitch
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

I won't give names I'm afraid!!
Gary
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

Of course...certainly not!

Just me 'sticking-out' my elbows..... and thinking out-loud.

You've been very generous to share some details.

Did you ever witness the production of "Coate's" brand shaving cream?

Best,
Fitch
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Gary, welcome.

I'm moving your thread to the Shaving Brushes forum where I think it would be better suited and receive more passing traffic.

Gareth
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary speaking for myself I would like to hear about boar or any other hair used in Simpson brushes.
Regards,
Squire
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

[/quote] Did you ever witness the production of "Coate's" brand shaving cream? [/quote]

In hindsight, I guess that would of been after ownership had changed from your family. Forgive, for trying to wear you out so soon Gary.

One particular detail ,I quite liked, about Simpson brushes was the 'distinct' lampblacking on handle. That would've been an enjoyable daily task I bet....*laugh*.

Best,
Fitch
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

It's a curious phenomenon,connecting high profile people to products.
I owned a Griffen & Howe rifle made for Tyrone Powers with ownership and provenance given by a family member. G &H to this day maintains confidential files. Given how quickly a public figure can rise and fall endorsements are a odd way to sell merchandise.

Gary, I am curious about wartime production? With rationing and privations was the product line simplified or MOD contracts taken?
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

What's your favorite memory of growing up in the Simpson's family business?
Jason

Post by Racso_MS »

Hey, can you send me a freebie... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Not really (or maybe) but I'd really like to read a short history of the company. You may want to make it an attachment (if you can) in a Word document or something like that. Or, if you have a link to a website with the information, I'm good with that.

Again, Welcome aboard.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can see where this is going. I move we give Gary a little breathing space.
Regards,
Squire