Simpsons

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

We wouldn't let you do that Gary! I would be thrilled to see you running your family business again some day. Since you arrived on SMF I have been cherishing my brushes made in Nimmer Mill more than ever, some of which, may have been produced by Stan himself. Merry Christmas to you and yours indeed.

Max
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

This is great! Welcome, Gary.

I was inspired to use my Duke 3 Best for my Christmas eve shave.

Of course it is my favorite soap brush, so I may well have used it anyway!!
John
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

Hah, I used my Duke 2 for my Christmas eve shave with some Trumpers Almond!

Gary, I won't ask any questions, but I will wish you and your family a happy holiday!
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

And a very Happy Christmas to all you guys as well
Gary
mlp2147

Post by mlp2147 »

Having started this wet shaving craze less than two years ago I've often tried to find one of these brushes and with no luck... seeing these posts over the past couple of days makes me want one even more.

Thanks for sharing Gary!
Mike
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have to display my ignorance here. I think I understood that Simpsons moved to Somerset in 1941. So what constitutes a Somerset Simpsons brush? What time frame are the Somersets? And for what qualities are they known? If someone knowledgeable has a moment to enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.
_______
John
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

churchilllafemme wrote:I have to display my ignorance here. I think I understood that Simpsons moved to Somerset in 1941. So what constitutes a Somerset Simpsons brush? What time frame are the Somersets? And for what qualities are they known? If someone knowledgeable has a moment to enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.
Not a Clue "BUT"

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
Come often and stay long... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

churchilllafemme wrote:I have to display my ignorance here. I think I understood that Simpsons moved to Somerset in 1941. So what constitutes a Somerset Simpsons brush? What time frame are the Somersets? And for what qualities are they known? If someone knowledgeable has a moment to enlighten me, I'd really appreciate it.
Somerset Timeline:

1941 - 1990: Based at Nimmer Mills, Nimmer, Nr. Chard, Somerset.
-the business was owned and ran by the actual Simpson family (my Great Uncle, Grandfather and Father/Mother)
1990 - 2008: Based in Ilminster, Somerset (about 5 miles from Nimmer).
-the business was owned by David Carter/Francis Woodhouse (no Simpson family connections)

Hope this helps

Gary
Gary
churchilllafemme

So am I correct in assuming that a Somerset Simpsons brush just means one that was made between 1941 and 2008? Thanks, everybody.

John
_______
John
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

The qualities the Nimmer brushes were known for was:
1. Business owned and run by the original Simpson family - we actually took part in all aspects of making the brushes, admin, selling, tours arounds our factory, etc.
2.All machinery was powered by water wheel - unique to the brush making industry.
3. All brushes were designed by original Simpson family members.
4. Very traditional glueing techniques and glues used - no epoxy resins, etc (all natural products).
5. Brushes could be made from catalin, imitation ivory and real ivory (no brushes were 'legally' made out of ivory after our ownership and up to the ivory ban)
6. Customers could meet Simpson family members when discussing/purchasing brushes

Yes I am biased but there are too many qualities to mention concerning Simpson brushes that were made during our times. I personally don't class David Carter era brushes as Somerset Simpson brushes! I have said this before but really the 3 generations of Simpson brushes should be classed as:
Original Simpson - family owned (London and Somerset)
Carter era Simpson - when the business was owned by David Carter
Vulfix/Simpson - when Mark and his very capable team took over the helm
Gary
Gary
churchilllafemme

Gary, thank you so much.

John
_______
John
jss

Post by jss »

John, Welcome to SMF, ignorance and all.... :wink:

Best regards,

Julian
Last edited by jss on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jss

Post by jss »

Gary Young wrote:The qualities the Nimmer brushes were known for was:
1. Business owned and run by the original Simpson family - we actually took part in all aspects of making the brushes, admin, selling, tours arounds our factory, etc.
2.All machinery was powered by water wheel - unique to the brush making industry.
3. All brushes were designed by original Simpson family members.
4. Very traditional glueing techniques and glues used - no epoxy resins, etc (all natural products).
5. Brushes could be made from catalin, imitation ivory and real ivory (no brushes were 'legally' made out of ivory after our ownership and up to the ivory ban)
6. Customers could meet Simpson family members when discussing/purchasing brushes

Yes I am biased but there are too many qualities to mention concerning Simpson brushes that were made during our times. I personally don't class David Carter era brushes as Somerset Simpson brushes! I have said this before but really the 3 generations of Simpson brushes should be classed as:
Original Simpson - family owned (London and Somerset)
Carter era Simpson - when the business was owned by David Carter
Vulfix/Simpson - when Mark and his very capable team took over the helm
Gary
Gary thanks for this post and the one above..Worthy of a bookmark....

Julian
lfb

Post by lfb »

Gary Young wrote: 5. Brushes could be made from catalin, imitation ivory and real ivory (no brushes were 'legally' made out of ivory after our ownership and up to the ivory ban)
Gary,

Do I understand this correctly, that real ivory Simpson brushes were only made when the company was owned by your family?

Leo
drP
Shaving Brush Stockpiler

Post by drP »

lfb wrote:
Gary Young wrote: 5. Brushes could be made from catalin, imitation ivory and real ivory (no brushes were 'legally' made out of ivory after our ownership and up to the ivory ban)
Gary,

Do I understand this correctly, that real ivory Simpson brushes were only made when the company was owned by your family?

Leo
I think that in the David Carter era (>1990) the trade in ivory was already banned/illegal...
Peter
Gary Young

Post by Gary Young »

drP wrote:
lfb wrote:
Gary,

Leo
I think that in the David Carter era (>1990) the trade in ivory was already banned/illegal...
Yes but there was a massive problem with ivory brushes being sold at Trumpers. Brushes were confiscated and there were articles in national newspapers over what happened. This was due to old stock brushes being provided which were not licensed, etc, etc. Not a good time for Mr Carter....
Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Indeed. That whole scene was bad berries for both Mr. Carter and for Trumper. At the time, a British member here linked us to some of the newspaper stories etc. Most unfortunate.
Regards,
Gordon
lfb

Post by lfb »

drP wrote:
lfb wrote:
Gary,

Leo
Many people believe all trading in ivory is illegal, but the matter is more complex. In the case Gary mentioned, Trumper, to quote a Times article from October 2006, "pleaded guilty to charges of keeping items of endangered species for sale contrary to Control of Trade in Endangered Species (Enforcement) Regulations 1997." The article also stated that they "did not have a certificate allowing the items to be displayed or evidence that the ivory had been produced before 1947, which would have made it legal." I don't recall that suppliers were mentioned in any of these reports, but Gary implies that Simpson was one of the suppliers and hence did manufacture ivory brushes after 1990. (The items in the Trumper case did not only include shaving brushes.)

Leo
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Am I right in remembering that those brushes were said to have been turned from old ivory billiard balls? The problem was in proving the provenance.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yes, I think so, if they were the same type that was briefly offered by TGS....which, BTW, were made by Simpson. So, it was claimed that this was 'old ivory' but apparently they couldn't prove it to the satisfaction of the powers that be.
Regards,
Gordon